• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I love Gearmanndude, but...

theGhost

Seriously... I think he's an awesome dude, he's fun in his demos videos, and most of all we all owe him a debt of gratitude for the hundreds of demos, shootouts, and other vids he's made for the greater good of us tonequesters.

BUT...

After listening to probably hundreds of his vids, I have to honestly admit that a lot of the time I can't really tell that much difference between the pedals. Between the compression Youtube and the general lack of clarity in the recording process, I'm definitely left wanting. I have no doubt that were I with him listening in person things would be much different, but as it is, I'm coming to the point where I don't feel like I can really trust his vids to get an accurate feel for what a pedal sounds like except in the biggest differences (i.e. - amounts of gain and large eq differences). There have even been several times where his videos made things seem similar enough to where I got a pedal and was really disappointed in the pedal.

But I'm not down on just GMD - cause I certainly feel this way about other's Youtube demos too, and even PGS has really led me astray on what a pedal's basic sound is into a clean amp. Overall, I'm caught, because I appreciate all the vid demos out there (well, most of them), but sometimes they don't really seem to do anything for me...

Idk... maybe I'm just crazy. Anybody else feel this way?

Tibbonds

His demos are literally useless. Seems like a cool guy though.

Exactly the same problem as the really old PGS demos, the amp choice and settings means all you're hearing is how the amp sounds boosted.

tenheartbeats

I agree totally sound wise. I think most of it is YouTube. I think the more important question is this: how are you able to tell the difference between pedals and what they can really do if you just hear shredding and blues played every single demo? I mean, he's so good at the guitar that it's sickening, but a little diversity could help differentiate things. *unecessary complaining ended*

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I just wish he'd use a more mainstream amp (don't know what his Dr Z sounds like in person) and record with a mic instead of the camera.

He's done a ton of demos for products that others haven't, though, and will always watch his demos. I kinda feel the same way about PGS demos sometimes; like the dirt pedals sound the same despite the rave description.

mspizziri

I find his demos to be really fun, but when it comes to really wanting to hear what a pedal sounds like I prefer Burgerman

Cream

Not The Brightest Member
Silver Supporting Member
I appreciate his time but, the only demos on the internet of any value are PGS'.

I went to one of GMD's "shootout" videos and he was using a Blues Jr., coily cable, camera mic, and 240p. WTF?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Could it be that most dirt pedals are simply TS variants, so tone variation is subtle?:hide2

Jules-RM

I just wish he'd use a more mainstream amp (don't know what his Dr Z sounds like in person) and record with a mic instead of the camera.

:agree

His "clean tone" totally makes it impossible to give you any idea what the pedals actually sound like on any amp other than his, with his settings. If he's doing them for himself, sure - have fun. But for the rest of us it's kind of pointless.

Burgs has been my go to guy for a while now.

scolfax

I disagree to a point. "Useless" is way overstating it, but the sound could be improved.

I guess the best comparison would be Burgs or Andy at PGS. But in my experience the PGS videos sound *too good* compared to how the pedals end up sounding coming out of my amp.

I love Gearmandude, and will never stop watching his vids.

Tibbonds

Burgs does the best demo videos by a mile. He uses a proper clean tone, and mics things up so the sound quality is great.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, his clean tone is usually as dirty as the pedals he's testing. Fun to watch, but worthless as an indicator. Youtube compression aside, I can't even get a sense of a pedal's texture. I know it's silly to bitch about a free service, but it just seems like an actual clean amp is the logical choice.

johnny5

Silver Supporting Member
I think the problem with his vids is like was said above, his amp is always set dirty and uses ALL the dirt pedals (OD, Dist, Fuzz) as a booster. DrZ amps are great but when you run any good tube amp that hot, you can use a single good booster (TS or otherwise) and get pretty much to the same point, as GMD proves over and over again.

It really doesn't demonstrate anything about the pedals except that, if you have the luxury of cranking your tube amp all the time, you don't need a bunch of pedals.....

I much prefer Burgs demos and I like Bobby D's and roknfnrol's as well.

theGhost

His demos are literally useless. Seems like a cool guy though.

Exactly the same problem as the really old PGS demos, the amp choice and settings means all you're hearing is how the amp sounds boosted.

I don't remember how old of a video it is, but the PGS demo of the HBE Full Metal Jacket made that pedal sound SOOO badass. I got it totally because of that demo, and boy was I disappointed...

doesn't this only apply to overdrives

Thus the bias of my post ;) Those are the only ones I've listened to anyways. Although, if you're wanting to hear just how "lush" a particular chorus or delay effect is, or the subtle differences between compressors, I think his style of vids might be a problem...

Could it be that most dirt pedals are simply TS variants, so tone variation is subtle?:hide2

I've found that especially all the TS-variant demos and shootouts are particularly and horribly similar. I've had more than a couple of the pedals he's demoed, and they definitely had more variance than his vids showed.

But, for me personally, I haven't found a TS-type yet that I've wanted to even keep, let alone stay on my board, so I'm even noting this lack of differentiation between pedals happening between the non-ts types and the heavier pedals he's demoed.

Sorry, GMD, you're an awesome dude, and you clearly have chops and good taste (as evidenced by the pedal you make), but I've come to a point where I don't feel like I can get much from your vids anymore. I appreciate the effort! I really do!

Top Bottom