I may become the first person to die from Disc Golf

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kurt L, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

I hike regularly near a course. Haven't seen any deaths but believe me, you won't be the first and it won't be anywhere near the most embarrassing.

And if anyone wants to see embarrassing, humiliating and youtubably absurd near death experiences, buy me a camera to mount in my garage on a woodwork, cleaning or fix something on the roof day.

2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

It’s time to take up skateboarding while you can still walk!

3. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy PV = nRT Gold Supporting Member

“Disc golf”? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

4. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

5. rezidentura

rezidentura Member

Love this thread because, I disc golf for the first time last summer and I received hundreds of mosquito bites amazed I haven’t died of EEE by now

Kurt L likes this.
  6. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Well, that’s what the Professional Disc Golf Association calls it.

https://www.pdga.com/

7. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

I cede all disc golf events to you. Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Kurt L likes this.
  8. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

Kurt,

It reads to me like you aren't paying attention to your surroundings. Each time you stepped into something meaning you were not looking down.

Think of this as a good (but not physically healthy) thing. Life for you is going pretty good. When you are walking, hiking, or disc golf shepherding you are daydreaming.

I long to be in your head space.

I wish my best upon your mending.

9. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I felt like I was, just because I was crossing a ravine. But all the evidence suggests you are correct.

Thanks for the kind thoughts but you give me too much credit. It’s dark in here...

Non-Musical Hack likes this.
  10. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Several years ago I was out at a local course, practicing some drive tips I had seen that morning on the youtubes... Very successful day so far, I had added significant distance but I was up on a little rise which was exaggerating things. Perpendicular to the direction I was throwing in there was a nice flat run with an area for a tee spot in a new parking lot. Unfortunately I was wearing track shoes with the spikes removed because the hard ridges in the tread gripped the soft rubber tee pads really well. I found out just a few moment later that the hard plastic provides pretty much ZERO grip on nice smooth new asphalt... First drive ended with me flat on my face with a broken left elbow after my pivot foot flew out from under me as I viciously swung my throwing arm around backhand style for the uber drive. It was not the uber drive. I only had to walk a few feet to retrieve my disk before the drive of shame to immediate care.

Kurt L likes this.
  11. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Man, a broken elbow sounds really painful. I appreciate you sharing the story though... so maybe it’s not just me!!!

Hwoltage likes this.
  12. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

Kurt. For the record, I don't pay too much attention to my surroundings either.

I am aware of who is around me and who might be dangerous. Otherwise I am daydreaming or obsessing over something in my own head.

Glad to get offhand Monkey news from this thread.

Kurt L likes this.
  13. ray r

ray r Member

Never got hurt playing golf (the real golf, not that other kind with the sticks and the pimply little balls) but one time at a tournament I sprained my ankle playing hacky sack and then had to drive from CA to MS with manual transmission. If you get hurt doing something and then keep doing it, that's how you know it's fun!
    It's been a very long time since I was there, but there used to be a course in Round Rock that had a sign near the first hole "If it's too long, you're too old"

Kurt L likes this.
  14. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

You mean people can’t actually die of embarrassment?

Kurt L likes this.
  15. tanee

tanee Member

I threw out my back playing disc golf. Literally couldn't get out of bed for a week. That was rough.

Kurt L likes this.
  16. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I haven’t been out there in several years but I’m guessing that was Old Settler’s Park. That’s a very looooong course! (And lots of throws over water.)

Felt strange to give this a like, but I did so out of sympathy! Lots of trunk rotation in a strong drive!!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. tanee

tanee Member

Totally, I learned the hard way that it's best if your legs also move during the follow through. The worst part is the group I was with just laughed at me the whole time.

18. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I grew up playing competitive tennis (high school teams, USTA tournaments, etc.) and the proper motion to drive a disc is about the same as a proper backhand. Footwork, trunk rotation and arm must all be aligned.

It really is true... if you throw at 75% of maximum with proper form, it’ll go just about as far as if you threw as hard as you could. Smooth = power.

19. tanee

tanee Member

I don't even take a running start anymore. I get decent results just focusing on my form without a running start. Again, my friends usually make fun of me and I'm not sure why because.. I usually smoke them.

20. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

My friend, Randy, out-drives me by 15 yards per throw. He also takes an incredibly long amount of time to decide which disc to use, how he wants to stand, ten practice arm movements before he actually throws the disc. He usually beats me by 10 strokes; I beat him about once a year.

I still mock him mercilessly during a round.

And yes, you can get excellent results without a run-up to your throw! Cuts off a little bit of distance but not a fatal flaw. A slightly shorter tee shot, but I can usually make up the difference on the approach shot.