I made a new pedalboard planning tool... PedalPlayground.com

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by travis_38, Mar 6, 2017.

1. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

pedalplayground.com

This has been a little pet project for me the last few weeks. It's a tool that lets you layout an imaginary pedalboard. I've cut out photos of around 200 pedals and input dimensions that will help you figure out the perfect layout and spacing for your board. It's definitely not perfect and I have plenty of improvements in mind but I figured I would tell you all about it in case it might prove useful!

To get started, just select a pedalboard from the list on the left and click "Add Pedalboard". Right now PedalTrain boards are the only option but I play on adding some Temple Boards, Salvage, etc, even an option to add a board with custom dimensions. You can also forgo this step and just use the grid to layout your pedals. The space between two dots in the grid is 1 inch.

Add pedals to the canvas by selecting them from the drop down on the left and clicking "Add Pedal". I've tried to include plenty of options but obviously the list of pedals that TGPers use is endless. I will add more as I am able! If a pedal you're looking for isn't in the list, that brings us to the next point...

You can also add a pedal to the canvas with custom dimensions, in the case that it's not in the dropdown. Just add a width, height (inches are assumed, input it in the fields as a decimal with no units), pick a color (click the green circle to reveal a color picker).

Once you've got pedals on the canvas, simply click and drag to rearrange them. You can also rotate them, and remove them by hovering on a pedal and using the icon controls. (Note that rotating can be a bit unwieldy right now — I'm working on fixing that).

As long as you're using a somewhat recent browser, your layout will be saved in your browser's "Local Storage". That means you can close the browser window, or even restart your computer, and your layout should be saved. However, if you delete browsing data, or open the site in a private/incognito window, that will not be the case. I'd like to get a more robust saving functionality but that's for another day in the future.

I hope it's useful to someone!

trav

------------------
    Edit: Please see the recent post for instructions on requesting a pedal:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. xcc

xcc Member

Very interested, but it's not loading for me.

agentcooper2001 likes this.
  3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

4. travis_38

I goofed. Should work now :)

xcc likes this.
  5. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

Working, opening for me. Nice job.

If there were a way to crowd-source the pedal adding, that would seem to be a big improvement. I tried to create my board for instance and only 3 of my 15 pedals were there. Some are rare, but some are Boss, EHX, ZVex, not odd units. But functions were working, add, rotate, search.

6. travis_38

Totally agreed. That's definitely a possibility in the future. I would need to figure out how to streamline the process. For now I tried to cover a bunch of manufacturers and at least some of the common pedal sizes. It will get better, I promise!

7. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

thanks man! very cool!

travis_38 likes this.
  8. yoyo1983

yoyo1983 Member

Coool... Works on android (pbplanner don't) can you add the tc alter ego x4 pllzzzz... Great work!

9. yoyo1983

yoyo1983 Member

Like the "add custom pedal" function but uploading the actual picture of it

10. J-PPP

J-PPP Member

Made one. I went for transparency.

[​IMG]

It could use some sort of export or save as .jpg function, and option to upload custom pedals as files. Overall, good job.

11. rjaneshek

rjaneshek Member

Great job! This works beautifully. Too bad only one of the pedals on my board (Pog2) is available. :D

I second the idea of uploading your own image if that were possible. It could be a full time job for someone to keep up with all the stuff coming out these days. It would certainly make it easier for you if you had some help from the public. Maybe you could then curate the best entries for QC and make the good ones official?

Still a very cool and intuitive interface. Keep up the good work!

Washburnmemphis and Dr.Lee like this.
  12. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Member

wow nice. almost got my whole board on there minus the EHX Micro synth.

def need some way to upload. If people could upload an image with a custom pedal that would be good enough since they have to enter the dimensions too!

really like the fact you can compare two boards of different sizes on the same page!

13. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

Nice work! Looks cool.

Inches? How quaint.

May I suggest sorting the pedals dropdown with the manufacturers in alphabetical order?

yoyo1983 likes this.
  14. yoyo1983

yoyo1983 Member

This...

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Are there any copyright issues dealing with representing images of pedals that maybe trademark images?
    Hopefully the companies are cooperative.

Auditory Driving likes this.
  16. travis_38

Yes I will make them alphabetical. For now I definitely recommend using the search within the drop downs

17. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

This. It's an awesome idea but I recall a response from the other pedal planner site being that they couldn't offer up all of the mfr's that people kept requesting because they were told "no" directly by the mfr's who weren't in the list.

18. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

If this takes off, the manufacturers should submit their pedals.

19. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

could you add custom size boards? none of those matches even remotely my home made board (it looks like it's sponsored by pedal train lol)

EDIT: my board is 36x18 with a top tier of 36x9

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    LSMFT6, coltonius and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  20. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Member

it should be easy enough to add an upload pedal image so people can add their own images, to the custom pedal option right?

eclecticsynergy and songtalk like this.