• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I Love My Budda II: Purple Returns...

RoguePlayer

Good question. He didn't specify. I didn't realize he was in Canada. Then again, he probably doesn't know I'm in the States.

Dead Thread Walking...
...Sorry for reviving a comatose thread but I just bought my first Budda. It is a Superdrive 18 which I got new for a stupid low price. I threw out a deceased 12AX7 and it now rocks... even in my living room.
So sad there is no more love for the Purple.

JK47

This is a good time to see this thread! I'm thinking of picking up a Twinmaster or an original SD30.

Reactions: 696

LesPaulPlayer

This is a good time to see this thread! I'm thinking of picking up a Twinmaster or an original SD30.
I have 1x12" combo versions of both the TM and SD30. I also have a Verbmaster, also in 1x12" combo form.

They are all early hand wired versions; the newest of these amps is the SD30 and it's 16 years old now.

I love these amplifiers. They are so musical and fun to play. I'd say the only negative thing about them is that the non-master volume Twinmaster and Verbmaster require an attenuator (I use a Weber MASS) in virtually all of my playing situations. But it's a small inconvenience. They still sound great with the Weber MASS and the Twinmaster, in particular, is really light and compact.

These amps' tubes can degrade such that the tone and feel gradually diminishes to a point where you might think "it's not doing it for me anymore" and "maybe I'll sell it..."

DON'T DO IT!!!

Retube it with proper Sovtek tubes and just hear and feel the magic return!

Never sell your Budda amplifier without knowing how it plays with known fresh tubes.

And don't underestimate the rectifier tube. My SD30 gradually became thin and harsh on the drive channel when my big bottle Sovtek 5U4G gradually wore out. In went a new EH 5U4GB and now it sounds big, thick and girthy with lots of punch, even with its aging EL84s.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I have 1x12" combo versions of both the TM and SD30. I also have a Verbmaster, also in 1x12" combo form.

They are all early hand wired versions; the newest of these amps is the SD30 and it's 16 years old now.

I love these amplifiers. They are so musical and fun to play. I'd say the only negative thing about them is that the non-master volume Twinmaster and Verbmaster require an attenuator (I use a Weber MASS) in virtually all of my playing situations. But it's a small inconvenience. They still sound great with the Weber MASS and the Twinmaster, in particular, is really light and compact.

These amps' tubes can degrade such that the tone and feel gradually diminishes to a point where you might think "it's not doing it for me anymore" and "maybe I'll sell it..."

DON'T DO IT!!!

Retube it with proper Sovtek tubes and just hear and feel the magic return!

Never sell your Budda amplifier without knowing how it plays with known fresh tubes.

And don't underestimate the rectifier tube. My SD30 gradually became thin and harsh on the drive channel when my big bottle Sovtek 5U4G gradually wore out. In went a new EH 5U4GB and now it sounds big, thick and girthy with lots of punch, even with its aging EL84s.
And an added bonus, no rebiasing needed when putting in new tubes!

kramerxxx

I have a SD30 Series I.

I recently bought a YellowJacket SS rectifier for it, for $20, off of Amazon, and Really prefer it to the Tube rectifier. It brightened the Drive tone up, as well as gave it a more immediately attack, and better note separation.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I have a SD30 Series I.

I recently bought a YellowJacket SS rectifier for it, for $20, off of Amazon, and Really prefer it to the Tube rectifier. It brightened the Drive tone up, as well as gave it a more immediately attack, and better note separation.
I've thought about trying one but was afraid of damaging the amp.
Do you have a link to the one you bought?

garret

I’m afraid of the same thing. The power tubes are said to run on the hot side to begin with. Worried about the higher voltage.

kramerxxx

This is the one I bought. I believe it was fulfilled by Amplified Parts - which also sells these from their website.

I know you have a couple of Budda amps. I was originally going to do the Bright switch on my Drive Channel, but this changed my amp, in a good way, so that I have not considered any other mod. Oh, I recently went from JJ EL84s to Sovtek, and I believe the amp sounds a little more raw, and not as smooth. Good tubes, IMHO.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
This is the one I bought. I believe it was fulfilled by Amplified Parts - which also sells these from their website.

I know you have a couple of Budda amps. I was originally going to do the Bright switch on my Drive Channel, but this changed my amp, in a good way, so that I have not considered any other mod. Oh, I recently went from JJ EL84s to Sovtek, and I believe the amp sounds a little more raw, and not as smooth. Good tubes, IMHO.
If you don't mind, could you post back after you've run it a while? I'm still hesitant to try one.
I just emailed Jeff Bober to hear his thoughts on this.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
If you don't mind, could you post back after you've run it a while? I'm still hesitant to try one.
I just emailed Jeff Bober to hear his thoughts on this.
I sent this question to Jeff: Will putting a Solid State rectifier in my Pre-Peavey SD30 cause any harm?

Here is his reply
"I recommend against using anything that has a higher voltage output than a 5U4, as the voltages are already as high as I'd like to see them for reliability reasons."

I'm not an amp tech so I have no idea if the SS rectifier has a higher output voltage than a 5U4 tube.

Kramerxxx, can you report back after using yours for a while?

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Just thought I'd share: I came across a good deal on a Celestion Classic Lead 80 recently and decided to try it in my Twinmaster - just for the heck of it. So far I can say that the CL80 is a tasty upgrade in the Twinmaster (at least compared to the original Phat speaker)... ymmv and all that, but I'm digging the sound.

:aok

Trending Topics