I need a Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by nemp, Jun 11, 2005.

1. nemp

nemp Member

I'm joining a top 40 band but have to switch to bass. I've played guitar for over 20 yrs but I gotta play bass now. Can ya recomend something under $300 or lower. It dosn't have to be anything special.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

I got a used 2000 5-string Fender Jazz bass (MIM) delivered to my door for $350 about 3 weeks ago. I saw similar quality 4-strings for around $300. at the same time. I think this is a better choice for me than to get the Squier bass pak from MF... for $179 (or whatever). You get a nicer bass that's a little more fun to play.

There are some pretty good 15" bass amps from $250. up on ebay as well, though I shelled out a couple hundred more for an SWR Workingman's 15 in new condition. I love the way the Jbass sounds through it.

Good luck!

3. Ron K

Ron K Member

A while back I asked Mike Lull this same question -- Mike is a bass player as well as a great builder and repair guy. He said for that money you can't beat a used Mexi Jazz bass. They seem to be available for around 300.

4. echo008

echo008 Guest

Hi ... Definitely check out Rondo music and pick up one of there vintage Jazz basses for around $150-170 ... they are a GREAT value for the money you wont be disappointed, Well made .....like I just posted in another thread it definitely is on par with my $700 Geddy Lee Jazz.
    - Tom

5. echo008

echo008 Guest

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I play guitar for a recording artist. When he does a coffee house type appearance, I play bass 70% of the time. I picked up a Yamaha 5 string bass for under $300. The quality is good, and it weighs less that some of my guitars.

7. Maction

Maction Member

the prices seem to be going up, but you might be able to find an 80's "Made in Japan" Squire Precision or Jazz bass for that price.

supposedly, these are the same basses that Fender was importing to the U.S. at the time, with a different decal.

my brother had one years back, and I remember it being a great instrument.