I may start collecting OD, Dist, and Boost pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HereIGoAgain, Jan 20, 2008.

1. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I've been wanting to build a decent collection despite the idea that I'm a straight-into-the-amp guy.

I'm set for now on guitar and amp, but I'm interested in decent overdrives, distortions, and clean boosters (treble boosters, mid boosters, overall clean boosters, etc.)

I do realize that there are inherent differences in tone, feel, and responsiveness between most pedals in this category. I also realize there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to pedals like this.

I already have an MXR Distortion III (the red one) and an MXR Custom Shop GT-OD (the green one). My local dealer is ordering an MXR Micro-Amp for me. In the past, I've owned a Boss DS-1, a DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250, and a Danelectro Daddy-O. (These were all sold for cash out of need :( ) I'd like some suggestions as to decent pedals that could give me sounds I'm not already getting.

I'm looking for:
    -Touch responsiveness
    -Allows different guitars to sound different (ie, won't render the guitar "faceless")
    -Gig reliability
    -(From dist and OD) Sound that isn't scratchy or obviously fake
    -Won't color the sound of the guitar when dis-engaged
    -Able to be powered with batteries or AC adapters ("Only batteries" and "only wall warts" need not apply)
    -In current production and commercially available. (Custom builds, one-offs, and "boutique" need not apply - I want to easily replace it if something bad happens)

Now, the not fun but important part.... Budget. I'm asking for suggestions in the $50-$150 price range new "street". If your answer is "There aren't any," please don't waste your time or mine. If you know a great pedal priced lower than $50, please go ahead and suggest it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sid

Sid Member

get on the list for the timmy

get yourself every barber pedal you can find

lovekraft mojodrive

i think the liquid sunshine falls within ur budget too

definitely look at keeley modded pedals i guess

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

it's funny cause i'm also a straight into the amp player but there's so many nice stuff coming out these days that one cannot resit it!!!!!:worried

MI Audio and Barber = bang for the buck!
    MI's: Blues Pro (round $110) Blue boy deluxe ($150)
    Barber: Direct drive ($120) LTD ($120) and now they have an offer of the Silver LTD ($100)

all these are awesome overdrives, check them out:BEER

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Anything by BJF. My recomendation to start you off would be a Honey Bee OD. its a real light overdrive for single coils but a nice crunch for hums. Check out custom-sounds

5. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

they sell'em for under $150?? if so, i'll put my clothes on and all my cash out of the bank!:crazy

6. asdf

asdf Member

BJF was exactly what i thought before you set your price range.
    With that in mind, i'd suggest what has already been said- most importantly get on the list for the Tim NOW, you won't regret it, then start checking out mi audio and barber stuff....probably your best bet in that price range.

7. thezeng

thezeng Member

Crunch Box: loves buckers and singles
    OCD: very harmonic and responsive

and alot more

8. Crikey

Crikey Member

Lots of good ideas in this thread.

If you're interested in treble/mid boosters, you can do a lot of tonal experimentation for little money with a graphic EQ pedal like MXR and Boss make. I got my MXR for $40 in the Emporium.

One of the magazines had a picture of EVH in the studio circa the first or second album. Visible is a 6-band MXR EQ with an unsubtle mid-peak setting, and most of the bands pretty substantially boosted.

Crikey

9. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    HBE germania-(treble Boost)
    Mojo Hand Mule

10. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Reverend's Drivetrain (I or II) were incredibly underrated, IMO, and if you can find one you can get it in that range.

11. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Ethos TLE accomodates for every one of my guitars and amps. Very smooth and natural overdrive.

12. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, get it modded by Analogman, if you buy ued you can do this within your budget requirements.
    Up until the latest price increase, any of the Xotic Boosters, AC, RC and BB. Used in great shape you can still meet the budget.

TheGrooveking

13. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Supporting Member

You need to give the Rockett Boost a look ! You will thank me later :AOK

Smoke'

14. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

There are a lot of ideas in this thread, and hopefully the ideas will keep coming.

I do have questions about the Timmy. Who makes it? Also, I tried to price it online, and an online retailer in California (forget the name) had the priced at $230. Is that the price for those who don't want to wait, or is that what they're going for?

The Barber stuff seems interesting. I'll give the rest of the items a look, rest assured.

:dude

Thanks again, and please keep 'em coming.

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Did you read his question or just post your typical shill answer??

About the question, I think you'd enjoy a Catalinbread Hyper Pak except they only use an adapter. I agree with all the MI Audio and Barber talk though. You can't go wrong there.

16. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The Timmy from it's builder PaulC is I believe either $119 or $129, I may be a little off, but it is in your range. I forgot to list this killer pedal, even though there is wait for this pedal, it's one of the best!

TheGrooveking

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

$105 I think. Even better.

18. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Hmmm. The Rockett Boost goes $349 stock, $389 upgraded..... I'm guessing the guy's a troll, a gear snob, or somehow works for the company.

:BITCH

And sincere thanks for your suggestions Rhodeo.

19. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

yes!
    i mean, is there a reason effects like that or BJF, Landgraff, etc. cost about the TRIPLE of the barbers, timmys or mi's???:eek:
    i guess there MUST be a reason...please someone explain me!!!:messedup

20. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

Well, **** like this happens on the AGF all the time.... "Guys, I need a good amp, but I only have $600. Any recommendations?" "Sure. Have you heard of Dr. Z?" :BITCH (In this case, the OP said $600, not $1600.)

I listed my budget requirements for a reason. Anyone who does not agree is invited not to respond to this thread. I'm really starting to despise the gear snobbery around here. Don't make me say this again.

For the sincere contributors to this thread, I do appreciate the suggestions.

Also, and Voodoo Labs love? From the specs, the Sparkle Drive looks prety cool, but I've never tried it.