I Miss Liner Notes!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by giltgitguy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. giltgitguy

giltgitguy Member

In the days before digital downloads, especially when music came on vinyl, I used to spend hours reading liner notes, lyrics, and credits. I remember poring over the glossy book that came with the original release of Let It Be. And being amazed to see a copy of the contract for the Who at Woodstock ($35,000,if memory serves) that came with Live at Leeds. The back of one Little Feat album had photos of (I think) Ritchie Haywards hospital bills from a motorcycle accident. Before I ever became a professional musician, I knew who all the prominent songwriters, studio musicians, band members, producers, engineers,etc of the day were. All that stuff was gold to me as a kid. Of course, now we're swamped with information about every minor detail about every minor celebrity, but in my day-to-day, I don't run across all the cool arcane info that I used to love. Is there a website where you can at least, get songwriting and production credits for current releases?

2. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

its really hard to clean a bag on the inside of a jewel case

3. giltgitguy

giltgitguy Member

Although I used to have a number of jewel cases with tell-tale scratches from cutting up rails.

4. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

they were good for some things tho...

5. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Led Zep - The Song Remains The Same or Frampton Comes Alive, had to be a double LP.

:bong

6. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Band "coke" mirrors were good for that before the CD.

7. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

They still press new albums on vinyl you know.

8. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Kids these days are really missing out. There was nothing like getting a (vinyl) record the day it came out and devouring the liner notes as you listened to it for the first time. Yes, yes, I know...old fart...but it was really fun at 14. And that's not even talking about album art, which ruled. That said, all the LP crackles, pops and skips sucked.

9. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Yes indeed, one of the many reasons that I still buy vinyl whenever there's a choice

10. lhallam

lhallam Member

Laying on my stomach on the living room floor reading and re-reading everything and meticulously studying the artwork... Abraxas for example.