• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I Love My Budda II: Purple Returns...

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Got it today! Love it so far.

Mine is a Series II with the triangular logo. I'm not sure but I think it's post Peavey. Are all Series II by Peavey? Some have the oval logo and I'm not sure where that puts them.
The oval logo is a Peavey model.
The triangular logo is a Pre-Peavey.
Yes, there are Pre-Peavey series II models.

Thanks you. From what I understand, the Peavey models are every bit as good as the pre-Peavey models.

What are the differences between Series I and Series II? The balance of volume with the two channels?

Right now, I'm looking at closed back 2x12 cabs and what speaker combos will work well for me. Trying to keep the costs down a little.

Terry Hayes

What are the differences between Series I and Series II? The balance of volume with the two channels?

Right now, I'm looking at closed back 2x12 cabs and what speaker combos will work well for me. Trying to keep the costs down a little.
The Series I Buddas were handwired on turret boards, not fully pcb. They also featured a cabinet switching function. The Series I did not have the pull-modern function on the mids knob either.

I think those were the only differences between Series I and II.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks you. From what I understand, the Peavey models are every bit as good as the pre-Peavey models.

I've never played a Peavey model but I hear the same thing.
Supposed to be just as good as a Pre-Peavey.

The Series I Buddas were handwired on turret boards, not fully pcb. They also featured a cabinet switching function. The Series I did not have the pull-modern function on the mids knob either.

The pull-modern mid knob is a must-have for me.
With it pushed in the amp is too heavy on the lower mids for my taste.
Pulling it out puts the amp into Marshall tone territory.

Terry Hayes

The pull-modern mid knob is a must-have for me.
With it pushed in the amp is too heavy on the lower mids for my taste.
Pulling it out puts the amp into Marshall tone territory.
I must say that, between the pull-modern function and the pull-bright on the rhythm channel volume knob, the Superdrives allow for some pretty serious tone shaping.

LHakim

Time to give this thread a long overdue bump.
I picked up a pre-peavey Superdrive 18 ii just after Christmas. I really didn't need another amp and its my first amp purchase in about 7 years. However I had been reading about the Buddas for a long time and when this SD18 came up locally for a great price I couldn't resist.

I live on the drive channel exclusively and this is not hyperbole: I'm amazed at how fat, expressive and responsive this amp is even with the gain up and overall volume down. I'm also amazed at its quality of tone. This thing is just flat-out fun to play. As someone else mentioned the SD18 may be one of the best amps for lead guitar.

Terry Hayes

Time to give this thread a long overdue bump.
I picked up a pre-peavey Superdrive 18 ii just after Christmas. I really didn't need another amp and its my first amp purchase in about 7 years. However I had been reading about the Buddas for a long time and when this SD18 came up locally for a great price I couldn't resist.

I live on the drive channel exclusively and this is not hyperbole: I'm amazed at how fat, expressive and responsive this amp is even with the gain up and overall volume down. I'm also amazed at its quality of tone. This thing is just flat-out fun to play. As someone else mentioned the SD18 may be one of the best amps for lead guitar.
Another thing you should try is cranking up the clean channel really loud and using your guitar volume. It is really unbelievable. As you hold a note, you can roll the guitar volume up little by little to get long sustain without compression that breaks into nice feedback.

I have to admit that I don't do this when gigging very often. It is a technique that requires a bit more practice on my part but the results are incredible. While I have tried this with other amps I own (or have owned) the Budda takes it to another level in this regard.

Jason_86_951

Silver Supporting Member
Finally got another Budda in the house. Bought a chassis from a TGPer a while back and have almost completed building a smallbox head for it. Built from scraps laying around the shop, poplar shell and flame maple valance. It's fully assembled, just need to decide how to color/cover/finish it.

Was going to do black shell and a black burst valance, but am kind of digging it natural. We'll see, too cold in the shop for finish to cure right so I have until spring to figure it out.

Ported it for the fan and the back is mostly open, no heat issues.

lgehrig4

Finally got another Budda in the house. Bought a chassis from a TGPer a while back and have almost completed building a smallbox head for it. Built from scraps laying around the shop, poplar shell and flame maple valance. It's fully assembled, just need to decide how to color/cover/finish it. Was going to do black shell and a black burst valance, but am kind of digging it natural. We'll see, too cold in the shop for finish to cure right so I have until spring to figure it out. Ported it for the fan and the back is mostly open, no heat issues.
That would be me. Absolute beast of an amp. I kept the cab for my SD45 and I love it.

Nice cab Jason! If anyone needs a 2x12 Budda cab loaded or loaded send me a pm.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Finally got another Budda in the house. Bought a chassis from a TGPer a while back and have almost completed building a smallbox head for it. Built from scraps laying around the shop, poplar shell and flame maple valance. It's fully assembled, just need to decide how to color/cover/finish it.

Was going to do black shell and a black burst valance, but am kind of digging it natural. We'll see, too cold in the shop for finish to cure right so I have until spring to figure it out.

Ported it for the fan and the back is mostly open, no heat issues.

THAT IS AWESOME! :dude

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
BTW, Jeff Bober still services Budda amps.
I just got one my my SD18s back from him.

He replaced tube sockets and installed a cooling fan.
You only need to send him the chassis so shipping is pretty cheap.

http://jeffbober.com/

Jpower79

Not entirely true.

I have a SD30 series one (in fact serial number 0001 even) and it has the mid pull switch. I've also owned a Series 1 that did not have it OR the cab switching ability. Was very weird when I had both...naturally you can guess which I kept.

lgehrig4

Not entirely true. I have a SD30 series one (in fact serial number 0001 even) and it has the mid pull switch. I've also owned a Series 1 that did not have it OR the cab switching ability. Was very weird when I had both...naturally you can guess which I kept.
Is it possible that it was sent back to Jeff to have the mid boost added or was a one off? I had/have 2 SD30 series 1 and neither had the mid boost.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Is it possible that it was sent back to Jeff to have the mid boost added or was a one off? I had/have 2 SD30 series 1 and neither had the mid boost.
I would agree it had to be a mod or a one off, not the standard build.

LesPaulPlayer

Even the front panels between Series 1 and 2 are different. I'll bet the Series 1 version with the pull mid boost didn't indicate that feature on the front panel…unless the panel was changed out. But the handwired panels are aluminum instead of painted so why do that? The aluminum looks more premium.

pvampmgr

Michael Smith from Peavey here. This is not entirely true. There's definitely a dynamic story with all of this.

Trending Topics