• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I love my JTV-59, magnetic pickups included... video inside

Guitarjon

Hey guys,

It's time for something mellow, melodic and with a little emotion

I wrote and recorded this song a little while ago when I was trying out some new OwnHammer IR's from the new California Duo pack.
The 212 3QTR cab is quite a special little gem that shouldn't be overlooked.

For this song I mostly used the Axe FX's SM box Friedman amp with the V30 cab option in the mentioned pack.
The end part was done with the old HBE model and a mixed cab IR file.

I also used my JTV-59 Variax again.

I really love that guitar.

The stock magnetic pickups are so good, I usually end up just using those with great results.

I love to do more mellow stuff next to my heavy rock stuff and I will be doing more dynamic stuff in the future too.
The ending is slightly bombastic though... lol.

I couldn't help it.

I hope you guys enjoy this tune!

MLE

Playing a Line 6 through a Fractal product didn't cause a seismic shift to the future of humanity did it?

Sounds great....

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I've never played a JTV59 but would like to. I do dearly love my JTV69, it's so good I see no reason to keep my Highway 1 Strat. Love the fat neck, fat frets, and it might have the best Strat type trem I've played in a long time (can get subtle as well as wild). Stays in tune well too. I'd buy it as a regular guitar, it's almost as if the Variax electronics are a bonus.

arislaf

Hey guys,

It's time for something mellow, melodic and with a little emotion

I wrote and recorded this song a little while ago when I was trying out some new OwnHammer IR's from the new California Duo pack.
The 212 3QTR cab is quite a special little gem that shouldn't be overlooked.

For this song I mostly used the Axe FX's SM box Friedman amp with the V30 cab option in the mentioned pack.
The end part was done with the old HBE model and a mixed cab IR file.

I also used my JTV-59 Variax again.

I really love that guitar.

The stock magnetic pickups are so good, I usually end up just using those with great results.

I love to do more mellow stuff next to my heavy rock stuff and I will be doing more dynamic stuff in the future too.
The ending is slightly bombastic though... lol.

I couldn't help it.

I hope you guys enjoy this tune!

compared to the modeling les paul, are there differences?

Guitarjon

Cheers guys!

compared to the modeling les paul, are there differences?
Not sure what you mean but I assume you are referring to the tonal differences between the magnetic pickups and the virtual Les Paul variax model?

The main difference for me is that the palm mutes still don't sound completely convincing for me on the virtual guitar models.
It's definitely better than before and for a lot of folks it won't be an issue at all.
For me it is so the magnetic pickups can be a lifesaver for me in that regard.
So if I do heavy rock with muted stuff I use the magnetics but for any other style of playing the variax models are very good.

Other than that, the virtual Les Paul is obviously modeled on a vintage Gibson Les Paul so it has different tonal characteristics than the magnetic pickups.
I'd say the Les Paul is a little bit brighter and has more midrange bite.
Both sound very good though.

Hope that helps!

Guitarjon

By the way, my Helix has just been ordered!
Sahweettt!
Can't wait to start tweaking.
I'm planning on doing many video's for the Helix so if you'd like to stay up to date on that subscribing to my channel would be awesome!

benxiwf

Very cool track! Like the 6 feel..I felt it as a 4+2..not sure if thats how you interpret as well or not but thought it was a really cool feel and spaciness. Sort of like a more refined Sonic Youth which again not sure if that is at all an influence but perhaps my own take on these types of arrangements when I have something droning like that.

Guitarjon

Very cool track! Like the 6 feel..I felt it as a 4+2..not sure if thats how you interpret as well or not but thought it was a really cool feel and spaciness. Sort of like a more refined Sonic Youth which again not sure if that is at all an influence but perhaps my own take on these types of arrangements when I have something droning like that.
@benxiwf thank you!
I'm not familiar with Sonic Youth.
Is it something I should check out?
Any suggestions for tracks I should listen?

benxiwf

@benxiwf thank you!
I'm not familiar with Sonic Youth.
Is it something I should check out?
Any suggestions for tracks I should listen?
They sometimes have a really lo fi sound, particularly on the tracks Kim Gordon sings on which are not my favorite. You may or may not be familiar with the Thurston Moore and Lee Ronaldo sig Jazzmasters Fender did a few years back - they are their guitarists. They play pretty exclusively in alternate/open tunings so there is a lot of droning type things going on which I always found inspiring in my own writing even if my songs don't tend to bear a ton of resemblance to theirs. Although it is not the "quinessential" Sonic Youth sound, I have always enjoyed their album "Murray St." the most. Check out the first three songs..The Empty Page, Disconnection Notice, Rain on Tin - Rain on Tin maybe is the one that you might see what I was getting at the most...

Guitarjon

They sometimes have a really lo fi sound, particularly on the tracks Kim Gordon sings on which are not my favorite. You may or may not be familiar with the Thurston Moore and Lee Ronaldo sig Jazzmasters Fender did a few years back - they are their guitarists. They play pretty exclusively in alternate/open tunings so there is a lot of droning type things going on which I always found inspiring in my own writing even if my songs don't tend to bear a ton of resemblance to theirs. Although it is not the "quinessential" Sonic Youth sound, I have always enjoyed their album "Murray St." the most. Check out the first three songs..The Empty Page, Disconnection Notice, Rain on Tin - Rain on Tin maybe is the one that you might see what I was getting at the most...
Thanks, going to check those out soon!

gtr37

Already subscribed
I love the stuff you have and tips on your channel
Can't wait to see what you do with Helix
For your heavier drop D stuff I think you'll dig the Archon

Guitarjon

Already subscribed
I love the stuff you have and tips on your channel
Can't wait to see what you do with Helix
For your heavier drop D stuff I think you'll dig the Archon
I'm psyched to try that one!
I'm a huge Recto fan, is the rectifier good in the Helix?

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I'm psyched to try that one!
I'm a huge Recto fan, is the rectifier good in the Helix?
I'm not a fan of the Helix Recto model, actually.

That being said the Line 6 Fatality is a modded Recto, and the Archon is Recto-ish. Both way better than the actual Recto model. That's one particular area where I favor Fractal: Great sounding Mesa models across the board.

Guitarjon

I'm not a fan of the Helix Recto model, actually.

That being said the Line 6 Fatality is a modded Recto, and the Archon is Recto-ish. Both way better than the actual Recto model. That's one particular area where I favor Fractal: Great sounding Mesa models across the board.
What is it about the Recto that you don't like if I may ask?

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
What is it about the Recto that you don't like if I may ask?
Personally, it doesn't have the beef-y, wool-y character I've come to expect from Rectos. But that's just me. When I play the Rectos or TriAxis or Thorendal models on my AX8....way more satisfying. I think the Fatality was a MK II crack at capturing that just like the 2204 Mod smokes the "actual" 2204 model in the Helix for my tastes.

Guitarjon

Personally, it doesn't have the beef-y, wool-y character I've come to expect from Rectos. But that's just me. When I play the Rectos or TriAxis or Thorendal models on my AX8....way more satisfying. I think the Fatality was a MK II crack at capturing that just like the 2204 Mod smokes the "actual" 2204 model in the Helix for my tastes.
Interesting.
Maybe they did that FX loop cable boost thing again like in the HD series.
I'm positive that I'll get a good sound out of it though.
Very excited to try at least.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom