I miss the old Guitar Center Black Friday sales...

steve_man

Went into GC today just to check out the sale. Had not been at a GC Black Friday sale in a long time. I remember 10 or more years ago, there would be some SERIOUS deals to be had, and not just on cheap cases or starter packs. Deals on Les Pauls, Strats, Amps, you name it. $20 special run MXR pedals, killer deals on string packs, etc. Today, there were a few things marked down a bit, but nothing on that great of a sale. 10% off, maybe 15% on a few items.

I know they are going through some financial restructuring, but man... GC today (and it's sales) are not the GC of a few years ago.

First one that came to mind was the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded for less than $600 with a case. Any other deals that you remember from their "list" sales?

Hack Prophet

vile mighty wretched
Was tempted to bite on the 50% off the AKG K553 MKII headphones online, even though I already own a pair. 100 bucks is a steal for those cans, IMO

Ejphotos

Silver Supporting Member
Was tempted to bite on the 50% off the AKG K553 MKII headphones online, even though I already own a pair. 100 bucks is a steal for those cans, IMO
Got a set of those a couple years ago from GC...they were 50% off plus an additional 20% off. $80 was a no brainer for it...they are awesome headphones, use them all the time for playing.

Jecht

Man I wish they had that Les Paul Studio deal. I would jump on it so fast. I'm on the prowl for a deal on an LP Studio on Craigslist because I've never owned a Gibson style guitar before and apparently no one knows the difference between and studio and a reissue.

steve_man

Man I wish they had that Les Paul Studio deal. I would jump on it so fast. I'm on the prowl for a deal on an LP Studio on Craigslist because I've never owned a Gibson style guitar before and apparently no one knows the difference between and studio and a reissue.
They were pretty plain Jane, basic guitars. I owned one for a while. It was okay, but just never really took to it. The fact that it came with an actual LP case, and had the Gibson name on the headstock for that price was a big seller. They would sell out of that kind of stuff very quickly.

Also remember them selling MIM Fender Strats/Teles for $350-399. They're now going for around twice that amount.

Jecht

They were pretty plain Jane, basic guitars. I owned one for a while. It was okay, but just never really took to it. The fact that it came with an actual LP case, and had the Gibson name on the headstock for that price was a big seller. They would sell out of that kind of stuff very quickly.

Also remember them selling MIM Fender Strats/Teles for $350-399. They're now going for around twice that amount.
I've lately become obsessed with owning a 24.75" scale guitar because I've spent my whole life playing 25.5" strats and super strats. I thought an LP studio would be a good place to start. I've been offering my road worn strat for trade because I figured it would be an equivalent trade, but people aren't having any of it. haha

Went into GC today just to check out the sale. Had not been at a GC Black Friday sale in a long time. I remember 10 or more years ago, there would be some SERIOUS deals to be had, and not just on cheap cases or starter packs. Deals on Les Pauls, Strats, Amps, you name it. $20 special run MXR pedals, killer deals on string packs, etc. Today, there were a few things marked down a bit, but nothing on that great of a sale. 10% off, maybe 15% on a few items.

I know they are going through some financial restructuring, but man... GC today (and it's sales) are not the GC of a few years ago.

First one that came to mind was the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded for less than $600 with a case. Any other deals that you remember from their "list" sales?
It's not just GC, it's a lot of retailers these days...Sam Ash used to sell stuff for hundreds of dollars off (often the guitar would be worth more used than they'd be charging new) and now it's 15% off some particular brand that most people don't buy at full price anyway. I imagine it's tough now with everything that's been going on.

The good news is the goldmine that is GC used still exists :).

steve_man

I've lately become obsessed with owning a 24.75" scale guitar because I've spent my whole life playing 25.5" strats and super strats. I thought an LP studio would be a good place to start. I've been offering my road worn strat for trade because I figured it would be an equivalent trade, but people aren't having any of it. haha
I wouldn’t turn my nose up at the LPs by Epiphone these days. I’ve owned several LPs over the years (including Gibson), and the new one I just bought is the best I’ve ever played. Fantastic guitar.

A618EF91-3374-4DB0-8C56-1EC7B6A4A76F.jpeg

Trending Topics