I need a dual zone receiver, I am hopelessly lost.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by EricPeterson, Feb 16, 2015.

1. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

anyone have some suggestions? Here is what I think I need:

- 2 zones, one for inside for our living room/dining room kitchen area (it is a big open concept), one for outside, with the ability to use both zones simultaneously. I am kind of on the fence if I need to be able to have different things playing in the 2 zones, I can't really see why I would need it, but I could see where it might come in handy.

I am going to have the following set up inside;

TV with:
    - Blue Ray
    - Chrome Cast
    - Chrome Box
    - Over the Air Broad cast

I really dont need or want surround sound, but I understand I will probably have to get one with 5.1 (I have no interest or need for 7.1) Inside we are putting 2 speakers in the ceiling, Outside will just have 2 speakers as well.

I am not sure how I want to do the switching, it might be easiest to just use the TV as a switch and then run the audio out from the TV to the receiver for amplification, should I consider using the receiver as the switch? I see that some have HDMI inputs with an output to the TV, unfortunately, I think I would still have to use the TV for over the air broadcast, or do they make a receiver with a over the air digital tuner?

Bluetooth and Wifi might be nice, I am not sure how that all integrates.

We mainly watch over the air broadcast, or Netflix/streaming options through either the Chromecast or the chromebox. For music I will use media stored on the Chromebox or a streaming service like pandora or spotify.

Any suggestions? I know budget is probably key here, I would like to be under 500, and hoping to be around 300, I am not sure if that is realistic. I am not an audiophile, I just want to be able to hear the music/TV, and be able to hear it outside as well.

2. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I use Chromecast with Google Play for music in the living room through the tv. Sounds great (and I have only a measly soundbar). Bluetooth speakers for outside and rest of the house, usually controlled from my phone. I researched a whole bunch of options and this one just kind of fell into place on it's own and was cheap. $40 for the chromecast, $300 for a couple of good bluetooth speakers, 8 bucks a month for Google Play.

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Yeah, that is kind of what we do now, but we are building and are having them install wired in speakers, I am actually leaning toward this Yamaha dual zone stereo (not 5.1) receiver, I think it might work perfect, I can just use the TV as the switch between all the sources like I have been, and then just use the receiver to amplify the built in speakers.

The other thing is I want it really simple for my wife, she understands how to work it right now, so I don't want to incorporate anything more complex.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have a Denon power amp, 5.1 capable, that features 2 totally separate 'zones'. I paid like $700 3 years ago for it - 120w/ side/ channel, sounds good. It's an AVR-2312I. Also has all the features you mentioned. Denon makes lower powered models with the same features for less.

Honestly if super audio quality isn't necessary, check out a couple local Big Box stores - my local Costco has a Yamaha for under $500 with all the features you mentioned.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

5. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

Take a look at the Sonos line. You can can do any kind of grouping with the speakers that you want. We love ours.