I love my Aiken Sabre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matt Gordon, May 21, 2006.

1. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Night after night this thing just continues to amaze me. Everything I throw at it, it eats up. When I look for a fuzzed-out exploding sound, it's there. When I want clean and articulate, no problem. The Sabre takes pedals like a champ, and setting the controls differently changes its note delivery, so much so, that it's like having a lot of diffferent amps. Using the red channel with an Everman fuzzdrive, we're talking over-the-top madness, something Scott Henderson often gets into. Notes feed back at the perfect interval, blossom into harmonics, and yet I'm able to get a slick studio sound instantly on the green channel. Greenbacks or V30's, this thing is a champ. Sometimes we hunt for years for that special thing in an amp, like the epiphany some Two Rock owners must feel after finding the magic one, the mojo in the Sabre keeps inspiring. True quality, tone, and a silly low price. How does he do it? :AOK

2. mlongano

mlongano Member

How about some pictures?

3. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I've been gassing for one of these for a while, but read that the gain side doesn't cut through the mix very well.

4. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

You've captured my thoughts on the Sabre to the word. The amp literally begs me to play it...to challenge it. It is always a rewarding experience playing this amp. I soooo look forward to the weekly gigs because my tone, feel, etc...is just spot on for me. Inspiring, to be sure and a pure pleasure to play.

I'm getting those Scott Henderson-like tones that I love...liquid and sustaining for effortless legato stuff. I have a JEverman FDg2 too and it KILLS....actually, I haven't found any FX in my collection that don't sound great w/the Sabre.

Recently, I pulled out my old PEI Germ and it's almost like they were made for each other.:D Whatever I can dream up the Sabre follows me through every turn.

I recently ordered a matching 2x12" cab for my Sabre.
    [​IMG]

5. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Not true in my case. The mids are huge at halfway through the dial. I think Randall mentioned that Brent's Sabre had a different component value on the midrange...by mistake. My Sabre just sounds massive.

edit/

I wanted to add that a friend came by the club the other night and sat in. I don't mic the Sabre in this club because the place only holds 100 or so folks. I sat off to the opposite side of the stage and listened as the Sabre easily cut through the bandmix and the crowd. My friend was smoked,,,he couldn't get enough of the Sabre. Best gear purchase I've made in years.

6. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

sell it to me.. i need delicious harmonics
    thanks
    rkstarr:crazyguy

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Mine was cool too...

[​IMG]

Now I want Randall to build me one with the red channel voiced like my Intruder - leave the clean channel the same....The Sabre doesnt have the teeth the Intruder does.

Steve E

8. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

9. Matt F

Matt F Member

I know it's not a Sabre.. But I LOVE my Invader :drool. If you have not played one of Randall Aiken's amplifiers do yourself a favor and try one. But be prepared to buy it :)

Here are my playthings:

[​IMG]

Matt

10. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

+1

[​IMG]

11. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

12. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Maybe, but Brent wasn't the only one to comment about the amp not cutting with a live band.

13. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I'm sure Randall does!

14. Matt Gordon

Nice amps! Purple, green! Oh la la! I've not had issues with the amp. Strange? :confused: Mine is a keeper! :RoCkIn

15. Matt Gordon

Totally makes you smile when you walk by it! I can get 5150/SLO tones by dipping the mids to 1 or 2, turning the treble to 2 or 3, and cranking the presence to about 8 or 9. Great sound for background power chords, and general riffage. chuga chuga!! :grudge

16. fatback

fatback Member

:AOK

great amp!

...I miss mine.

17. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

True. The Sabre can do the big scoop sound amazingly well...I just prefer a more balanced flavour.:drool

18. thintele

thintele Member

I had the opprtunity to play an Invader several years back when I was working a booth next to Randalls in Nashville. I must say I was impressed at how loud and how big he made 18 watts (attenuated) sound. Of all the Aiken amps Sabres seem to get the most praise and also seem to be few and far between on Ebay and emporiums.
    ...a good indication that those lucky few that own them, want to keep 'em

19. Matt Gordon

I don't think there are a huge number of Sabres out there to be honest, so I guess you wouldn't see a lot of turnover. I've been using some EH 12AX7's in it for more bass and low mids (to my ears) and combine the red channel with an Everman Fuzz Drive G2 for monsterous wall of drive. Hope the neighbors understand! :moon

20. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I was totally undecided between the Sabre and the Intruder, the Sabre seems to have more gain on tap. I ended up ordering the Intruder from Randall, I should have it soon. I wanted to stay more with the traditional Marshall flavor and I really didn't want a channel switcher. I like controlling clean and dirty tones from the guitar's volume. I play clean with my Strat but I'm hoping the Intruder can get me into 80's rock territory, Lynch, DeMartini, EVH, etc. with my old Strathead Charvel and a TS or similar boost pedal just like my old JCM800 used to. I'm just hoping that there is enough gain on tap in the amp so I don't need to use a lot gain, if any, from the pedal.