I may just be over selling amps because of this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cameron711, May 25, 2019.

1. cameron711

cameron711 Supporting Member

dalezjc, Gallery, Arf and 14 others like this.
  2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Well, he’s a bit abrasive. In my opinion you should have countered with a dollar amount instead of saying “can’t do much lower than the price”. What does that mean?

Something like $1800 is the best I can do. Thanks. Then, ignore the guy.

El Rey, MrKite89, buzzp and 9 others like this.
  3. DGA

DGA Member

If something like that bothers you, your skin is too thin for the game.

4. _sjm_

_sjm_ Supporting Member

If the posting was setup to accept offers then he wouldn't be getting them via PM. That should be the first clue to the tire kickers.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

You can have thick skin and still tell people to F off.

Gallery, Jon C, yallerhon and 46 others like this.
  6. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

In today's market anyone selling something should be prepared to haggle.

Check "sold" prices on ebay and Reverb then list yours at $100 or $200 higher than the average price comparable ones sold for. Then you have some room to haggle.

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Had something similar with a guy over the phone.
    He was trying to haggle my price down & said I could call him later if I changed my mind.

I told him on Monday morning it was being loaded in the car & I was going to sell it at GC or Sam Ash.
    He came over right away, paid my asking price & then flipped it the following week.

His ad didn't include the foot-switch or the expression pedal so I suppose he sold those for a profit.
    At first I was angry that he flipped it like that after the BS story he told about how he was needing it for a gig Sat. night.

Then I thought I'm glad he was the one who had to fool around selling those accessories separately.

DeadLazy, Ethan Seay, JPH118 and 6 others like this.
  8. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

good luck getting what you want. I would have said make it 1600.oo to the guy

HeavyCream likes this.
  9. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I would have listed it for $1900 + shipping and been willing to accept $1750 + shipping. People are used to haggling. As a buyer, one of the only times I won't haggle is if it's listed at a price that would be ridiculous to haggle over because it's already significantly lower than its usual average selling price.

zenas, Orm-D and HeavyCream like this.
  10. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Meh. I was expecting something bad.

11. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

@cameron711

Sorry you had to deal with such a jerk.
    On TGP, we have a certain standard of behavior.
    It's not a terribly high standard, but it's there.
    I wish I were a bit higher (although I've been guilty a few times!).
    I tend to expect the same standard, or perhaps higher, when money is involved.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Rod likes this.
  12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Just don't worry about it.

Ethan Seay, darchirnoj and Scrapperz like this.
  13. cameron711

Good insight and thanks for the tips. I priced it with room to haggle, but I think I’m just done selling stuff on reverb...and probably altogether...my skin is thick enough, it’s just tired of dealing with extreme hagglers..Thanks again for hearing me out! Btw, anybody want a Herbert!? Ha!

bubucci likes this.
  14. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

That's not that bad. I initially misread it and thoght he was just repeating his rejected offer—insisting—but now i see he was upping it by adding shipping. Sure, he's kinda douchey, and inappropriately vulgar, but at least the offer wasn't super ridiculous. In my most recent experience, applied to your pricing, the guy would have offered $1,000 and then sent three rapid-fire follow-ups demanding "no tax" and then "no shipping." That was obnoxious.

Peppy and jrjones like this.
  15. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

On occasion ya run into people like that.. as in they actually get upset because their haggling isn’t working and they realize they aren’t getting the amp they want.. I usually price something to be competitive among the others that are currently for sale.. like my Be-100 for example.. it’s the most affordable one on there.. especially since it’s the later model with the S switch. Had some guys ask tire kicker questions like does it come with the footswitch (when the title says it does) and how many hours were on the tubes.. i bought it used, I’ve had it 9 months, and the tubes haven’t been changed since the last time they were changed (before my ownership). There’s no signs of needing them as of yet.

If I buy an amp from someone, I already have in mind to change them so I personally know how much time are on them. You could tell me a month and the reality could be 3 years. Had an offer for $125 less than my asking price which wasn’t unreasonable.. I countered with $100 off.. yadda yadda yadda it’s still for sale..

There are idiots out there.. even had one experience where he swore up and down that he was gonna buy it... even said I’ll message ya after I stop at the bank to deposit the money that same day... never heard from him again.

16. cameron711

Even more troubling are local sales recently..had a guy who agreed on a price for my Herbie and wanted to confirm it worked and wanted videos of me cycling thru channels etc...so I did that etc...we agree on a time to meet and he texts me while I’m driving n route to cancel...knock on wood I’m not in dire need of the cash, but the expended energy dealing with some of these people just makes me want to keep things and keep enjoying them...I’m being forced to control my fickle amp ways and that’s probably a good thing....and I’ll stop rambling now!

wntbtw, pomfret and johnnyjj like this.
  17. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I think I've dealt with something like this or worse every time I've sold something. The offer wasn't even that bad IMHO. OP probably could have countered at $1700 and sold it. If you don't want to deal with stuff like this, you can always sell it on consignment through a music store.

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Member

We’re drowning in Nickel & Dimers IMHO.

If I am buying & the price is fair I’m happy to pay.

If the price is too high I’ll offer what I think is fair to both parties.

If I’m selling I generally list at a fair price + I always throw in DHL Shipping.

In the event that I get a stupid offer I just say thanks & move on.

I’m also lucky because when I am selling I don’t have to sell it & if it sits in my stash I really don’t care or mind.

:beer

Kurzman, FlyingsCool, Al Rose and 5 others like this.
  19. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

I have something listed locally to sell, and got an inquiry. The guy linked a Reverb ad for the same item (though not in as-good condition) listed for about half my price. The ad also had some crazy discount applied to it (don't know if the seller reduced the price or what; about 20-50% below the price of every other comparable item). Note that the other 12 Reverb ads had list prices in-line with mine (some higher), and many of them were not in as-good condition.

So the guy that inquired links the lowball Reverb ad and asks, "How is yours different from this?" I responded, "Well, you better hurry up and buy that one!"

Oddly, the Reverb ad is still there, so even at half what I was asking the tire-kicker didn't buy. I'm not losing sleep... :D

20. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I don’t haggle. Waste of time. I sell fine without entertaining ridiculous offers.