• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I Love My Budda II: Purple Returns...

Buckeyedog

Silver Supporting Member
Had an 80 for a few years and sold it. These budda threads made me pick up a 30 here a few months ago. Just love the tone so much. Such a great deal on the used market as well.

55goldtop

Enjoying mine through an old Marshall 8x10. This is the 14th Budda ever built! Sorry for the bad photo. My next amp is one of the crazy inexpensive SuperDrives. What a bargain. Traded a Marshall combo for mine and am happy I did so.

Last edited:

LesPaulPlayer

I have an old Twinmaster 1x12 from 1996 and a Verbmaster 1x12 from 2000. I purchased the VM directly from Budda over the phone. I've had it for over 14 years now. The TM I picked up used last year. They are both killer and different enough from each other to not be redundant.

Anyway, sometimes I get tired of the Budda tone and feel for a while so I'll play my homemade GDS 18 watt instead. I might play it for months while the Buddas sit. I've even thought of selling a Budda during these periods! Eventually I get used to the GDS, even tired of it, and plug into one of the Buddas just to see. And, boy, am I glad I hadn't sold one or both of the Buddas when I do! My Buddas do things no other amps seem to do, and it almost has more to do with the feel more than the frequencies produced...although the frequencies are obviously there too.

So cool!

Joe F

Gold Supporting Member
Budda amps are, and have been for quite some time, great values for the money (used), which sure I'd rather my collection be worth double what I paid but I like that one of my favorite amps is so accessible for those willing to try one out.

The feel of these amps is not something many amps offer. Much more intentional/easy to control feel (compression, sag, etc.)

To think I posted my Dual Stage for sale on TGP once...man, I am glad no one was interested! It's mostly Superdrive 30 for me but occasional time with the Dual Stage, Stringmaster, SD80 etc. is always great. I include the V40 in that too though I believe it is slightly different than Jeff had originally intended.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Budda amps are, and have been for quite some time, great values for the money (used), which sure I'd rather my collection be worth double what I paid but I like that one of my favorite amps is so accessible for those willing to try one out.

The feel of these amps is not something many amps offer. Much more intentional/easy to control feel (compression, sag, etc.)

To think I posted my Dual Stage for sale on TGP once...man, I am glad no one was interested! It's mostly Superdrive 30 for me but occasional time with the Dual Stage, Stringmaster, SD80 etc. is always great. I include the V40 in that too though I believe it is slightly different than Jeff had originally intended.
I think one of the things that really helps with the low resale is that they are an amp that someone that hasn't been playing for a long time most likely won't appreciate. I remember playing one about ten years ago and thought it was dull and hard to play. Flash forward to playing twenty plus years and things like touch sensitivity and dynamics are ALL I care about in tone anymore. The Budda's give me what I put into them (some days that's not great) and always leave me smiling.

LesPaulPlayer

Buddas make a good player better. But they also make bad playing sound worse. There's little to hide behind like any good amp. This is especially true with the Twinmaster.

I own a sd30 2x12 and its the best amp I have ever owned. I had marshalls, fenders, orange, carvin, vox and more. By far is just a pleasure to play. I swaped v1 with an old RCA 12ax7 and is even fatter... love it and this one is a keeper. Best clean channel ever as well. It takes pedals like no other amp it shows so much detail on the overdrive / distortion pedals. I use a gibson sg and is heaven...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Classic09

What are the Budda 4x12 cabs like? Are they any good and are there any differences between older and newer builds?

metal_murf

Removing the reverb driver tube will make the amp somewhat punchier and less compressed, but you will obviously disable the reverb effect. It is safe to operate it this way according to Jeff Bober when I asked the same question.

The above pertains to original Verbmasters, not current production.

That said, an original Verbmaster sounds uniquely different when compared to an original Twinmaster (I have not played current production versions). They are similar, but the Twinmaster is more immediate, responsive, and seems to have more gain. The Verbmaster is a bit softer and more compressed (kind of like a Tweed Fender) but still screams aggressive bloody murder when cranked up in the High Gain input. The VM is not worse than the TM. Just a different flavor of Budda tone. I have both and they're both awesome.

Thanks for the info. I don't use the reverb but since I wrote my original post I've had some time with the amp and even if it was safe to do (mine is a new production model) i wouldn't. I am loving the tones I've been getting. High gain input volume at 10:00 and a Mini Mass to prevent my ears from bleeding is pure bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joe F

Gold Supporting Member
What are the Budda 4x12 cabs like? Are they any good and are there any differences between older and newer builds?
I dont know if peavey changed anything but :

Solid pine

Fixed horizontal divider between the top and bottom pairs of speakers

Screw-back

Mid cut in a band setting, tight, punchy, good guitar range low end, not flabby.

Little more narrow than typical marshall cab but deeper if i recall correctly.

They did variations like 2x10/2x12 or 2x10/1x15 as well - those were channel assignable or just switchable with Lead Link.

I dont know if peavey changed anything but :

Solid pine

Fixed horizontal divider between the top and bottom pairs of speakers

Screw-back

Mid cut in a band setting, tight, punchy, good guitar range low end, not flabby.

Little more narrow than typical marshall cab but deeper if i recall correctly.

They did variations like 2x10/2x12 or 2x10/1x15 as well - those were channel assignable or just switchable with Lead Link.
I can't speak to the 4x12, but I have the 2x12 and the specs and description above sound pretty similar.

With the stock Phat speakers, it can be a little brutal on the ears on its own depending on how you dial it, but it does work great in a band setting.

metal_murf

I know the Verbmaster doesn't get a lot of love around here but I'm loving mine. It's my only non MV amp and I can't get enough of it lately. I recently swapped out the Phat 12 with a WGS ET-65, mostly because it's less sensitive but also to tame the highs I wasn't liking from the stock speaker. The ET-65 is a great match for me. Can't stop playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic09

Anyone using a boost pedal through the loop of a budda without any issues? I had a used SD30 series2,that I had to send back as it couldn't last a 45 minute set without blowing a fuse. I'd like to try a new SD45 but worried it may have been using a boost in the loop that caused the problem.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone using a boost pedal through the loop of a budda without any issues? I had a used SD30 series2,that I had to send back as it couldn't last a 45 minute set without blowing a fuse. I'd like to try a new SD45 but worried it may have been using a boost in the loop that caused the problem.
That wouldn't have any negative effect at all, I use a boost pedal all the time without any issues period.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I use a Boss 7-band EQ pedal thru the loop that I use for a clean boost.
I leave all the EQ sliders flat and just set the level slider for the desired amount of volume boost.

Been doing this for about a year without any issues.

Trending Topics