I love single coils, but they gotta be BIG!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Da Geezer, May 9, 2015.

1. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

After 40-odd years of pickin', I've finally have found my favorite pickups....BIG single coils. (P-90’s & Jazzmasters)

I started out on a LP in the early 70's, and over the years tried to like Strats and Teles, but couldn't get along with the thin sound of the small singles (although I loved the clarity)

Last year I got an LP w/P-90's and LOVED them....thought they were the best possible

Then early this year I picked up a Jazzmaster and those huge pups were even better! Liked them so much that I put an JM pickup in the neck of my '87 Tele (which previously had a Seth lover in the neck) and it made that guitar complete!

As long as the pickups are RWRP, I'm not losing a thing as far as noise reduction, since I pretty much live in the middle position (with occasional detours to the neck, and more seldom the bridge alone). All 3 of my current guitars meet the RWRP requirement, as will the new build.

I'm now having a custom build done with JM's, a "Blacktop"/light back Alder body, Medium C maple neck.....my dream guitar.

So how about it....anybody else have love for the monster singles?? :beer

G

2. PW214

PW214 Member

Yes. Railhammer Gnarly 90's...they are humbucker sized. May be my favorite P90's ever.

I have one in a neck pickup on one of my Reverend guitars but I'm having a custom being built and these are the pickups I'm having put in it.

http://www.railhammer.com/pickups.html

3. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

The sound demos on their website seem to me could be any pickup.

Can you post a demo played using the tone you are pleased with?

4. Da Geezer

Thanks for pointing those out, I didn't know about them (although I've heard of Railhammer)

I have a '97 Ibanez Blazer HSH that I was about to put GFS Mean 90's in....maybe I'll try the Gnarly's instead ;)

I'm selling 2x other HB equipped guitars, but the Blazer is so modded, I'd have a hard time selling it....plus, it's just a fantastic playing and sounding guitar. It was my #1 for many years, so there's an emotional attachment, too.

Thanks for the tip!

G

5. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

I bought a set of GFS Mean 90s and dropped them in a semi hollow guitar. Love the sound they make.

6. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

I have found myself gravitating to a good set of hand wound humbuckers with exceptional clarity. Then I install a coil tap. Best of both worlds. I will say though that the more I hear P90's or soap bars etc, they have such an inviting sound. It will be on the list for my next build.

7. PW214

PW214 Member

Hey, np!
    I think that Naylor's pickups are some of the best on the market (and surprisingly unknown). I have had the Hyper-vintage railhammers humbuckers installed in another of my guitars and am seriously considering them for my GLP....that's really saying something, because I love the classic Gibson tones.

I used to hate single coils until I heard some fatter P90's...that's what started me on the quest to find one for me. I wasn't sure I was won over though, so I only went with the neck pickup (and a Bob Balch RH humbucker for the bridge) but every time I pull that guitar out, I have it on the neck pickup almost exclusively so I decided to have my custom built with the set. It'll be a trial for me (first entirely P90 guitar), and part of the reason I love them is that I can exchange with a humbucker if it doesn't work well for my sound (without any routing) but that's really just the icing for me.

8. theon

theon Member

P90's do sound awesome in semi hollows.

9. brandass

brandass Member

P90s are my favorites, hands down. There are other SCs, and HBs, I like a lot, but in the end I always round back to P90.

Need more experience with JM, seems likely they'll be my #2 but need more time with them to confirm it. In the meantime, SC and HB variants hold that spot.

And then there are filtertrons, and goldfoils, and miniHBs, and firebirds... It never ends.

10. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

FWIW I've been liking Fralin P92's. Two offset fat 3-pole coils. Silent but very P90-ish. To my ear 80% P90 and just a bit of PAF. Piano-string lows, thick mids, and bell-like highs. Cool pickup if you like a bit of gain, like a P90 vibe, but can't handle P90 hum. Lindy posts mostly clean clips but I love this pickup for soloing with some gain in the neck position. Cleans up the bottom end woof but still chewey.

11. PW214

PW214 Member

Oh these sound nice. I may have to check them out!

12. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I'm with you. I'm a fan of P-90s as well, but by far the biggest-sounding single-coils I've heard are those by Valco:

[​IMG]

13. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

The Gibson P-90SR and P-90ST (neck and bridge) are basically a regular P-90 coil with alnico slugs for pole pieces. I wouldn't say they sound bigger than regular P-90's, but they are more clear and articulate, which may or may not be what some people are looking for. I have no experience with Jazzmaster pickups, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are similarities.

Gibson is putting the P-90S's on the new LP Specials (I think.) Stratosphere always has at least one pair for sale on Ebay for $100.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Me likey! Va-va-va-VOOM!

Uh...where do you find suchlike?

***EDIT***
    Never mind. Found some. Wow...hmm...how's the neck...? Sounds like the pups are popular!

15. Da Geezer

So those are singles?? (They have the look of a HB with the offset pole pieces)

Can you find them used, or does someone make a repro? (Are they the "Vistas"?)

Thx, G

EDIT: looks like someone IS making a reproduction, but in regular HB size....
    http://www.roadhousepickups.com/pickups/supro-vista-tone

16. theon

theon Member

Watching Woodstock on tv now. Joe Cockers guitarist is using a Goldtop with P90's. Sounds amazing!