I miss Terry Kath........

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by major-minor, Jan 23, 2015.

1. major-minor

major-minor Member

2. WheelchairBandit

WheelchairBandit Member

3. brn2run56

brn2run56 Member

I think had he hung around he would have been spoken of with the greats of
    that era. Only real guitar guys know how good he was.
    I am pretty sure I saw an interview with Hendrix where he was asked if he
    was the greatest guitar player alive and he said no, Terry Kath is better.

4. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Basking in the glow that someone thinks I'm a "real guitar guy"...

Saw him when Chicago was good, at the Washington & Jefferson College gymnasium in Washington, PA. It was a terrible venue but they still kicked ass. I'm glad I had duck tape to repair my jaw after seeing Terry, um, tear it up with the rest of the band. They didn't suck to bad either...:hiP

Man they kicked ass.

HMTM

5. major-minor

major-minor Member

He'll always be known by many as a great guitarist, but let's not forget what a soulful voice he had.

That's part of the reason for my OP. "Hour In The Shower" really showcases his incredible voice. Obviously a lot of Ray Charles influence.

The guy can do no wrong, IMHO. What a complete talent he was. This is the anniversary of his death in 1978. As I said------I miss him.

6. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

He was an incredible guitarist, composer and vocalist. One of my earliest guitar heroes though my own style is so dissimilar to his. Love listening to pre-1973 Kath-era Chicago. Loved the interplay between him and Cetera.

7. LPBlues

LPBlues Member

South of the 49th on an island in Canada eh!
    Not to take anything away from Terry but Jimi said that about a lot of people as a way of deflecting the hero worship that he disliked so much. Usually they were pretty great guitar players though, he wasn't naming Tiny Tim.

anyway, back to Terry.

8. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

I've discovered Kath recently, and it's obvious he was a stunningly good musician/talent

I remember where I was when hearing of his death

9. davebc

davebc Member

Man Terrys playing was excited in the early days! Damn!
    Circa CTA "I'm A Man" !

Terry gave a horn band rock credibility in the early 70's and that's saying something.

I remember Hendrix saying he admired Kath too.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Terry Kath is one of the reasons I learned how to play lead guitar.

Back in 1970 when I heard "25 or 6 to 4", I said to myself: "I have got to learn how to play like that!"

11. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Supporting Member

Saw him way Back. Was very Good Live. Was quite bummed when I heard he had died. At the time he was definitely considered to be right up there with Hendrix & others by us "Real Guitar Guys"

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

One of my main inspirations. He was the heart and soul of Chicago. His death profoundly changed that band.

Great player, singer, composer. A musical force for sure.

13. aknow

aknow Member

His band lived across the street in 1969-70, employed my brother as road manager. (Holly Dr. near Franklin and Hollywood Bl. in Hollywood) Terry gave me one of my 1st ever guitar lessons. He was a gracious and talented soul, had a great voice too.
    They were a great band before they went MOR.

14. major-minor

major-minor Member

Ummm.................Interesting.

Could you elaborate on any other details? I would be WAY interested.

15. aknow

aknow Member

Well a few.......my 1st joints, he helped my buy my 1st electric, a 64 SG std. which I still have. In those days, the only effects we had were a Carangella compressor, a Dunlop wah wah. Terry showed me how to use the wah through a late '50's Deluxe w/ the brown tolex, and lean on the amp's power to develop a good sound, which just killed. We had lots of great guitarists in the neighborhood at that time: John Uribe, (my mentor, played for/with Nillson, Jim Price, Bobby Keys, Stones, Gary Wright), Paul Cotton (Poco), John Mayall.
    Terry showed me a lot of things that are simple now, but seemed impossible then, like hammer-on's, hybrid picking, 2nd/3rd string bends, and vibrato techniques. Terry had an SG with a weird pickguard, and had a killer 58 LP burst.
    The real guitarists on that block used to have chopping head gatherings, and Kath could play most things faster and cleaner than anyone else.
    Most of what I remember is clouded in the purple haze, but more than anything else, Terry was real generous about showing me how to play things he knew, and was extremely inspirational. A true musician, I'm sure he's blowing some minds upstairs right about now.

16. major-minor

major-minor Member

That's just wild. Kath was a true hero to me, so I'm fascinated by stories of people who actually knew the guy. ( You're the first---by the way ).

Do you think that SG was the guitar he was pictured with on the CTA album?

17. bob-i

bob-i Member

I was fortunate to met him briefly during the first CTA tour. They played my HS and being n electronics guy I was assigned to handle stage power for the band. Bob Lamm had a problem with his electric piano and I helped repair a bad jack, Kath came up to do a sound check on his rig and he blew me away the way he played. We talked briefly and he was very cool. He was only a little more than 4 years older than me and he talked to me like we were peers.

The show was absolutely amazing of course. I was just as impressed with his voice as the way he played that SG.

His rig was a big Acoustic rig, in fact except for the Leslie's, all amplification and PA was Acoustic. Kath used a Bogan PA head as a preamp, but other than that and his wah, no effects.

Kath is perfect example of how we don't need vocal processing. Could you imagine him being autotuned? His lead vocals were never in tune, and that was a big part of the soul that was Terry Kath. His BU vocals were flawless, perfectly in tune and in sync with Lamm and Cetera.

18. davebc

davebc Member

Great story, thanks for sharing. Those were incredible times, everything was exploding at once,
    and everyone was just so damn talented you couldn't help but be inspired. :beer

19. bob-i

bob-i Member

Just 2 weeks ago I auditioned and was hired into an 11 piece horn band. The first songs they asked me to play were "Make me smile" and "25 or 6 to 4". Damn what a workout. My left hand was cramping, right wrist in pain, but I pushed through it and nailed the songs. After that songs like "Domino" and "Signed Sealed and Delivered" were a cake walk. Kath was a monster.

20. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I got to see Chicago with Terry something like three times. I always liked his playing and the sound of the band as a whole. To me, Chicago was done when they lost Terry. "Make Me Smile" still reminds me of my girlfriend when I was 17.