• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I love my SD-1 but hate the buffer

johnny5

Silver Supporting Member
I have been through so many overdrives to get a nice, slightly compressed, dirty boost for solos and none I have liked more than my old trusty (early 5 star mod) Boss SD-1. It the pedal I have owned the longest and I plan on holding on to it for a long time.

Problem is that in the recent years I have become a fuzz face freak and the buffer on the Boss pedals anywhere in the chain just screws with them. The SD-1 sounds great when it's on but when it's off it make all my fuzzes sound bright and weird.

Any ideas on either getting this pedal to a true bypass state or something else that can do what it does so well? I am curious about the Keeley Red Dirt as an alternative, love the mini version.

coltonius

Señor Member
I can true bypass the pedal.. or you can do it. Just depends on whether you want an actual mechanical switch or a clickless system. A TB looper would certainly be the easiest solution- but if you're pressed for space, the mod could be your solution!

Last edited:

johnny5

Silver Supporting Member
I suppose the loop pedal is the way to go. they are pretty small too!

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe try the SD-1w, supposedly the buffer is improved, and you still have the same effect, plus the custom effect. And, I've seen them showing up in the emporium for decent prices.

stinkfoot

To make it work with a fuzz face, an improved buffer won't help - the fuzz face wants so see the pickups head on, so it can load them down. This is why a fuzz face needs to sit first in the chain (with only true bypass pedals, turned off, before it). So if you can't move the SD-1 later in the chain, you'll need to modify it to true bypass.

Trending Topics