• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I Love My Budda II: Purple Returns...

LesPaulPlayer

SD18 vs Twinmaster for small club clean platform?

I'd like an informed opinion from y'all. I'm thinking of trying a Budda 1 x 12 as a small club amp. I'm speaking of the current Peavey builds that have an effects loop.

I'm looking for some thick, mid range chime and edge of breakup clean at low volumes and the ability to drive with pedals. I want the ability to run an eq pedal in the effects loop to get a better clean sound at lower volume and dial in to the room.

I'm guessing there is some overlap in sound between the two...the SuperDrive looks more tweak able and popular but I like the simplicity of the Twinmaster.

Most importantly I want a good chimey clean sound fairly low volume with some good mids.

What do y'all think? I haven't found a way to try the new amps locally and I've played through a larger SuperDrive a long time ago.
Seems to me that the Twinmaster would be better suited for what you're looking for. Its super-simple preamp and punchy nature provides a good platform for pedals. The amp responds like it's hardwired to your brain.

However, you will not get edge-of-breakup at low volumes without a pedal or attenuator. All Buddas are loud and the TM is no exception. If you need breakup without add-ons, the Superdrive is the obvious choice with its master volume.

That said, the overdrive and lead tones of the TM are so good...it's almost a shame to put dirt boxes in front of it.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Seems to me that the Twinmaster would be better suited for what you're looking for. Its super-simple preamp and punchy nature provides a good platform for pedals. The amp responds like it's hardwired to your brain.

However, you will not get edge-of-breakup at low volumes without a pedal or attenuator. All Buddas are loud and the TM is no exception. If you need breakup without add-ons, the Superdrive is the obvious choice with its master volume.

That said, the overdrive and lead tones of the TM are so good...it's almost a shame to put dirt boxes in front of it.
I'm inclined to agree, the sd18 doesn't have a ton of clean headroom and it's against the law not to use that lead channel In most states!

Thanks guys.....I was leaning towards the Sd18.

It's not as though I'd only be using this at bedroom levels....I'm looking for something when my 2x12 Top Hat is too much (think ac30ish 30+ watts)....which will need to cover small rooms occasionally. I'm just wanting a good thick sound even low on the dial.

If I had to pick between deluxe, princeton or ac15 I'd go with the Vox. I'm guessing the Twinmaster is closer to that camp?

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
The thing is all the budda amps are seriously loud. They have good masters on them but I doubt even at "18" watts it's quieter than your tophat. My sd30 is as loud as any 100 watt amp I have owned.

CreamTele2

The thing is all the budda amps are seriously loud. They have good masters on them but I doubt even at "18" watts it's quieter than your tophat. My sd30 is as loud as any 100 watt amp I have owned.
I agree 100%; my sd30 is perceptively louder than my Bugera V55h through the same cab.

Yes but it's not about loudness....I'm looking for something that breaks up/ finds a sweet spot lower on the dial.

It's also probably less than half the weight ...looking for a 1x12 easy to gig combo

And i know what you mean. I swear my King Royale was just as loud as my old Superlead I used to own through the same cabinet.

mickelodeon

Tired out one of the new Stringmasters a few weeks back... It was delicious. It took pedals like a champ and sounded so pure. Definitely thinking about one now. I have a soft spot for 1x12 combos.

They're making new Stringmasters? I thought it was just Twin/Verb brought back. I LOVE my original Stringmaster.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
I actually prefer the tones of the SD30 & SD18 over the SD45.
I found the 45 to be a bit too bright for me.

My SD30 is currently in the hands of Jeff Bober who's installing a half power switch.
It will essentially be an SD18 & SD30 in one.
Easier to get the master up at smaller gigs and enough power to play the larger festivals.
And I'm exactly the opposite. I found the 18 and 30 to be too dark. I liked the brightness of the 45. to me the 45 is much more "vintage" and the 18 and 30 are more modern sounding.

all are great amps though.

Voodoo man volume box in loop helps with fine tuning volume adjustments on any Budda amp.

BTW, I also found that using Gold Lion KT66's in the amp made a very large difference in tone. More than I've ever heard power tubes make. I compared them to GT's and Shushangs (sp?) and much preferred them. These were the gold lion reissues.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Yes but it's not about loudness....I'm looking for something that breaks up/ finds a sweet spot lower on the dial.

It's also probably less than half the weight ...looking for a 1x12 easy to gig combo

And i know what you mean. I swear my King Royale was just as loud as my old Superlead I used to own through the same cabinet.
If you want light and portable and early breakup an sd18 would be the ticket

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I think it's time for me to FINALLY try a Budda. I have some club gigs coming up and I'm looking for light/easily transportable, great tone (clean-ish + killer overdrive). MIGHT use my FX processor in the loop or up front depending on the situation.
Is the SD18II the amp for me?
PrePeavey?
I know it's loud, but it does have a Master (that is a little jumpy?). How can I tame this for home use?
I'm worried a bit about shared EQ and volume mismatch between clean and overdrive. Are people happy using this amp as a true channel switcher?
I play rock, pop and new country.

