I like The Beatles originals better than I like The Rolling Stones originals, but...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

......I like the Stones early covers better than I like the Beatles covers.:huh

2. Gargloic

Gargloic Member

The young Beatles were Rock and roll fans, the young Stones were blues fans.

I guess that tells us you like blues better than rock and roll

Gargloic

3. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Just like Zeppelin.
    Nearly ALL blues lovers borrowed from each other for the love of the music. Its all cool.

4. rw2003

rw2003 Member

I still love those early Stones albums. I remember back in the early 70s as a kid my mom found these 2 at a yard sale and bought them for me.... I still have them!

[​IMG]
    Tracks include: Not Fade Away; Route 66; I'm a King Bee.

[​IMG]

Tracks include:Around and Around; Time is on myside; Its All Over Now; Susie-Q

5. greyhound

greyhound Supporting Member

I bought the Rolling Stones 12x5 when was it was first released. Loved it then and still play it on cd now. My favorite song on there was the instrumental, 2120 South Michigan Avenue. Just love the groove and feel on it.

6. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

My high school Band the Joyfull Noise, in 1965/66 did two sets of Stone's songs. We called our singer Kenneth Horne, "Mick", because he could nail Mick Jagger's voice and additionally played good harmonica.

We did album cuts such as The Singer Not the Song, and When Blue Turns to Grey.

Of course we had to do the bluesy Little Red Rooster, and Berryish Route 66. Gosh, we even did their hits. The album cuts WERE usually the most fun.

When they began to substitute weird or "cool" for musically passion, I became much less interested. I think Bitch was the only later song i liked. Honkey Tonk Women is cool, but like all overplayed songs........

will richardson

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

The Stones are another example of a band that really had no idea about what they were doing in the studio which was great, because they always come up with things that broke the rules without even meaning to.
    Like the "drums" in street fighting man. Sounds like he is rapping the top of a Quaker Oats box with a #2 pencil.

8. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Also, in "Street Fighting Man"(and "Jumpin' Jack Flash"): Keith amplifying an acoustic guitar with a little cassette recorder, for some cool and unusual timbres.

IMHO The Stones came up with some fine original material in the late '60s and early '70s(1966's Aftermath was their 1st LP of all original tunes.) "We Love You", Monkey Man", etc.: Great stuff.

9. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I think this is partially true, but can be overstated as well.

Those of early 'boomers' who grew up on both the Beatles and Stones did not pay much attention to the blues through either of these bands, frankly.
    The Stones in their early albums and early touring years were mainly a Chuck Berry emanation outfit. I don't think it was until Beggars Banquet that us white boy fans noticed anything we could discern as "the blues." I don't argue that Keef or Brian Jones or Jagger weren't early fans, of course they were. I'm just talking about the Stones as a performing product, so to speak.

It wasn't until stuff like Mayall/Yardbirds and especially Cream that guys like me noticed any connective influence of the blues with the Brits.

My view from the mid 60's, anyway.

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, I did. I was fascinated by the songs on the first three Stones albums, checking out the songwriting credits and then checking out the original artists. For me the Stones first three albums was my introduction to the blues, and American blues artists.

11. Keasley

Keasley Member

I agree with the premise of this thread to a point.

The Stones covers may be of a slightly higher consistent quality but there is nothing in the Stones cover catalog that can touch the Beatles best covers: specifically 'Twist and Shout' (but I would also argue 'Money' for sure and maybe Long Tall Sally and Roll Over Beethoven). Twist and Shout is among the best records ever made, cover or original...

12. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Word.

Rob