i love my rectoverb, jusr had to tell you all

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimSt.L, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

So last night was my first practice with my new(to me) rectoverb combo. I first slaved out the recto to a Hughes n kettner solid state head through the fx loop return to give it a bit more wattage. I ran my mesa slant 4:12 with the recto speaker out. Them ran a splawn 4:12 with the Hughes.
    It sounded huge! I was very pleased.

I used a line 6 pod xt for my fx and my main distortion, so I was only using my clean channel on the mesa.

After awhile of mesa pleasure I decided to skip the Hughes and see what the 50 Watt rectoverb combo could do on it's own. I will tell you that this combo was easily able to push both of those big boy 4:12's with no issue whatsoever. I was putting a peavey jsx that was on the other side of the room to shame. I can say that every way I tried to run this head was sounding fantastic.

One thing, I can't go without at least one question.
    I'd really like to try and run the actual mesa distortion but Im getting a lot of feedback from the high gain settings I use and the volume I have to be at, and how close I have to be to my amp. Would a boss noise suppressor ran in the fx loop take care of the noise? Or does that noise happen after the loop itself?. Has anyone successfully diminished the feedback and gain buzz from a mesa on high gain by using a noise gate? Thanks for any advise.

2. dughaze

dughaze Member

These are great amps. They deliver and don't cost an arm and a leg. I dig the overdrive on that amp, especially the Vintage mode. Assuming that the tubes are good it sounds like you have the gain up too high. The treble, mid, and gain controls add gain and the presence control being set too high can also cause squealing. As the volume goes up these things need to be decreased. I would start with just plugging the guitar straight into the amp without everything else to troubleshoot the squeal and go from there. You shouldn't need a noise suppressor.

Are you using single coil pickups?

3. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

No single coils. I have active emg's in an eclipse. I run an xt live and it has a great noise gate on it. But that's before the noise in the chain. Of course... I wI'll try to tweak the knobs a bit and go from there. My gain probably IS up a bit high but that's kinda what Im going for. Im sure I can afford to back off of it a bit.

I am using two 4:12's at practice. One is one one end of the room and the other is at the other end. We play pretty loud so it will take some serious tweaking to stop the squealys.

How does a super high gain player eradicate noise while playing through the pre amp gain on a tour? I've toured before but have always used a stomp box distortion. It seems the noise and feedback would be after any noise gates in the chain... unless the fx loop is series maybe?

4. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Isp Decimator pedal.

5. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

So would that do any good in front of the amp?:edit: because its before the preamp and thats what is generating the problem....Or would it have to be run through an fx loop? Im trying to use quite a lot of my mesas gain on modern and I am going to try and tweak the knobs a bit more tomorrow at practice. I have less of an issue on stage with feedback because Im so far from my amp. But when were trying to write at practice, and there are short stops and pauses in our music, the feedback is a bit much.
    Like I said, Im fairly new to using the amps gain. I've always been a stomper. So I just want to figure out the best way to eliminate as much excess noise as I can...
    Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

ISP before the amp (last thing in the chain) and you will have quick stops and no squeal.

I run one before my high gainers and it works great...just make sure you turn it off if you want cleans as you will have zero dynamics and it will cut in and out.

7. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I run it before high gainers and do not need to adjust for cleans, no cut off. Sounds great. You can put it in the fx loop also but it works well before the amp. Also it works better if you put it before OD pedals. Instructions say to put it last but you can keep the threshold much lower and still kill noise if you place it before od pedals. It has a good buffer as well. It's my only non TB pedal and it drives the signal nicely.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  8. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Thanks for the info. Im going to get one and see how it works out. The boss ns didn't do much of anything. In front or through the loop. I've seen these isp's in many of pro rigs, just never gave em much thought until now. Thanks again.

9. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Im picking up an isp decimator today. I will put it to the test on Tuesday.
    I also just wanted to say that after fifteen years of searching for an amp I truly love, I believe I have found it.
    I am going to turn it into a head instead of the combo that it currently is. I went through DOZENS of amps. Tubes, solid state, cheap, high end. This rectoverb sounds so good. Better than my dual rec I used to own by far. Better than my 78 marshall head.
    .Im truly happy with my tone now.

10. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

Cool. I played a Dual Rectifier too not too long ago. It was such an impressive experience. I never knew my Strat could sound so massive. It was weird. Sort of what I'd expect a Les Paul to sound like.

11. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Could any of this be caused by microphonic tubes?

12. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I just got a rectoverb (head) a couple weeks ago. I love it, but I used to have a dual rec so I knew what I was in for. I love rectos!

13. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah. Those amps are badass. Total rock machines. Glad you're liking yours. I'm currently jamming the Express 5:50 and keep flirting with getting another Rectoverb 112 combo for a 2nd amp.