I love my pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mike Duncan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

...so much that I truly feel like I'm missing out on them if I don't shove as many of them as possible on a board. I'm not joking. I've recently gotten my DM-2w and feel like I'm missing out on using other delays/echoes - it's nuts to have a board with an El Capistan, Echorec, Space Echo, Carbon Copy, AND a DM-2w. Right? Or just say screw it and jam 'em all on there!! Timmy, OCD, Moonshine, OD-3, BD-2, Burnley....all of them.

My wife says I'm nuts. She right.

2. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

An artist can NEVER have too many colors.

3. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I am different...I feel like too many pedals degrades tone and interrupts good playing. So I own many, swap configurations often, but hold at about 5 or 6 on a board at most. Am I normal?

4. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

If I ain't using it I ain't owning it!

Well, one small exception: my Analog.Man Astro Tone is not going anywhere, it's just too much fun!

5. mac jones

mac jones Member

I hate them :(

Hate them all. All 423

6. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

I have a very stressful love/hate relationship with my pedals. One day I can find the greatest tones I've ever created through a certain stack, then the next it sounds like crap to me. Its a weird phenomenon. I'm always deciding to sell off something, then I get too anxious because maybe I just didn't give it enough time to find the right settings that work for me. So I plug back into it and fiddle some more. Just to find that I want to sell it again and try the next cool thing.

7. strings4v

strings4v Member

I do understand OP haha they are lots of fun. But if you nail down the sound you want with just a guitar and an amp, pedals just add on it. Don't need to have so many.
    But mmm I want a Riot Reloaded and a Bogner Red.

8. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

As long as they don't distract you from creating music, sounds good.

9. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

Are you in a band? If so then yeah, you'll have some duplication. If you're just playing for yourself knock yourself out, you enjoy it, so what?

How many shoes does she have? She can only wear on pair at a time. Having more than one pair of shoes is silly.

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Yes and no. The ones I gig with on my main board are the ones I need and they deliver everytime. And that board has remained unchanged for 6 years.

I have three other smaller boards for practice and fun. They change, but nothing has knocked off the tried and true effects of the main board.

11. NielsM

NielsM Member

Haha +1.

This happens to me alot too. So you're not the only one.

12. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I want as few things as I can get away with - the less crap processing and affecting my tone the better, and the shorter the signal path before it hits my amp the better too. I'm miffed because I might have to add another pedal to my board - I use a Mythical overdrive for medium/classic rock drive, a Timmy for light "barely breaking up", and a TS9 as a solo boost. Now the guys are wanting to ad these 80's heavy rock tunes and these pedals won't quite cut it [the MO and the Timmy together is close, but tis not 100% there].

Now, that being said, I do have a table FULL of pedals I have just to have - I play with them by themselves through my little practice amp, take them to jams, let friends try them out if they are thinking of buying one - they are fun. But on my gigging board - as few as I can possibly get away with the better.

13. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

I feel the same. I've devoted myself to never purchase a bigger board. If I can't fit on my PT-2, it's in the closet.

14. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I agree with most of what you guys are saying.

No matter how many pedals I have, no matter how many times I say " that's enough-I'm done" , I ALWAYS see something else that sparks my curiosity.

I keep adding more to the mix, but I rarely sell anything off, thinking "maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, or the right guitar/amp combo."

Then sometimes, I get so overwhelmed by my own choices, I just say "screw it" , and plug my P-90 LP into an MXR Dist +, and right into my Marshall.

15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Free home to unloved pedals, inquire within.

16. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I love my guitars and gear so much that I say "bye" to them when I go on trips w the fam. I seriously miss them and am looking into travel guitars :)

17. Jose Eduardo

Jose Eduardo Member

Hold it there... Glad you finally got it. What do you think about it?

18. Enusire

Enusire Member

Tyvm for sharing this! Sometimes I´m in the same boat...

19. playthecray

playthecray Member

Nothing wrong with loving your pedals especially if they inspire you.

20. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Just like guns, I have more than I need but not as many as I want.