I love my new Les Paul, but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shane210, Sep 13, 2008.

1. shane210

shane210 Member

I feel like there were a bunch of problems with it when I got it. I know it's used, but it seems like some of it had to do with the initial setup from Gibson. The model, for reference's sake, is a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these:

1) When I got it, there was some awful fret buzz. I took it in to a shop, and he said that the nut wasn't carved very well and that there was very little place for the strings to sit.

2) It seems to go out of tune pretty easily. I don't know if the strings that the guy who shipped them with were new, but still, I've had it for a month or so now and I still find myself needing to retune pretty frequently because the G or B strings drop 1/8 step (other strings detune as well, just not as dramatically)

I believe that some of the other stuff has to deal with the tubes in my amp possibly going microphonic, so I guess I'll just have to do the pencil eraser test and find out. However, in practice I noticed something interesting. If I didn't have my hand muting the strings, there was a really weird sound coming from my amp, but when I muted the strings, it went away for the most part. There was still more buzz than there used to be, though, hence me thinking it might be microphonic.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this kinda stuff?

2. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

This is a nut issue too, actually. Every non-historic Gibson I've owned has required a slight widening and lubing of the nut slots to keep the strings from binding at the nut and going flat.

3. scottish

scottish Member

the tuning issue is almost def a nut problem unless the tech you took it to reshaped the nut slots in which case you might need to get the saddles on the bridge checked out, they could be ragged and need re-shaped.

the noise issue could be microphonic pups. whats in there and are they wax potted?

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Your experience is not unheard of from Gibson nowadays.

Sounds like you need a massive setup by a certified and experienced luthier/tech.

Try before you buy is always a good route to go as well.

5. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

The buzzing from the guitar is possibly an earth problem. I think Les Pauls are earthed from on of the bridge posts but am not sure.

Cars and Guitars need periodic servicing. They run better after a bit of a check up :)

6. skydawg

skydawg Member

i changed the nut to a bone nut on my 2007 lp and that stopped the strings from breaking and now it stays it in tune.

7. Peeb

Peeb Member

Any changes in tone or sustain? Just wondering.

8. skydawg

skydawg Member

I would say yes to a slight degree.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. slambango

slambango Active Member

You've had the guitar a month and you haven't changed the strings?? LOL!

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

...and the tech told you it was an issue with the nut, and you didn't deal with the problem yet. Get it set-up by a pro, and live happilly ever after

11. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

+1....

12. shane210

shane210 Member

Well I kind of abridged the story. I left out that he took the guitar into the back of the shop, did some work on the nut and said that if it kept acting up to bring it back. I don't know what the difference between what he did then and what he'll do now will be, but it's gonna be around $45?

Unfortunately, I am a college student, so food takes priority (and I say that knowing full well how that contradicts me buying the Les Paul in the first place). Hopefully I'll be able to do it sometime next week.

13. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Rub a little Carmex (yes, the lip balm) into the nut slots and away you go.

Really. ;)