I'll definitely post back when I get it.
I'll be real curious to hear the 30 in half power mode and compare it against my SD18.
I have yet to hear a half power switch sound good...but I'm going from the several Mesa's I've owned. The half power switch lowered the volume but it would sound compressed and thin.

Maybe Jeff will do it right. Hope it works out for you.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I think it's time for me to FINALLY try a Budda. I have some club gigs coming up and I'm looking for light/easily transportable, great tone (clean-ish + killer overdrive). MIGHT use my FX processor in the loop or up front depending on the situation.
PrePeavey?
I know it's loud, but it does have a Master (that is a little jumpy?). How can I tame this for home use?
I'm worried a bit about shared EQ and volume mismatch between clean and overdrive. Are people happy using this amp as a true channel switcher?
Both channels are killer and yes I can play a whole night of covers with it easily. A volume box in the loop works great for taming the volume and they are $20 on ebay.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I have yet to hear a half power switch sound good...but I'm going from the several Mesa's I've owned. The half power switch lowered the volume but it would sound compressed and thin.

I believe it's a Triod/Pentode switch.
I had one on my Marshall MKIII that I liked.

Jeff did say that it will make it a little smoother sounding.
UPS tracking says it's arriving tomorrow but I don't think I'll get to try it out as I have plans for tomorrow night.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
PrePeavey?
I use it as a true channel switcher and have no problems with balancing the volumes.
I'm in two cover bands that play hard & classic rock, blues, pop & country.
Covers it all.

The shared EQ has never been an issue for me either.
I set the EQ for the gain channel and it always sounds great on the clean channel.
I don't have any problems with the MV being too touch either.
I had it on my SD45 but no issues with the SD18.

I love my SD 18 combo, been playing it a lot more lately.
It went to the side for a few months when I bought a Fargen Mini Plex so I could get used to that amp.
I have to say they both sound different and great, but not $1000 different, the Budda hangs with the boutiques.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going for it... I've tried so many amps, modelers, etc lately I'm growing numb to NGD but I have always wanted to try the SD18II and the Dr Z Maz 18. I'm afraid the Maz might not be versatile enough for my usage (without pedals). I feel like I need to find a "simple" channel switcher that has good, smooth basic tone. I'm also partial to EL84's. We shall see what happens... Also buying a Tele ;)

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
PrePeavey?
The sd18 master volume is great for bedroom volumes.
The channels balance fine at normal volumes. You can use it like rhythm n lead channels, working the guitar volume knob for different sounds. The shared eq is no big deal. The bright switch on the clean channel helps.

I'm going for it... I've tried so many amps, modelers, etc lately I'm growing numb to NGD but I have always wanted to try the SD18II and the Dr Z Maz 18. I'm afraid the Maz might not be versatile enough for my usage (without pedals). I feel like I need to find a "simple" channel switcher that has good, smooth basic tone. I'm also partial to EL84's. We shall see what happens... Also buying a Tele ;)
Don't think you will regret it. It's the kind of amp (as you can see from it's fans here) that itches that spot or it doesn't.
The player will shine through with this amp...it has a great feel to it, any good player would like this amps tone without pedals for gain IMO.
Only thing I add to this amp is a bit of delay in the loop....really simple.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Don't think you will regret it. It's the kind of amp (as you can see from it's fans here) that itches that spot or it doesn't.
The player will shine through with this amp...it has a great feel to it, any good player would like this amps tone without pedals for gain IMO.
Only thing I add to this amp is a bit of delay in the loop....really simple.
Couldn't agree more, I do use a TS to boost mine for doing metal stuff but for anything from country to even Van Halen kind of stuff I could easily just use the superdrive and be smiling the whole night. If you dig el84's I can't for the life of me see how someone wouldn't like one of these amps.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
....My SD30 is currently in the hands of Jeff Bober who's installing a half power switch....
Really, maybe this is what I need to have done instead of buying an 18. Was looking forward to buying an East 18 but I love the SD30. Let me know how it works out!
What's it cost to have that done? Is there anywhere I could get a schematic to do it myself?
thanks...

Update on the half power mod on my SD30.

Got it back today and just got done playing the amp for about 30 minutes.

In full power mode it's a normal SD30 tone & volume wise.
In half power mode it has less power than an SD18.
I just did an A/B test with the 18 & 30.
The 30 in half power mode with the MV at noon is about the same volume as my 18 with the MV around 9:00.
It's almost like a 1/4 power switch.

My band usually plays smaller places and I almost never get the MV past 9:00 unmic'd. At larger clubs when I'm mic'd I don't even get it up to 9:00 so that the sound guy can get a better FOH mix.
This will allow me to get the MV up around noon at most gigs now.

TONE - Good news - in half power mode the tone is ALL BUDDA.
Jeff did it right. I had a pentode/triod switch on my Marshall MKIII and in low mode it really thinned the amp out but it sounds GREAT on the Budda.

I'm really impressed with this mod.

I've heard a lot of people say that the SD18 is too loud but this mod gives you a lower wattage SuperDrive than the SD18.
It's now like having a 12 watt & 30 watt Superdrive in one.
Really killer amp.

While Jeff had it I asked him if he wouldn't mind signing the back of the chassis for me.
He gladly obliged.

Pics:

Trending Topics