I Love My Germino Clalssic 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hand of Doom, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Bought it new in 05. Struggled with it for a while. Was not used to an amp you have to PLAY. Swapped speakers/tubes a few times. Settled on Scumback mix of H75-LHDC/H75, long plate Mullard ECC83 in V1 RFT ECC83 in V2 and Tesla ( not JJ) ECC83 in V3. Power tubes are a mix of a GEC Kt66 and RCA black plate 6L6GC

The Scumdacks have broken in nicely but something has happened in the last few months. I have never been so taken aback by tone until now, and I have had some killer amps.

I have always searched for THE tone, ever since 1982. I can't express the way I feel about this enough. I f you know me, you know how anal I am about this and how hard I have looked. I have other nice amps, but this one and the combo of parts are what I have been hunting for all these years.

The tone was almost there, the FEEL is there now and that makes for a confidant player, right?

2. stump

stump Member

There's nothing better than finally getting THE tone. Play the hell out of it and enjoy the inspiration that it can give you. Germino amps and Scumback speakers are the ultimate when it comes to great tone. Rock on!!!

3. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Thanks for the reply man, I thought it was silly to post this but you know what I am talking about.

:aok

4. stump

stump Member

Not a silly post at all. When all pieces of the puzzle come together, guitar, pedals, amp and speakers, it breeds inspiration which gives way to creativity and better playing. In my case the amp is a Metro JMP 1987 50 watt clone that I built and an Avatar Vintage closed back 212 loaded with Scumback M75 LHDC 100 watt speakers. I don't use pedals often and the tone takes my playing to another level. The feel is like it's an extension of my soul. I am able to say what I am feeling with this rig. I definitely understand what you're saying.

5. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I get it too. My Germino Club 40 is my personal favorite of all the amps I've owned. I bit the bullet and purchased vintage Mullard EL34 XF2 power tubes and vintage Mullard 12AX7's and this made a wonderful improvement. The amp sounded great before, but now it is even more open, warm and breaks up slightly sooner.

I have two Scumback speakers on the way. I decided on a mixture. One is a M75-65 watt and the other is a H75-65 watt. I can't wait for these to arrive. These will go in a closed back Fender Supersonic 2 X 12 cab. Should sound glorious.

6. Roe

Roe Member

try the mullard in v2 and rft in v1

7. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member

Man, I can't tell you guys how many amps and how much money I've spent in my search. I went from cheap, small, ten watt combos, to big Fenders, to big Marshall and Mesa channel switchers, to "D" style channel switchers. Whenever I'd see non-MV Marshall styles in a shop (including Germinos), I'd think... Nah, just another Marshall.

I recently had occasion to buy a "backup" amp. I bought a Classic 45 locally. WHAT A SMACK IN THE FACE! I was like damn, how did I miss this? I have since picked up a Club 40 and love them both. A Germino amp and a couple of pedals are now my #1 gig rig.

Not only are the amps stellar, Greg is off the hook with information and customer service. An email from Greg is a education in Marshall history from 66 through the mid 70s.

Thanks for the wonderful amps Greg!

8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Loved the C45 I played, what a fantastic amp.
    Hope to plug into a Monterey sometime.

Greg Def, knows his S***

9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I really like the C45. I had a very difficult time choosing between the Germino models. I knew I wanted a small box as I just have a preference for the smaller iron. But, I couldn't decide which of the 3. I kept listening to clips, and liked them all. Then I started listening to Emerson Swinford's clips of the Club 40 and realized the C40 could pretty much do anything the other two could (maybe not exact, but close) and then I heard his "Tribute" song and that was it. That's the sound in my head. Thus, I went with the C40.

Funny thing is once I got the amp (Sep '09) I could never totally replicate that spongy, loose slightly gain clean thing he has going on in that song. I didn't fret about it cause I could get close; mine was just a little tighter feeling/sounding. I chalked it up to newer speakers and player differences. Well, here recently I found a YouTube clip of Emerson demonstrating how he got that sound. The secret ingredient was a Y cable going into both channels. Anyhow, I immediately borrowed one and tried it.

Well, long story short is I ordered my own Y cable and now that secretive, let me wait two years to share, scoundrel Emerson Swinford no longer has a monopoly on that tone.

:)

10. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I love my Classic 45. For jtm45-style amps, it cannot be out-classed. Mine's an '04-'05 model. It won't be my only Marshall-style amp but I will never sell it. I plan to own several more Germinos as well. The lead55lv is next on my radar.

I understand your sentiment completely! :aok

11. FlamingTop

FlamingTop Member

JT what pedals aree you using?

12. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

The OCD sounds good with the C40. I also have a C40. :D

A good fuzz sounds good too. But you can't deny the fact that these amps have that natural overdrive that no pedal can duplicate.

Oh and my C45 SMOKES my C40!

13. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Pedals? Let me catch you nerds running pedals into your Germinos and I'll personally confiscate your amps and leave you with nothing but shame and a Line 6 spider practice amp. I keed! I keed!

I really do pretty much run straight into the amp most of the time. I do own a whopping 4 pedals, however: an overdrive, a fuzz and 2 delay pedals.

14. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Are you saying you got a dog C40, or you just prefer what the C45 does for you? Do you run both through 4x12s, or are they combos? No matter, just curious why you like your C45 better than your C40 and if they're both the same configuration.

15. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

:rotflmao

Dude, how can you have a dog Germino?

16. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I run both through the same cab. For ME the C45 kills the C40. I run Mullard XF2 EL34, Mullard long plate V1 and V2 and Tesla PI in my C40. I find it harder and less articulate than my C45. I must have a GREAT C45 because it totally kills the C40.

17. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member

Right not I'm using a Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD for lighter OD and a Landgraff DOD for the heavier stuff. Both great pedals... but I've yet to find a pedal that my Germino doesn't just eat up... in a good way.

Maybe a stupid question... Why is using a "Y" cable different than just jumping the channels with a length of patch cable? Doesn't the guitar signal reach both channels equally either way? Inquiring minds want to know! :p

18. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I'd love to hear it. I know it's a pain in the ass (because I do it for folks), but any chance you have a recording of both. It would be cool to hear you use the same guitar, same riff, through the same cab with both amps so we can hear the difference. I'd be curious if you really have a stellar C45, or just a preference for KT66s.

I had a Dr. Z Rt. 66 which is his take on a JTM 45 (loosely based, by his own admission). It ran KT66s. That amp was definitely looser/spongier than my Club 40. It was a bit too mushy in the bass notes for my taste so I traded out the rectifier tube for an NOS I got from Mike at KCA. It tighten it up more to my liking.

Btw, if you'd like to get a looser/spongier feel out of your C40 you can always run a Y cable into both channels. Also, come up with bass a little. That'll give you that loose feeling, hairy clean sound.

Anyhow, I reckon it would be silly for both amps to sound the same, lol. Oh, and I can certainly understand how you feel about the C45. I really like it too. As I said earlier, I like all three of Greg's small box offerings. If I get another Germino, I'm going to have a hard time deciding between the two I don't have. I'd likely go with the C45, however, as I can get a *real* close L55LV with the C40.

19. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

What plate voltage is the C45 running? Greg makes a Low, Med. and Hi voltage C45 from what I understand, and that could be making some real difference. The C40 is in the medium voltage range IIRC.

20. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

J.T., in my experience, they result in a different response. I can't really explain it well in words, but it's kind of like running both sides at the same time as opposed to one side 'bleeding' into the other. :)