1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I LIKE the M9 Tube Screamer Model. Am I weird?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dhdfoster, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I see a lot of post of people not really liking the OD models on the M9/13, but I honestly think the TS model is very nice. I've used just the M9 for quite a few gigs and rehearsals now and I think my tone is better than with my pedals. For the past year I've been using a Barber Tone Pump, 1/2 Gainer, and a Carl Martin AC Tone in steady rotation, but now I leave them at home. The M9 is clear, fat, warm, woody and natural sounding in a way that really impressed me. I play in a roots rockabilly band and I'm a bit of a purist, but the tone I'm getting is what I've been after for quite some time. Good job Line 6!

2. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

i think they're alright, not bad.

3. Soler

Soler Member

I think that the Tubescreamer model is the best sounding model in the yellow set. I´m still using a Keeley moded TS-9 though. It is the only analog pedal I am taking to the gigs.

4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

the tube screamer model is actually very good. imo, the best drives on it are that one, the tube drive, the colordrive, and the line 6 drive. The rest range from just meh...to absolutely awful (the buzz saw).

The first four I mentioned are the ones I use live.

5. furry

furry Senior Member

yes, the TS is the best one in there. The Blues Driver is pretty good too. I find that my analog dirt boxes are more dynamic and seem to have more harmonics, but the models are certainly usable.

6. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

which one is the blues driver?

I also find my analog pedals to be a little more organic and dynamic but I have no problem sacrificing that for the versatility and simplicity mine gives me. It's the only pedal I use live. I don't even use my amp's drive channel at the moment. All my distortions and fx come from the line 6. (I have the M13 but it's the same models)

7. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Yeah the TS is great. It's nice having that bass control on there. I got it to sound very close to my Toadworks TF (808 clone).

Also I spent some time yesterday developing a DLS model out of the Classic Distortion. After A/B'ing them pretty extensively, I can barely tell the difference. Even cleans up the same way. I found the key to the Classic Dist is to keep the gain and treble low and the filter all the way up. I'll post the settings on the settings thread later. But it seems if you turn a knob just one tick, you have to compensate with the rest. Very Mesa-ish. :D

The Line 6 drive is cool too but there's this raspiness that I cannot dial out. Very OCD-ish. The mid control on that one seems to have the most effect, but when cranking it up it gets very trebly.

Bottom line--the drives can be are great if you're willing to spend some time tweaking them. I've read that a million times on here, but now finally having an M9 myself, I've come to find that it's the absolute truth!

As far as asking if you're weird for liking something? That's up to you.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. ElDiabloBlanco

ElDiabloBlanco Member

The classic distortion (Rat) sounds very good to me as well. I'm using two variations of the tube screamer on one scene and two of the classic distortion on another ( alternate between a lower and higher gain) and that's about all I need on the dirt side probably 90% of the time.

9. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I actually like it as well. The M13 has kicked of a few drives from my board.

10. almogaver

almogaver Member

I agree on the fact that the M13 has some great dirt boxes in it, the Screamer being one of them.
    I also dig the Tube Drive, Classic Distortion and Line 6 Drive.
    For high gain stuff, the Line 6 Distortion does it for me.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  11. furry

furry Senior Member

sorry, Tube Drive

12. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Interesting. The dist models are not bad at all and can sound really good with enough tweaking. In fact, the comp/boost didn't need any tweaking at all and I use it a lot. If need be, I can use the m13 itself, but I prefer keeping my 1/2 gainer around.

13. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Member

I was messing around with the classic distortion today and would love to see those DLS settings as well. Let us know when you post them.

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

15. Mincer

Mincer Member

I cloned the exact sound of my TS (and my Bad Monkey).

16. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

My standalone RAT (in the loop, between 1st and 2nd) LOOOOOOOOVES to be boosted (input) by the Tube Screamer (clean boost), Tube Driver (OD) and Classic Distortion/RAT (gritty boost).

I think that the drive models are great, but some of the fuzzes really take some effort to dial in good sounds. But good sounds can be found.

17. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Here's my crude attempt at showing you guys the DLS setting I stumbled across--just set the levels on your display to be directly over the bolded letter in the parameter names below. After I'm done shoveling 2 feet of snow off my yard and driveway I'll post a pic in the "settings" thread and link it here. I had the DLS on Rawk and 18v, but you can do Rock simply by turning the drive down a couple ticks.

How close it comes is subjective, but I A/B's quite a while with the real thing and this is pretty close to me. If anyone fine tunes it to be "closer" feel free to post an update.

Classic Distortion

DRIVE
    BASS
    FILTER (dimed)
    TREBLE
    OUTPUT (adj to taste)

I also came up with a VERY serviceable uni-vibe setting which I will post later...

18. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I find several of the OD/Distortions quite good, but the only one I'm using is the Tube Drive. Very awesome. Some I don't like because I don't even like what they model. But yes, the TS is pretty useful.

19. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

I have my m9, i love it, and i was incredibly surprised by the dirt sounds i found in there. But, I've got enough awesome dirt circuitry running in pedal form on my board right now, so i think ill stick to that, and just let my m9 live on as my modulation/delay/reverb pool :D

20. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Try the Mid Focused EQ as an Overdrive... I love it! Seems to clean up with the volume knob pretty well which is my main problem with most of the OD models in the M9.