1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

I love the OCD version 4!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phishead5941, May 21, 2011.

1. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

So, the first OCD pedal I bought was a danelectro cool cat version one and I love it. It is my go to high gain distortion. From what I have read it is basically a clone of the OCD version 2. I had been using a BB Preamp for my low to medium gain dirt box but I gave it to a friend, so I've been trying to replace it. I tried the Amp 11 and the Timmy but both of those pedals sounded fizzy to me through my rig. I tried the DLS version 2 and the low end wasn't tight enough for me. So, I went to guitar center and bought an OCD version 4 and wow I'm impressed. It is awesome even at lower gain settings. For a rock dirt box to stay on my board the low end has to be tight and full and the OCD is definitely tight and full in the low end. And it just sounds awesome. It sounds great both for chord work and for lead work. It is hard to make this pedal sound bad; it sounds good at pretty much any setting. I paid $159 and it has a 5 year warranty. I think that is the longest warranty I have seen offered. Most companies offer a 1 to 2 year warranty. Given that the boiling point and the fetto are over 200 along with many other boutique pedals, 159 is a reasonable price. I tried the boiling point and I much prefer the OCD. I have a Fetto Nord in the mail. I'm excited to compare it to the OCD.

2. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I ran my Fetto Nord against a mates v3 OCD today. IMO the Nord does a similar thing with a tighter low end, more open and ripping upper mids, plus there's the onboard boost. I run the jumpers inside all to the left, more mids and the boost comes post Fetto, a bigger sound.

3. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

4. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

I've been loving my new OCD too. Sounds great, and the other great thing is that it's not too expensive! I hardly ever stack my OD pedals, but it sounds huge with a Klon.

5. MRCHILL4

MRCHILL4 Member

well I also love my ocd version 4, but i would in no way say that it is comparable to the boiling point. for me. they are way different. the bp could approximate an ocd....but an ocd can not replicate a bp.

6. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I used to fully love my OCD v4 into the Egnater Tweaker w/ hot humbuckers. I got a Tele and to swapped my phase inverter to an NOS AT7 for pushing the power tubes a little harder thing, and suddenly I couldn't dial out this high harmonic harshness in the OCD.

This started a massive OD tasting period with Fetto standard, Silver Kiss Proto 2, various boosters and low gain fuzzes (LOVE the A-man Astrotone!!!), Skreddy Screwdriver, TC MojoMojo, a Boss BD-2 w/ Phat mod, C-Bread WIIO v2, Tim(my) on order...I found lots of great tones across these, but never got back to that endlessly stackable open crunch of the OCD v4.

Even going back to the AX7 in PI, something was different. It's like the mojo was broken.

I recently came across a time capsule mint early OCD v1 and grabbed it. Guess what: the high harmonics are smoother! That gorgeous open crunch that turns into jangle with the vol knob is there too. Both the PRS and Tele love it, I just need to lower the gain for the 'buckers. Downside is that it's not quite as stackable as I recall the v4 to be and has that infernal goop on the circuit board, but the tone is back, even with the AT7 back in PI.

I learned my lesson that for open, airy OD with early Marshall flavor, the OCD is a classic. Now I want to try the other versions, too!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  7. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I wish I had the patience to try all the good pedals mentioned on TGP. I bought an OCD V.4 three weeks back. I use is as a boost to break up my clean channel on a Rivera Venus 5. Sounds fantastic and never once thought about taking it back. It also adds a whole other dimension to my gain channel. It works really well with my Les Paul / mini JBecks and same with my Strat and Dimarzio's.

I just picked up an 18 V power supply, but haven't had the chance to see how that affects the sound.

8. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

I prefer the OCD at 18 volts. The difference is fairly dramatic. And I also really want to try the other versions of the OCD.

9. markschick

markschick Supporting Member

What amp are you running?

