i LOVE my ZVEX Distortron

jason41224

seriously though. i can't believe this pedal isn't on everybody's board. the benchmark i use for my distortion tones is my Orange Rocker 30, which in my humble opinion is very much a one trick pony but holy crap, that one trick is worth it. the distortron nails that sound perfectly on all my amps: not lacking in bass like many MIAB pedals (pinnacle, DLS, SCOD), and not lacking mids like some (OCD). just the perfect amount of everything, and tailorable to just about every rig with the sub switch. best of all, it cuts through the live mix perfectly, with all three of my projects. mission success.

i haven't felt this excited about a new pedal purchase in a really, really long time :beer

gtnoise

I need to try one as I loved the BOR but it just had too much bottom end for my Vox.

Having the BOR circuit but being able to switch down the bass sounds really good.

I wish he'd add that to the BOR as I really liked the boost as well and it was voiced a little bit differently to the SHO.

jonahstepro

Curious what type of amp you have. I have a Bad Cat Black Cat and have been searching for a good distortion for it

RocksOff

@gtnoise:
The new Double Rock is two BORs in a single pedal, and they have the same configurable subs by switch.

27sauce

Its on my wish list. I've had a Box of Rock on my board since it came out. I absolutely love it, and use it with all kinds of amps in all kinds of musical situations.

jason41224

Curious what type of amp you have. I have a Bad Cat Black Cat and have been searching for a good distortion for it
i have a couple of Oranges: a Rocker 30 (M-type) and an AD30 (vox type). i also have a early 60's Supro Super and my buddy let me try it through his AC15. it sounded best on the Vox and the AD, but i thought it sounded great in general regardless of the amp with a few tweaks.

i think zac made the pedal to go along with marshalls, but it has a large amount of bottom end (which can be dialed out on the D.Tron) and good mids, which makes it pretty ideal for AC-type amps. i think it'd go with your Bad Cat pretty well.

HayekFan

Yep, great pedal. Very amp like and natural sounding. I knew it was a winner after playing it for about 30 seconds. I keep the subs on 2, the lo/hi gain switch on lo, and the drive at about 75%. It's the last in line of my OD boxes with a FF and Muff etc. feeding into it, so that it plays the role of "amp" in the lineup. It's enough of a keeper that I'd splurge on a hand painted version if it were available.

voxylady

I had one for a while and I really loved the amp-like dynamics of it, and it also cleans up really well. However, I ended up getting rid of it because I couldn't get it to cut through in a live band setting. I play with an AC15 but could not dial it in for the life of me. If it just cut through a bit better it would have been a keeper for sure.

Trending Topics