I love my FD2, but I need more gain lately. What pedal is the "next up" from the FD2?

Tbone135

Either to switch over to for the harder stuff or in conjunction with the FD2. I know this is a popular topic, but I dig the Fulltone sound overall.

jmckeown88

HBE Powerscreamer.

This thing rocks, tons of gain on tap (switchable diodes give you TONS of flexibility), I love mine, right above the FD2 on my board! The FD-2 does low gain well, but the Powerscreamer has just great lead tone....

You can hear me use it with my band's recordings... all the amps I recorded with were clean, the PS provided all the gain on that project, excuse the sloppy playing...

myspace.com/station313

Tbone135

That does sound good. Do you run yours in front of the FD2 and combine it? If so, how's the noise factor?

bluesmain

My clean platform amp is a marshall bluesbreaker and she's very quiet, I use both the fulldrive ll in two steps then the BB Preamp to lift up the gain into the edge of feedback zone. Slight noise increase but, doable with ease. I'm a middle gain player so, nothing way over the top for me.
:dude

That does sound good. Do you run yours in front of the FD2 and combine it? If so, how's the noise factor?

sega

Either to switch over to for the harder stuff or in conjunction with the FD2. I know this is a popular topic, but I dig the Fulltone sound overall.
I'm in the same bandwagon than you.
My Fulldrive 2 mosfet is great but not for that Eddie's lick or Randy.
So I was thinking about selling it and getting a new pedal that would do
the same as the Fulldrive but with more gain.

So i'm checking all around and i'm still confused.I just noticed some Fusch pedal that just enter the market....

If anyone as some suggestions, but I don't want to have some pedal in conjunction, just a new one that has the versatility that I need????????????????????????????????

Tbone135

I saw an interesting online demo of the Box of Rock today; it seems like a little monster. I would love to try out one of those and an OCD. The online demos I've seen of the OCDs aren't too impressive, but I know how demos can be misleading.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Actually, the FDII is a relative of the Tubescreamer. If you want the most flexible and potentially high gain version of the Tubescreamer, the Foxrox Zim is your answer. Load in two H9 cards (which are tweaked Tubescreamers with a little more gain), then set up the EQ on the second channel to emphasize low mids a bit more (what you lose with a TS). Now you've got 3 sounds: TS, TS with bass emphasis, and both cascaded. Definitely takes your TS sounds to a whole nother level!

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
The Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive will definitely fill that role. Great, versatile pedal.

improv4

I run the SHO into the FD-2 and that gives a slightly hotter signal and sometimes stack the OCD with the two as well. Of course the OCD is a much different sound than the FD-2. I think the OCD has a bit of a marshall sound to it. Both pedals also retain a certain amount of the guitars own sound which seems to be part of the Fulltone sound.

The OCD is a next step up as far as gain goes. Good luck on your search.

PremiumPlus

Yea, the OCD / BOR combo is nice. Right now I'm running the BOR first. It's nice to goose the OCD with the booster of the BOR.

Tbone135

I'm leaning towards either a BOR or an OCD. The BOR might get the nod due to its having an independent boost button.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
BOR is nice, but kinda picky with amps when I was fooling around with one.

Trending Topics