I must be missing something here

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Joe, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Joe

Joe Senior Member

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

If it was indeed built by RC Allen, then what you're missing is the historical signifcance of the builder.

3. rjlaero1

rjlaero1 Guest

I've never heard of him.....anybody care to expand?

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

RC Allen built guitars for and with Merle Travis, Paul Bigsby, and Joe Maphis in the early days of solid body guitars. This particular instrument looks like a more modern iteration of the double necks that Joe Maphis played in the early to mid-50's.

EDIT: I should also add that I have absolutely no idea what this instrument should be worth or if it would have any collectors value, so please don't go bidding on it on account of anything I've said.

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

RC Allen has also built several guitars for my father, who's known him since at least the 50's. They are handbuilt in the truest sense of the word.

6. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

I've seen a handful, and they all have been pretty crude in build quality. So that must mean they have a lot of 'soul' and 'vibe'. ;)

7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Actually, I completely agree. I've had occasion to to do a pickup installation on one of my Dad's and was very surprised to find the pickup cavities (on a hollow guitar) to have been cut by hand (no router - may have not even been a power saw!) Dick Allen's a real old-timer and while his creations are fine so far as function and general appearance (well, maybe not on close inspection), they're definitely not objects of extremely fine craftsmanship. My Dad played mostly G-branded guitars during his professional career (Gibson, Gretsch, Guild) but he's known Dick Allen forever and has had him build a few customs which Dad designed. But you're right, even though he used premium materials, the fit and finish of the average asian-made guitar would blow them away.

8. ldarnell

ldarnell Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    1996 "Aristocrat"

9. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

WOW, nice!! hows it sound???

10. ldarnell

ldarnell Member

This gutiar sounds and plays great. Very responsive amplified, lots of acoustic sustain. I'm actually in the process of unloading it, as we speak. As we all know, it is written: 'there is a time for gathering guitars and a time to let them go.'