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I found two things with the OCD, it sound better at higher volume levels and its character changes with the amp you're using. I'm using a v4 now and wasn't loving it with my MIA Blues Deluxe. I sold the Blues Deluxe and had the OCD on CL, but I got a DRRI before any offers came in on the OCD... so I plugged it into the DRRI for the heck of it. Low and behold the pedal became much more dynamic and responsive to that amp and I deleted the CL ad on the v4 pedal.

I will say this... while I like my v4 now, I had a v3 that I sold to fund a guitar purchase and the v3 was a better sounding pedal to my ears. It just had some properties that I preferred, but I'm good with my v4 now that I'm using a DRRI.

One more thing... I tried it at 18v and went back to 9v, I don't need any headroom from this pedal.

11. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

I got the Fetto Nord (previously called the Fat-oh Nord) a few weeks ago and it is a wonderful sounding british voiced overdrive; however, I spent a lot of time comparing it to the OCD version 4 and it wasn't that much better to my ears (if at all). I have boosts pedals that I love, the RC booster and a lizard leg flying dragon, so the fact that the Fetto has a boost really didn't sweeten the deal for me. So, my thought process was that the Fetto cost $350 and the OCD is $160, therefore it is not worth the extra cash. I put it up on the emporium and sold it for $375. It sold the first day I posted it. With all this said, of all the marshall style dirt boxes I have played the OCD and the Fetto are 2 of my favorites and the boost on the Fetto is sick. It's just hard for me to keep a dirt box on my board that costs over 200 because there are so many great pedals at a lower price tag. Plus, I like having the boost as a seperate pedal so I can change it's placement in my effects chain. One of the main things I listened for when comparing the OCD and Fetto was touch sensitivity (ie does the pedal break up more when you dig in and clean up when your pick attack is light). The Fetto was more touch sensitive and cleaned up a bit better, but not that much to my ears on my rig. It wasn't a night and day difference by any means; it was subtle. It wasn't enough to justify the monetary investment to me. The fetto sounded so similar to the OCD that I'm wondering if the fetto is the same circuit or close to the same circuit as the OCD. Does anyone know if the fetto circuit and the ocd are similar?

I'm playing a tele through a hot rod deluxe.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The OCD is very good at touch-sensitive distortion. I think it's great, and like you I think it's better to just play and go rather than spending hours A/B-ing pedals that cost twice as much and only sound 5% better.

13. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

I fully agree, the OCD is a classic and my guess is that because it is not as rare, exotic, expensive, new (it has been around a long time) that it gets over looked by many gear pagers. Or maybe the assumption is that everyone already knows how incredible this pedal is. Either way, this is a pedal that every dirt addict should spend some quality time with. It is as much a classic as the Timmy and the Klon in my opinion. I understand that these pedals are quite different, but the Timmy and Klon are legendary here on the TGP. For a marshall style distortion the OCD should garner the same respect as the aforementioned pedals. I am so stoked about this pedal that it makes me want to give the other Fulltone pedals a closer look.

14. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

One thing I think I'm learning about the gear page is that a number of us here at the gear page are into what's new and what's rare. We are on the search for the 'holy grail' of dirt pedals (and pedals in general) and this has a great effect on what generates respect and buzz concerning stomp boxes. Also, this can cause us to overlook the tried and true (think tube screamer).

15. jnichols2727

jnichols2727 Member

I had a Boiling Point that was recently kicked off the board by an OCDv4. To me, the OCD had almost the same amount of clarity and definition as the BP, but sounded much fuller. I love the OCD!!

16. Codyh630

Codyh630 Member

I've had my OCD v.4 for a few months now and I love it! It's seriously impossible to make it sound bad. In the LP mode it sounds great as a light overdrive or even as a clean boost style pedal and in the HP mode it can turn my Vox AC30 into a Marshall style amp with plenty of crunch and grit. Such a great pedal!

17. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

18. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

19. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

Joe, dig the vids. Cool little demo.

I have owned several (like 3) of the OCD V4 and I keep going through a I like it/no I don't phase with this pedal. I think its just not for me with my rig. Still an amazing pedal-and I remember it sounded really, really good when stacked with a TS9.

20. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

I love my OCD but there is no way you can call it a "high gain" pedal.