• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I Love My Budda II: Purple Returns...

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed. I never played the Sig X. I have played several amps that have great dynamics. IMHO it is the feel of the Budda that sets the amp apart from many others. It is addicting to play through the amp. I would like to try the SD30 and believe it or not I am extremely tempted by the simplicity of the Baby Budda 18.

To me the dynamics and changes to pick attack and guitar volume are one of the big things that seperates the Budda from so many amps. Other than my Sig X I have yet to play any other amp that is more dynamice than my Superdrive 30 series II. As soon as I find that amp I will probably own one to go with these two.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed. I never played the Sig X. I have played several amps that have great dynamics. IMHO it is the feel of the Budda that sets the amp apart from many others. It is addicting to play through the amp. I would like to try the SD30 and believe it or not I am extremely tempted by the simplicity of the Baby Budda 18.

That sag that it has is a nice feel for sure, the baby Budda looks really cool I would like to try one out. As far as I know it's the twinmaster circuit in a lunchbox head which would be cool. As far as the dynamics I have played a lot of dynamic amps but most don't have the touch sensitivity of the Budda and Fryette stuff that have anywhere close to that much gain in my experience.

There's no need to run the mids way up. The amp is quite dark but there's nothing wrong with the mids.
i'm not saying they are bad. this is just the only amp ive owned where i find myself having to keep the mids low. Most of the time I crank the mids.

This is also the only amp where I was able to find the perfect tone plugged straight in with both my strat and explorer. For me, that is amazing. lol

jamme61

Silver Supporting Member
New sd18 owner once I started using my guitar volume to get my tone I fell in love with this amp
Had to add the bright mod too but great amp IMHO :dude

Anyone know what a weber blue dog might sound like in this amp? I've got a 30 watt alnico blue dog that i was going to throw in a 1x12 cab but I've had to put that off. I was thinking of throwing the blue dog in my sd18 combo.

Thoughts? Anyone know if that would perhaps brighten up the amp and reduce the amount of low end?

rust_in_peace

As far as the dynamics I have played a lot of dynamic amps but most don't have the touch sensitivity of the Budda and Fryette stuff that have anywhere close to that much gain in my experience.
How does the Budda compare to a good single-channel, NMV style amp in terms of dynamics?

I ask because I'm very interested in getting a Budda. Right now I play a Vox and get all my tones, from clean to dirty with just my volume knob.

jamme61

Silver Supporting Member
How does the Budda compare to a good single-channel, NMV style amp in terms of dynamics?

I ask because I'm very interested in getting a Budda. Right now I play a Vox and get all my tones, from clean to dirty with just my volume knob.
The Buddha clean channel reminds me of a vox a lot. I work the guitar volume and could do a whole gig on this channel. The added crunch channel on the budda is just an added bonus imho. The crunch channel is more marshall - very saturated with a ton of sustain.

There is a bright mod which I got from Jeff bober - there's a 222 cap off v2 - change that to a 102 it brightens both channels.

LesPaulPlayer

I find that the Buddas are a bit different than other amps in terms of dynamics. The models I've played include the Verbmaster 18 1x12 combo, Twinmaster 1x12 combo, Twinmaster head into a Budda 1x12 cabinet, and Superdrive 30 1x12 combo. The SD30 is the only one in the list with a master volume.

Buddas have more natural compression and a singing quality as if it's turned up higher than it actually is. It's as if the power section is affecting the attack/compression envelope even at low volume. The result is a cleaner sustain with fewer overtones from overdrive than many amps at lower volumes. And it feels great! To get a similar sustain, without external effects, from other amps, more gain/volume is required...which adds more dirt to the tone in the process. This extra gain can also chop of the picking dynamics and attack depending on the design/circuit. The Buddas tend to keep the pick attack and dynamic punch even when set to higher gain levels or cranked outright. They sound punchy still at higher gain/volume, especially the Twinmaster.

I'd say the Twinmaster is the most honest of the Budda circuits. It tells no lie and is very transparent to the players technique and playing dynamics. According to Scot Sier, the SD30 is not as dynamic as the Twinmaster nor the Verbmaster but was still really dynamic and responsive when I played one in the past.

