I need a Fat neck.

aaronblues

Supporting Member
Any Suggestions?

I'm mostly an electric guy, for sure. Main acoustic for the last 25 years is a Seagull S6, and I've never been comfortable with the neck. I've played a fair amount of Taylor's, Guild's and Martin's over the years also, and have never quite found an acoustic that's truly comfortable.

I'm definitely a strummer more than an fingerpicker.

My main electrics are Fender-style with U necks.
I doubt I'll find a U neck acoustic, but the closer the better.
Would consider different neck shapes (and body shapes for that matter, tho I tend to lean toward the bigger body styles), but neck Depth and Width are the biggest factors here.

Closest thing I've found in current production guitar is Waterloo.

Thanks.

mccreadyisgod

Unconventional, but worth mentioning: Rainsong guitars have a pretty chunky neck, enough that the thin-neck folk tend to complain about them. They can be a little harder to find in a store, but it sounds like it would fit your bill. I've got three, and I love them.

Frozen Rat

Gold Supporting Member
Some of the vintage Gibson and Martin guitars have beefy necks. Beefy price tags too.

Stringmaster

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Most Banner era Gibsons and the 1942 J45 Legends which were blueprinted from an original. The necks are typically a bit over 1” at the nut and round vs V-shaped. Many will describe necks as “chunky” but they’re no where near these. The only other option I can think of is going custom

Bryan T

guitar owner
Martin Authentics are worth checking out, though they are pricey. Some are 1 3/4 nut width, some are wider. A lot have deep V profiles, some more rounded. I have the OM18 with a neck I just love. Similar to a Waterloo I used to have.

If you like the sound, the Waterloos are a great option.

You might also look for 12 fret slothead dreadnoughts. A lot of those have wide, big necks.

MarkWW

Guild OM's are 1-3/4" and some have a fuller (thicker) neck. The Guild Dreds are (with the exception of the D-140 import at 1-3/4") mostly 1-11/16". I can't speak to the Jumbos. Seagull makes some 1.8" width at the nut guitars. Gotta kind of peruse through their web site. The Seagull Artist Studio is all solid woods and 1.8" nut width. Larivee also makes some nice chunky necks on certain models. I have never played or even seen a Larivee in this neck of the woods.

DaveNJ

Supporting Member
I was in the same boat as you - the Martin D18A has a nice sized neck. I was able to find a used Collings CJ which was spec'd with a larger than normal neck. Some of the Gibson J45 re-issues have larger necks (I think it was a custom shop 42 model, if I'm not mistaken). Good luck, it's not easy finding one...

auratnik

Well I have Seagull Artist a few years now and yes the neck is wider but the sound is very good for this price range. A band mate just purchased Takamine EF340STT and it sounds terrific, neck is on the fater U side but very comfortably to play. Great acoustic.

aaronblues

Supporting Member
Guild OM's are 1-3/4" and some have a fuller (thicker) neck. The Guild Dreds are (with the exception of the D-140 import at 1-3/4") mostly 1-11/16". I can't speak to the Jumbos. Seagull makes some 1.8" width at the nut guitars. Gotta kind of peruse through their web site. The Seagull Artist Studio is all solid woods and 1.8" nut width. Larivee also makes some nice chunky necks on certain models. I have never played or even seen a Larivee in this neck of the woods.
Thanks for posting.
I'd say I'm looking for narrow width, but most importantly fuller depth.

Cheers.

Killcrop

Supporting Member
You can find some Martins with fatter necks. Like the CEO7 is one. Its pretty similar to the Waterloo neck.

I have a Waterloo you are welcome to check out. It's a really fun guitar that commands more of my playing time than any other guitar I have.

aaronblues

Supporting Member
You can find some Martins with fatter necks. Like the CEO7 is one. Its pretty similar to the Waterloo neck.

I have a Waterloo you are welcome to check out. It's a really fun guitar that commands more of my playing time than any other guitar I have.
Did you grab from Detroit Guitar? I know they keep a couple in stock there, just haven't found time to get out there.

jads57

Supporting Member
I believe the Vintage Spec version of a Gibson J-45 has the deeper profile like the originals. Check the specs on Wildwood Guitars website