I like the Way Huge Fat Sandwich. What else would I like?

KBN

I'm really digging the Fat Sandwich. It really shines in the mix and has just the right amount of splat and fuzz with good mid content. There's kind of an overdrive-y character in there with the distortion that I like. Looking for a few suggestions for pedals that share some similarities, but maybe a little less of the fuzziness inherent to the Fat Sandwich. Maybe something that would complement it. What do you think?

I'm playing humbuckers and mostly a Reeves Custom 50 through a Hi-Tone 2x12. I love a good Rat, but not what I'm looking for. My other favorite drives are Lovepedal Amp 11 and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine mkii.

Daytona57

The FS is a very flexible pedal, for low gain with a lot of sustain, with humbuckers, is very nice.

I stack my FS into a Red Llama, for a boost or low gain FS into RL for a double RL. The final gain stage on the Fat Sandwich is a Red Llama circuit.

The FS is capable of a myriad tones, if you spend the time to twist the controls.

YMMV

KBN

To be clear, I'm not looking to replace it. Just wondering if there are similar things I could also enjoy.

strawberries

To be clear, I'm not looking to replace it. Just wondering if there are similar things I could also enjoy.
Have you ever tried an mxr badass distortion?Based on a ds1 but much better because when you press the little button you get LED clipping. Way back when people were paying keeley big bucks to do that mod and you can buy that pedal used for 40 to 50 bucks. Kind of reminds me a less fuzzy fat sandwich.

KBN

I would have said a rat but in ur OP u said no to that
Maybe I should explore some rat-adjacent pedals. Are there any rats with expanded eq possibilities? The standard rat leaves me wanting with my current setup. Running into a Bassman, however, it was perfect.

KBN

Have you ever tried an mxr badass distortion?Based on a ds1 but much better because when you press the little button you get LED clipping. Way back when people were paying keeley big bucks to do that mod and you can buy that pedal used for 40 to 50 bucks. Kind of reminds me a less fuzzy fat sandwich.
I have a good old DS-1 and quite like it, especially when I run it with an SD-1. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I'm really digging the Fat Sandwich. It really shines in the mix and has just the right amount of splat and fuzz with good mid content. There's kind of an overdrive-y character in there with the distortion that I like. Looking for a few suggestions for pedals that share some similarities, but maybe a little less of the fuzziness inherent to the Fat Sandwich. Maybe something that would complement it. What do you think?

I'm playing humbuckers and mostly a Reeves Custom 50 through a Hi-Tone 2x12. I love a good Rat, but not what I'm looking for. My other favorite drives are Lovepedal Amp 11 and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine mkii.
I'd suggest you to try a distortion based on CMOS inverters same as the Fat Sandwich but with more simple circuit architecture.
You may want to try BJFe Cliffhanger II and other pedals built around that circuit like Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion or Chris Custom Dirty Cat.
As it was mentioned earlier Way Huge Red Llama is a great option too.
All these pedals have the same DNA.

The JAM Pedals Rattler seems to take the RAT-type sound to a different, and arguably better, place. Might be worth checking out.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor

DS1.

Trust me.

You like that. Get an old DS1 and give it a whirl. Latest iteration SMD version could not be better.

Give it a chance. Your ganna like it.

50 bucks....deal of the century.

Reactions: KBN

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
I'd suggest you to try a distortion based on CMOS inverters same as the Fat Sandwich but with more simple circuit architecture.
You may want to try BJFe Cliffhanger II and other pedals built around that circuit like Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion or Chris Custom Dirty Cat.
As it was mentioned earlier Way Huge Red Llama is a great option too.
All these pedals have the same DNA.
The Mythos Chupacabra is another one. It's inspired by early Willie G. tones (says Zach Broyles, the maker).

KBN

DS1.

Trust me.

You like that. Get an old DS1 and give it a whirl. Latest iteration SMD version could not be better.

Give it a chance. Your ganna like it.

50 bucks....deal of the century.
So I dug out my old DS1 again. Last year I posted a thread about how I had modded and re-modded it over the years and then I finally put it back to stock and figured out that Boss knew what they were doing. As much as I thought I had figured out that stock was the best way to have a DS1, it still ended up back in the drawer.

Last night I realized my mistake. I was judging the DS1 on its own rather than in a mix. I pulled up some drum tracks and played along. Without drums it seemed a little scooped with sizzling high end and some wumpy lows. Sounded good, but I wanted to eq some of those things out. With the drums everything just sounded huge. High end sizzle reinforced and blended with cymbals. Low end didn't fight with the kick. Plenty of room in the middle for vocals and other guitars.

I also learned that it sounds great being boosted with a Joyo Sweet Baby od.

jvin248

Are you stacking it?
The Joyo pedal is used here for a cab sim to direct recording, but has quite a range of tones on its own.

Joyo on its own

Have you tried Fuzz? This one was $20 new.

Trending Topics