I may need some help deciding on a replacement acoustic...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Justin Hitchborn, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Silver Supporting Member

I've got this EJ-200 at home right now. Big, loud, fun...those are probably the best words I can think of to describe it. I do have some complaints though, which will hopefully make answering my question a little easier.

1. The jumbo size. I like the tighter waist, especially when sitting down with it, but it is just a tank. I'm not a small guy, but the angle my strumming arm takes to get over the body is just awkward, and tires easily.

2. Unrefined sound. I know this is a little nebulous, but it seems like the guitar is just all-go-no-quit-pedal-to-the-metal. That really big round sound is great when you want it, but it feels awfully excitable and unruly.

3. The pickup system. It sounded great, when it worked. Now I have an LR Baggs M80 in there, which is nice if not requiring more work from me to get it to sound how I want it. That being said, the M80 is heavy, and is sitting in a heavy guitar.

What I am looking for is something that can get LOUD when I want it to, but retain that refined character at all times. A cutaway would be nice, or at least have easy access up to the 16th fret or so. This guitar will be used for both live work and recording, so the electronics (or lack of if I can install the M80 easily enough) DO matter. Last requirement is something that looks simple and elegant. The EJ is a little outside my wheelhouse in that I like stuff that is striking but simple at the same time.

Let's say max upper end budget is $1500 CAD.

Outlaw likes this.
  2. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

Have you ever played a Larrivee L body, or an LV body?

3. Justin Hitchborn

I haven't, but the ones I found new locally are quite far north of my price range.

Outlaw likes this.
  4. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

Yeah, they are about $1,300.00USD.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I used to own a LV-19 Special Vine Edition, a friend has it now; great guitar and very rare, only a handful were made, according to Larrivée.

The above mentioned LV-19 SVE cost not too far north of your (theoretical) maximum price, used. You should easily be able to find secondhand Larrivées well within your budget. In the US, anyway, even considering the exchange rate.

Outlaw likes this.
  6. Outlaw

Outlaw Member

You, being in NE Ohio know better than I of Wildwood Music in Coshocton, OH. I’ve done a bunch of deals with them.

7. Justin Hitchborn

Yeah, used is certainly not out of the question. I'll try some and keep my eyes peeled on the used market.

Any other suggestions, just for points of comparison? Do I need to add any more data points to make this easier? I know it can be tough...talking about music, and all.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Yeah, I've know about them for several years, I just haven't gotten down there, yet. A friend of mine has bought a couple guitars from them, a Larrivée, and a Martin.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

My Martin. But, it'd be a bit more expensive than you want to spend. It has a Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend (2nd version), cutaway, lots of superb vintage appointments and construction features, etc. OM size. light and responsive, great feeling neck, and more..................

10. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

How about a Takamine? I played a P2DC a while back that was stunning. I almost bought it that day, but I like to sleep on things like that since it would have been an impulse buy. Went back 2 days later and it was gone.

This model right here.

Justin Hitchborn likes this.
  11. knotts

knotts Member

If you're not in a rush, check out the Farida Old Town (OT Series) from Elderly instruments. I've heard nothing but great things about their tonal qualities. I ordered one which was on back order and scored a deal on a used Waterloo which I could not pass up, so I had to cancel my order. They are based on the Gibson LG-2 and from feedback I've received, one person said it sounds better than his LG-2 and costs a lot less. They have a few versions out there. The OT 22 is made from a laminated back and sides. The OT25 is solid mahogany. Worth checking them out.

12. evening_crow

evening_crow Member

What kind of sound are you going for? As far as playability from a smaller waist I immediately think of Taylor's 54 models. Mine can get decently loud while keeping clarity. In that price range I'd recommend the 254ce koa dlx, 254ce, and 254ce dlx last (to me the standard sounds more open and dynamic). If looking at used you can obviously go maybe a model or two higher.

13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I would definitely hit the used market and see what's available. You might find a gem. The Yamaha LL16D seems like it would be a good fit. They are $999 on the street. You might be able to wiggle someone down some, but a nice used one would be cool.

14. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If that was $1500 USD I would recommend Halcyon. http://www.halcyonguitars.com/... They used to be within your price range but have been getting more expensive as their notoriety has increased over the last several years.

As others have mentioned, Larrivee is a good choice. Godin is a good choice. However, its hard to beat Eastman in the price range.

15. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Look for a used GUILD, and put a good LR Baggs pickup system. be Happy.

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

I agree the Guild GAD (imports) are a tremendous value. I got a rosewood dreadnaught cutaway with Case for under $700 and it is great.
    Breedloves in general had a clear and loud tone.
    But nothing is louder in my experience than an old matte finishe Seagul. The wild cherrywood back and sides also have great clarity.

Just my thoughts based on what I have owned.

It might be time for the OP to buy himself a J45.

17. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff ^Is a Cool Dude Silver Supporting Member

You can find a nice used Taylor for that price.

Elegant, great sound.

I own Taylor and Martin and a 1976 Guild D50.

If Taylor ain't your thing I would go with the Guild. You can find a nice vintage Guild in your price range. They are work horses and elegant.

18. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

I second the comment: Larrivee maked some awesome guitars,,dirt cheep!& I have an LV-03, its the best!!

jens5 and Bluesidae like this.