I love the IDEA of the Crazy Horse, but would like something cheaper... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wundergussy, May 10, 2016.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

So i really like that the Crazy Horse has separate controls for drive and fuzz and seemingly the ability to blend fuzz into an overdrive. however, they rarely come up used, and even then are kinda expensive for a pedal I wouldn't use TOO much. What out there can be had for under $150 that does an OD sound with fuzz? I know the Supro-type drives can get INTO a fuzzy thing, but I am more attracted to blending fuzz in with a drive. I have had a few Screwdrivers, but their gain range stops short.

I haven't tried a SS/BS Mini, and was wondering if it will do this, but it seems like it is either an OD OR a fuzz, and not necessarily a blend of the two.

I play a Les Paul into a 6V6 amp, btw, so the whole "get a fuzz face and dial back your volume" doesn't really work. Really just wondering if anyone makes a pedal that does what the CH does but cheaper.

2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Supporting Member

Its not so much of a blend as it is feeding the overdrive circuit into the fuzz. So it is cascading as opposed to operating in parallel. The DOD Punkfier has both an overdrive and a fuzz circuit and it does use a blend. I don't think the two have much in common sonically and it is that cascading gain structure that seems to cause the difference.

wundergussy likes this.
  3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I think the new Source Audio dirt pedals allow that. -E

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Oh, gotcha. Didn't realize it was series... I guess then I can just do this with a regular pedal stack.

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Supporting Member

They mention that it cascades in one of the demo videos. I suppose you could mimic it with something similar, but you wouldn't have the voltage sag readily available. That seems to help create some of those Neil Young-type tones.