• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I love my Orange cabs...but...

djpatb

...they are too directional. I don't notice it at practice as much...but on stage they are super directional. I use 2 4x12's w/ V30's and G12H30's in an x-pattern. The tone is warm and full...just great. But when I'm on stage I have to stand right in front of them for them to sound right to me. If I step off to either side all of a sudden my tone thins out.

So...any ideas to match the great tone of these cabs...but something that will fill the room better?

I've been looking into Mills Acoustics...but not sure if they'd be suited for my style (heavy/sludgy/doom/stoner rock).
Oh, and I use mainly my Electric Amp Innovations Master Unit, or my Bogner Shiva for heads.
Thanks!

somedude

Nice rig.

Pretty much any closed back cab will give you the problem you're describing. I'm not sure how Mills cabs are designed, but if they're closed back they'll still be directional.

You could try turning one cab into a semi-open back by building a new panel that covers the top and bottom third with the middle third left open. The sound will leave out the back port and reflect off whatever is at the back of the stage. The result is a less directional sound, and the cab so modified will be a little less punchy. But, it's cheap to try and since you still have the original back panel it's easy to unmodify.

Another option is side filling - putting the cab(s) on the side of the stage and pointed across the stage instead of strait out front. The result is that you'll always be standing in front of the cab... though it may/will cause problems with your signal bleeding into the other mics on stage.

Also, in ear monitors.

Off topic, how do you like the G12H-30/V30 combo? I have a V30/G12T-75 mix in mine and I like it... thicker sounding than either speaker on their own and very chunky.... yet the G12H has been calling out for me to try it (as has experimenting with a G12M/G12H combo).

djpatb

Hey Somedude!
I've never really cared for the 75's...too much high end for me. That's probably just my ears though. More often than not, things sound too bright to me. Anyway...I'm pretty fond of the G12H30/V30 mix. The mids of the V30's get tamed a bit...and the G12H30's add a solid low end. It's nice and tight. The overall combo is warm and thick, and still cuts through.

orangekick

I've noticed the same thing. Our other guitar player uses Orange cabs and he sounds great right in front of his rig. Where I'm standing he always sounds "off." FWIW, I use a Mojo 4x12 because it resonates more and I get better tone everywhere that I stand. I've even stood behind it with decent results.

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
I always notice much fuller/warmer sound when not being directly in front of the cab. Yours thins out? That sounds odd from my experience. Maybe you are just not getting the cut like you are used to from standing directly in front of it.

illini

I always notice much fuller/warmer sound when not being directly in front of the cab. Yours thins out? That sounds odd from my experience. Maybe you are just not getting the cut like you are used to from standing directly in front of it.
Same here. Right in front of the cab the mids always seem to be the most prevalent, but off to the side everything gels together very nicely. I also use a 412 closed back cab with V-30/G12h30's.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I think this is the case with any standard closed back cab. I just got a Mesa 4x12 that has only seen rehearsals at this point, but I noticed it even more with my old closed 2x12s. It's just part of the equation to me. If you don't want to get something with an open back, mic it and go through the PA to disperse your sound to other parts of the stage.

Last edited:

djpatb

I think this is the case with any standard closed back cab. I just got a Mesa 4x12 that has only seen rehearsals at this point, but I noticed it even more with my old closed 2x12s. It's just part of the equation to me. If you don't want to get something with a closed back, mic it and go through the PA to disperse your sound to other parts of the stage.
Well, we're always mic'd...but we run our stacks so loud there's never any guitar in the monitors.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
...they are too directional. I don't notice it at practice as much...but on stage they are super directional. I use 2 4x12's w/ V30's and G12H30's in an x-pattern. The tone is warm and full...just great. But when I'm on stage I have to stand right in front of them for them to sound right to me. If I step off to either side all of a sudden my tone thins out.

So...any ideas to match the great tone of these cabs...but something that will fill the room better?

I've been looking into Mills Acoustics...but not sure if they'd be suited for my style (heavy/sludgy/doom/stoner rock).
Oh, and I use mainly my Electric Amp Innovations Master Unit, or my Bogner Shiva for heads.
Thanks!

I love Orange cabs as well. They never seem to get any mention around here. Great tones! :dude

Trending Topics