I need a dark speaker...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott_F, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

for an old Traynor YGM-3 2xEL84, bright as heck. I put a Red Fang in it and my guitars sounded great BUT, my buddy is a harp player. The amp is just overly bright to begin with.

I need to darken it up, increase the bass.

So, what 12" speaker? I'm open to Weber, Emi, Celestion, you name it. Thanks.

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

If you can fit a 10" speaker in there, I'd suggest an Eminence Delta Demon. I just pulled one out of a 2x10 cab. It was holding back the overall sound. It's a nice dark speaker, clear yet smokey sounding, with a lot of bottom end.

3. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

swamp thing= mids dark, highs moderate
    cannabis rex=mid warm, highs moderate

I choose those two because I'm assuming were going to want the slow breakup mode .... unless harp needs speaker distortion!

I would also consider something like a 5751 in v1 for less highs.

Also , kca site says harp players dig a 12ay7.

:cool:

4. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

I personally think my governers are pretty dark. Still breaking in and loving it!

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Fane Alnico Blue has a bit of a darker signature to it as well, and complements a bright amp perfectly. I have a pair in a THD 2x12, and it complements both my SLO, and my Konstellation incredibly well.

7. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

If you throw a blanket over it and like the tone then a Hempcone Tone Tubby should be just right.

:p

Dan

8. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

I have seen dozens of reviews on this site and others indicating that this is a fallacy; may be you allready had a dark pickup or amp which was not a match w/ this speaker. There is nothing in the frequency response graph to indicate this speak is like a blanket over a cab , and does'nt have ANY highs. Some folks like there speaks to be smoother, thats all.

Have you even tried one?? given it a chance w/ different amps and pups????

Like I said , Iv'e been intersted in this speaker , and although I haven't tried it yet, The reviews are 70% thumbs up and the other 30% (like you) hammer it as overly dark.I admit I don't know for sure but I DOUBT IT's THAT BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Eminence have some dark speakers (Swamp Thing?)...

10. SeanF

SeanF Member

Cannabis Rex.

I wouldn't call the Swamp Thang dark; the top end's smooth, but not muted, and the mids and bass are strong.

11. Joe57

Joe57 Member

One of my favorite speakers is the Eminence GB12 - it's a darker, British sounding speaker.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

True - it is dark... nice though...

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I have a hemp-cone Tone Tubby 12 in a Brown Princeton that I pretty much use exclusively for harp. Sounds great, IMO...

14. Reeek

Reeek Member

The darkest speaker I have ever heard myself and owned is the Eminence Legend V12.

15. Driver

Driver Member

old fane ceramics, like in the vintage orange and hiwatt cabs. i have an avatar 2X12 with them. they sound fantastic with my YBA-1A MkII.

16. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Have I tried one? :rolleyes: I wouldn't have posted that if I hadn't. I got one when they first came out, played it in a Deluxe Reverb, with a Germino Masonette, K+M Custom, Vox AC30, and a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr. I used Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, PRS, and Hollowbodies. I had it in a single 12 cab to compare with other speakers for 6 months. I played it as much as I could to get through the infamous breakin period.

I think I gave this speaker a good chance....

It's just not for me. I need some chime in my speakers. This speaker seems to appeal to players who have a buzzy preamp distortion going on because it smooths that out.

If you really want to know just go buy one. I'll bet you can pick one up used pretty cheap.

If I'm in the minority it seems strange that they ( A Brown Soun ) came up with 2 subsequent versions that are brighter.

Dan

17. DetourMS

DetourMS Guest

I heard an Eminence Swap Thing for the first time yesterady and I think it would give you what you are looking for.

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I had an original paper cone Tone Tubby, totally concur with Tonemandan, it's like a blanket was thrown over it.

There's a difference between smooth, and totally devoid of highs.

Put it this way, if you like G12H30s and Classic Lead 80s, or even Cele Blues, you won't like paper cone Tone Tubbies.

19. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

True, but for a harp player, they work *quite* well...

20. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Newer Fanes as well, at least the OEM 75 watt ceramics Jeff Swanson puts in his Hylight cabs. For the application described, these would be my first choice.

- DB