In summary, the Buddas I've played have more singing compression at any volume, but with the punchy attack of more powerful amps than other amps of similar wattage. Punch and sustaining compression all at the same time. That's the best way for me to describe what I experience.

I play my Buddas with a Les Paul mostly and use pickup selection, volume/tone controls and playing dynamics solely. No pedals except occasional wah.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member

There is a bright mod which I got from Jeff bober - there's a 222 cap off v2 - change that to a 102 it brightens both channels.
How much brighter did the amp get?
Did it affect the tone in any other way>

I wonder if it would be possible to have this mod connected to a pot that would act like an adjustable bright knob (presence)?
Or at least a mini toggle to switch between the two different caps?

csweet08

It occurred to me while playing my SD18 tonight that I'm spoiled for life. Nothing else I've played can touch the dirt channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamme61

Silver Supporting Member
How much brighter did the amp get?
Did it affect the tone in any other way>

I wonder if it would be possible to have this mod connected to a pot that would act like an adjustable bright knob (presence)?
Or at least a mini toggle to switch between the two different caps?
If you're comfortable with the high voltage in there- it will kill you
That cap can be a dramatic change to the amp. You can easily see how dramatic by snipping off one of the ends of the cap- again high voltage in there be careful
I would think a pot could work or a toggle with different Values. Hope this helps great amp lots of fun to play.

Last edited:

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Apparently Budda is making smaller head cabs by special order.
Someone has an SD30 for sale on craigslist and claims that it was special ordered from Budda with a compact head cab.

neastguy

is an sd45 going to be too much power for small clubs.. or will I will be able to get the goods without making everyones ears bleed?

bluesymetal

SD 30 series 1 owner here. For those who have volume balance mod, can you describe how it changes the tone of the amp? One of my favorite settings is with the clean channels volume up around 3oclock, sweet crunch there, and it just sounds awesome with a fuzz or OD. Of course it's much louder then the drive channel at that point. I would like to balance them out, but I don't want to sacrifice the tone of the drive channel either, it's the best part of the amp.

Also I must be in a really loud band lol, with my drummer my volume is up around 12-12:30. I have mine set up a little brighter, I try to get hot rod plexi tones. Right now I'm floating around bass noon, mids 3, treble 2, gain 10:30. I also find the louder I run the amp the brighter it gets and vice versa, while playing at low volumes I turn the treble up, louder I can turn it down and maybe the mids down a little too.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
SD 30 series 1 owner here. For those who have volume balance mod, can you describe how it changes the tone of the amp? One of my favorite settings is with the clean channels volume up around 3oclock, sweet crunch there, and it just sounds awesome with a fuzz or OD. Of course it's much louder then the drive channel at that point. I would like to balance them out, but I don't want to sacrifice the tone of the drive channel either, it's the best part of the amp.

Also I must be in a really loud band lol, with my drummer my volume is up around 12-12:30. I have mine set up a little brighter, I try to get hot rod plexi tones. Right now I'm floating around bass noon, mids 3, treble 2, gain 10:30. I also find the louder I run the amp the brighter it gets and vice versa, while playing at low volumes I turn the treble up, louder I can turn it down and maybe the mids down a little too.
I currently have two SD18s, one with one without volume balance mod.
No difference in tone that I can hears.

I used to have two SD30s (currently only have one) and same situation, one with one without.
No difference in tone.

These are the static volume mod with no adjustment.

Jeff Bober offers a mod that adds another MV just for the gain channel.
With this mod each channel will have it's own MV.

bluesymetal

I currently have two SD18s, one with one without volume balance mod.
No difference in tone that I can hears.

I used to have two SD30s (currently only have one) and same situation, one with one without.
No difference in tone.

These are the static volume mod with no adjustment.

Jeff Bober offers a mod that adds another MV just for the gain channel.
With this mod each channel will have it's own MV.
Yeah that's the mod I was interested in, the separate master. I read in one of these threads I think that someone thought it effected the drive channels tone. How loud can you push the clean channel now with the static mod?

Trending Topics