• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I need a dark speaker...

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Dave Orban
True, but for a harp player, they work *quite* well...
right, and apparently for the thread starter ... so I think that brand of Tubby would work for someone wanting dark speakers.

For me, I crave the upper end detail of note ... so they don't work for me at all...

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm not sure how "bright" your Traynor is, but if it's a dual EL84 design, I have an idea. When I did the Speaker Tonefest recordings a few weeks back, the 65Amps "London" had a dual el84 power section, but used the EF86 preamp tube, which might have more gain, and a different voice than the Traynor you have. In any case, the tone should be in the ballpark (just guessing though!), and if you have an mp3 player, check out these clips of the "London" and see if any of the Strat or Les Paul clips are in the ballpark. I'll link the directory here for you to check out.

http://scumbagamps.com/stf/

Try clips 02, and 04 through 20

Those clips are the "London" with various speakers, and guitars (LP or Strat).

The clip info is in this .rtf file (should be able to read it in Word)...

http://scumbagamps.com/stf/STF clip info.rtf

Boogs

I would give the Cannabis Rex a try - I got it to take the sting out of a single coil/EL84 combo and it worked a treat. Smooth/fat highs, warm/defined mids, and plenty of low end.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I called Ted Weber asking him the same thing for a too bright(imo) soul-o 45
and he sold me a C1265.....celestion style . At the time he told me it was Robben Ford`s favorite(fwiw).....anyway I`ve since sold the amp and kept the speaker .It sounds great to me ....It sort of makes a blackface fender sound more brown face ....a little less hifi treble .worth checking out .good luck

John Phillips

Originally posted by flatfinger
There is nothing in the frequency response graph to indicate this speak is like a blanket over a cab , and does'nt have ANY highs. Some folks like there speaks to be smoother, thats all.

Have you even tried one?? given it a chance w/ different amps and pups????

Like I said , Iv'e been intersted in this speaker , and although I haven't tried it yet...
If you haven't tried it, you don't know. FWIW, I haven't tried it either, so I have no opinion. But...

DON'T go by response graphs, they're virtually meaningless when it comes to speaker tone in real use. Have a look a Celestion's website (speakers I am very familiar with) - the graphs all look pretty similar. The speakers however sound very different...

When it comes to analysing tone 'scientifically', a word or two (from people who have actually listened) is worth a thousand pictures, IMO.

Dark speaker? I'd pick a V30.

flatfinger

I think your right on all points! I'm just amazed at how polarized the comments are on this speaker are!

It's really the hardest one to choose based on commentary because the ditractors are usually pretty strongly thumbs down and yet( unscientifically) about 66% say they like it!!

How many patriots and red coats?? do I want to try them all? .. Not really! ( that would take up waaaayyyy to much room in the closet, which is reserved for hundreds of pairs of ladies shoes!)

;;;;; so I read here , and yes , look at the graphs!

Interesting speaker though! Not the first on my list to try,...................Like I said , Don't wanna be one of those 34% highly dissapointed people!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the correction:p :cool: :p :cool:

Scott_F

Thanks for all the replies.... anyone tried the Mojo British Vintage series?

They've got a G12H30 copy that looks pretty good. I'm going to try to put a Cannabis Rex in my friends harp amp. Seems like a good place to start.

tonemandan

Originally posted by MikeyG
I had an original paper cone Tone Tubby, totally concur with Tonemandan, it's like a blanket was thrown over it.

There's a difference between smooth, and totally devoid of highs.

Put it this way, if you like G12H30s and Classic Lead 80s, or even Cele Blues, you won't like paper cone Tone Tubbies.
Hey MikeyG-I have a paper cone tone tubby too. I kept that one. It sounds great in the Deluxe Reverb. If you think the paper cone is dark you should try an original hempcone. They were even darker!

Dan

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
You're going about it the wrong way. The YGM-3 comes stock with a 1,000 pf treble bleed on the volume control. That's way too bright, knock it down to 100-250 pf and you'll be fine. And it's easy as pie to do, I believe you can see it sitting by the volume pot to the upper right of the picture.

That being said, I didn't care too much for the Red Fang I had in mine a while back. I'm thrilled with the MESA 90W Black Shadow that's in mine now.

Chassis shot:

Speaker shot:

Scott_F

someone on the weber forum had me remove the 1000k cap completely and that did WONDERS! I didn't put anything back in and it sounds great. I've got a red fang in there now, but compared to the stock speaker, it was 10000000x better. I'm going to put a few others in there and let him pick which one he likes the best.

thanks for all the tips.

John Phillips

Originally posted by flatfinger
I think your right on all points! I'm just amazed at how polarized the comments are on this speaker are!

It's really the hardest one to choose based on commentary because the ditractors are usually pretty strongly thumbs down and yet( unscientifically) about 66% say they like it!!

;;;;; so I read here , and yes , look at the graphs!

Interesting speaker though! Not the first on my list to try,...................Like I said , Don't wanna be one of those 34% highly dissapointed people!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the correction:p :cool: :p :cool:
Sorry, I re-read my post and it came across as a little abrasive. Not intended.

Taste is a strange thing. I have an amp to review at the moment (no, I can't say what) which gets endless rave reviews around here. I think it's... OK. Not bad by any means, but I really don't see what the fuss is about. I can think of many amps I'd rather have. I even sent the first one back because it was too muddy sounding - they sent me another, which is a lot better, but it still doesn't inspire me, and if I'd shelled out the cash for one I'd be in the apparent minority of disappointed people. So I'm having to base my review on my own ears and what I've read from other people, which I don't normally like to do, but in this case I feel I have no choice...

An equal problem is the other way round, and harder to spot - with something that I absolutely love, it's very easy to just write a great review... but other people might not like it.

Good call from Jon on the bright cap too, BTW.

flatfinger

John, no worries!!!!

Your right though one mans utilitarian piece is another's holy grail!!

I think I'll start abusing(er... using) th GC one month no questions asked return ploicy!!!!!!!!!!! that way you can really put gear through it's paces, to bad I gotta go there and be exposed to the endless wankage!!!!!!! gotta gettm to offer that policy on emeinece!!!!!!!!!!!!:dude

DanBoul

Hi gents . . .

I didn't read every post here so pardon me if I'm being redundant . . .

The newer Tone Tubbies are nice and dark without being muddy and woofy . . . I like them a lot!

The early ones were waaaaay too dark, but the newer ones are right on.

Cheers,

Dan

Trending Topics

Top Bottom