I love my DMM...but the headroom...arg.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phil esposito, Feb 16, 2012.

1. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

It's got the sound;unless I use a fuzz or stack a couple OD's. It clips and gets fizzy, buzzy and gross...yeah I said gross.

Am I using the wrong tool here? Maybe I need to go digital? Perhaps a Brigidier is my answer? :huh:huh

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I had a guy (Sonic VI on the D*A*M forum - not sure if he's on here) mod mine to lower the gain (he put an internal trim pot on it but I never have to adjust it). I have no issues with fuzzes going into it.

3. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Supporting Member

The DMM was designed using low output single coils...for buckers/higher output pickups you'd have to have Howard Davis do a hot pickups mod on it if you're having trouble. Man I miss my DMM.

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

"I love my DMM..." but that nasty white noise! Agh!

5. Fendert

Fendert Member

I feel like all these things add to the charm of the DMM. I sold my 90's RI for the DMMTT and I LOVE the DMMTT but it doesn't have nearly the mojo my old one did

6. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Had one in for repair and mods a couple weeks back and it had plenty of headroom, even using my Nailbombs to test it out. Admittedly I didn't play it until after the mods though. It's easy to get rid of the hiss too.

7. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

I've done the TB, and put in a TL072...but I think it needs a little more.

8. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

If you increase the low pass filtering of the repeats a bit you can get rid of the hiss/distortion, but it makes the repeats darker, which is not the classic DMM sound. I've got a tone control mod that I really like that lets you go from the classic bright hissy DMM sound to darker/hissless Boss/Ibanez style repeats.

9. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

It's a noisy, hissy, clipping, huge box. It does what it does, and sounds pretty cool. Nothing else sounds exactly like it, that's for sure. The clipping is part of it's allure/sound, but can be annoying on cleaner passages. Of course, you could always go digital for that.

10. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

I'm going to do the impedance mod to see if that helps.

I'm into a FFF (Fuzz Face Faze) now and I'm looking for something that can handle the output of my fuzz and giving me a nice lead and/or texture tone. I'm clipping the DMM hard and I've put my Aqua Puss (slap back) before it and that helped but I'm not sure where to go for longer delays. I love analog but may be forced to digital.

Maybe I need a new thread on this topic.

11. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The impedance mod won't help the headroom, here's more info on the DMM that explains why it has the noise and low headroom and dull sound on the dry signal and what can be done about that:

http://www.analogman.com/faq.htm#memoryman

12. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

With my 2006 big box DMM I never had a problem with headroom, even with my drives before it (without crazy dB boosts), except once that I used it in a hot effects loop. On the other hand, I usually play with vintage style pickups. I don't think though that I would have a problem if I used something a bit hotter, like for example Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells instead of my Mules (slightly hotter PAFs, in my case without covers). I wouldn't use megahot pickups in any case - maybe for metal, but in that case I wouldn't be using a DMM either.

13. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Does it mater if the chips are matched with each other, and calibrated? Will it help with the white noise?

14. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

Have you hit it with a germ fuzz?

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Matching does not help. You can minimize with calibration but there is always white noise on an analog delay, depending on the design (see FAQ above about tradeoffs noise vs fidelity).

16. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Yes, and I don't recall noticing anything unusual... with my old (sold) Fulltone 69, my Soulbender, my Fuzz Factory and my Wattson Classic Fuzz. Were you expecting some kind of impedance mismatch problem?

17. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

Hmm...well when I run it after my JB fuzzface ,and engage my DMM it cuts the tone down and makes it bright and fizzy.

18. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I have every delay you can think of, but the Memoryman is just so unique. You cannot capture that sound with any other delay. The closest for me has been the ML2, but the modulation is much different. It does have the presence though, Anyway, a true classic, don't give up on her.

19. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

@Phil: I don't know what could be the problem... I've experienced some weird impedance mismatch problems with other pedals (my Bad Cat Two Tone does this) but I don't remember having a similar problem with yours. It might have gone unnoticed. I still have all of them except the 69, so I can try if you like. I've never owned that Bonamassa Fuzz Face, but you can try giving the DMM an impedance that it likes by putting something else after the Fuzz Face, like for example a ZVex SHO. Some expert might see this (for example Analogman) and you'll get a better answer...

20. phil esposito

phil esposito Member

I've heard this about the DMM...maybe it's just not suited to deal with a germ fuzz.