1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

I love strats but.......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JoeYello, Jul 4, 2020.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello Supporting Member

I’m definitely a Les Paul player. I have always been and always gig with a Les Paul, yet I really enjoy noodling around at home with a strat.

I love the way they look and feel in my hands. I hear many guitarists do amazing things with them yet when I’ve taken one to rehearsal I sound terrible. Too thin, too high pitched no bottom. Being a long time TGP member I have tried a 100 OD pedals and various amps to no avail.

I read a thread yesterday saying how a baseplate on the bridge pup will thicken up solos and I’m already thinking of trying that.

Maybe I should just realize they don’t work for me and stop chasing after something that my ears will never hear from a Stratocaster. I will keep one at home to play and practice with. Hopefully I can be at peace with that!

Thanks for reading/listening to my rant!!!!

2. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

I am only a Strat guy (I do have one tele) and Les Pauls feel weird in my hands, like awkward. My experience with the baseplate was positive but when I hear people say "Strats are too thin" or high pitched my first thought is where are the guitar's tone controls set? Also, IMHO the amp EQ for a LP never matches the amp settings needed for a Strat or Tele. So are you making any changes when switching guitars? Are you working the tone controls on the Strat?

Do you roll back the tone control for the Strat bridge? In my world you must have it set at 6 1/2 or 7-ish to not destroy ears. Ymmv

3. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Member

Ever tried a single coil size humbucker in the bridge position of a strat? They make them and they’re great. The Seymour Duncan ones alone are worth the price of admission (JB Jr, Little ‘59, Hot Rails, Red Devil, etc). They also make Strats that already come with full size humbuckers.

You can easily get a Strat into Les Paul tonal territory. I have 2 Strats and 3 Les Pauls and never have to change amp settings between them.

4. JoeYello

I definitely have tried adjusting the controls and have even wired the strat to have the tone pot on the bridge.....we rehearse in a rehearsal studio so many times I am using the studio’s amps so I do adjust the tone controls.

I have a Clapton strat and that gets me closest to the sound I’m after.

5. JoeYello

I do have a JB Jr and I like the tone but hate the way it looks....the whole double pole thing. I couldn’t get passed that.

Bort and Bob Pollock like this.
  6. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

From a boost perspective to get you into thick LP territory, I use the Lincoln Brewster Strat with that boost circuit that can propel you right there. If you’re using the EC Strat, I assume you are using the boost circuit, as well? For me, the LB not only can blow up the mids a bit, but dial in more thick gain to scream a bit more like a HB.

I used to gig with strats regularly, and I agree that setting your amp and tone controls are pivotal. I also always had an EP Booster on tap to add some girth. Coupled with the JB Jr, it’s a win win. We had another player who only used buckers, and that combo never have me any problems.

If you don’t like the ‘look’ of the JB, you could try the Zex Coil. It’s also ‘not traditional’ look, but that will give you some juicy goodness

JoeYello likes this.
  7. aroman

aroman Member

Loud Marshal + Guv'nor [​IMG]

mojeke, 71strat, sidk47 and 11 others like this.
  8. aroman

aroman Member

Loud Marshall + Fuzz face [​IMG]

mojeke, 71strat, Premanand and 12 others like this.
  9. aroman

aroman Member

Loud Vox and Treble booster [​IMG]

mojeke, Premanand, gkelm and 13 others like this.
  10. JoeYello

I like the idea of one guitar with humbuckers and the other with singles. My band has been A 3 piece for a while so I’ve been the only guitar. That’s why I prefer the Les Paul for this situation. We are not bluesy at all. Kind of heavier power pop/punk thing.

Maguchi and sidk47 like this.
  11. JoeYello

Showing me pics of Rory and Hendrix kind of supports my initial comment....love those guys but I would never sound anything like them even if I used their rig!!!

I guess the tone is in the fingers and hands??? I’m the poster boy for that! LOL

sidk47 likes this.
  12. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

Ever try this trick with your strat?

13. JoeYello

I have a couple of fuzz pedals.....a PE Germ and a Frantone The Sweet. These pedals were popular on TGP a decade or so ago. I think I’ll pull them out.

14. dazco

dazco Member

Funny because lately i am coming to the same feeling as the OP, tho not fenders in general, only strats. They are all i have played forever with few exceptions. And probably my biggest tone issue i have fought all my like it thin sound. I never considered it was the strats i played. By lately i have only been playing teles and a LP special P90 and have not touched the strat and i'm not having the same issue anymore ! I just got a new tele thats much brighter then my other one, but as bright as it is it has more girth to it than the strat still. Strange how after decades the guitars i have mainly used were possibly responsible for my # 1 tone issue ! I am now actually considering selling my last strat and never playing them again. I will wait probably a year tho ad if in that time i just cannot get past how thin it sounds compared to my LP and tele i think i will be done with strats after a lifetime of them ! I find that hard to believe and it's happened before when i discovered teles, but i went back to them ten so who knows. But i definitely get what the OP is feeling.

PartoftheDark, sidk47 and JoeYello like this.
  15. Uncle Dad

Uncle Dad Member

The neck pickup is where it's at with strats in my view. Not thin at all. But the bridge sounds good too with a bit of extra juice.

Maguchi, sidk47, mycroftxxx and 6 others like this.
  16. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Perhaps, amp up, git tone pot down....and maybe switch out the capacitor. I use an old piw cap.

sidk47 likes this.
  17. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

It's probably your amp settings. If you have it dialed in for humbuckers, single coils are not going to sound as impressive. FWIW, as great as strats sound through a Marshall, I've always preferred them though Fenders. Fender amp circuitry always seems to bring out the best in a strat. Hit it on the front end with just a little bit of grit from a good OD/Dist pedal and it's great.

18. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

The tone you're describing is actually the strength of the Strat tone--but it needs to be used in a situation which truly calls for it.

For example, when I'm playing through my vintage Bassman, my Strat sounds like heaven. Just can't stop playing it. But, my Les Paul just sounds dark and dull into the Bassman. This amp's wiring seems to be designed with the Strat in mind.

Then, when I load up my JCM2000 and jam with my drummer buddy, and I'm trying to play sustaining lead lines way up the neck--the Strat is just far too plinky to cut it. The Les Paul, however, perfectly harnesses the more abundant overdrive of the JCM2000.

It's all about context!

EDIT: Just remembered, I once did a very detailed recording comparison between (A) JB in the bridge of my Strat, vs (B) Stock Gibson humbucker in bridge of my Les Paul. Both were played into my JCM2000, set for HARD ROCK. Result: they were both much more similar than different. Very fat, very driven. So, it can be done!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Maguchi, gkelm, sidk47 and 5 others like this.
  19. J-PPP

J-PPP Member

Dimarzio Injector.

ldizzle likes this.
  20. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

It isn't the pedals and it isn't equipment. Its what you are used to and how you think about doing things...

I am a single coil guy. Only strats and an occasional tele. That is what I came up on and what I am used to setting things for. When I plug in a guitar with humbuckers, it sounds mushy and inarticulate. I've had really nice guitars with humbuckers that I always wind up selling.
    It eventually dawned on my that it is me. I set everything up to sound good with strats.

Strip whatever stuff you use down and turn every knob to zero. Set it up and only use a strat. Set it how it sounds good and not what you think it should be or are used to.
    Commit to it for a couple of weeks. You didn't learn all the secrets humbuckers have in a few hours, and you won't find them in single coils in a day either.

There is a happy medium to be found where both sound good, but for now set it up to sound good with just a strat.
    (Also a bass plate helps, but won't make the bridge pickup something it isn't)