I need a fat, warm, smooth speaker for my Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Derelict, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

I have a WIzard in my peavey classic30 and it is just too darn bright. I want something thicker, darker, and warmer with a smooth top end, NOT a chimey one. Something that does clean and overdrive well. I have read post after post and done some homework and here's my short list.

- Weber 12F150
    - Eminence Cannabis Rex

Does anyone have experience with these seakers or any other suggestions you would like to share?

Thank You!

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I'm not even close to a speaker expert so take this with a grain of salt but the Weber Vintage British 1265C might be a good choice.

3. VanR

VanR Senior Member

The Weber 12F150 is a fine speaker but if you are looking for a darker sound I don't think the Weber is what you want. I found it too bright for my taste. Maybe try a Man O War or Classic Lead 80. My new favorite speaker is the inexpensive Celestion Seventy/80. Just the perfect response for my ear. Nice bass and the mids and highs have a little lift to them that made my amp come alive.
    Lots of folks seem to like the G12H-30 in their Classic 30's.

4. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I'd say Texas Heat.

5. Roe

Roe Member

perhaps silver bell?

6. Derelict

Derelict Member

my classic 30 has the eminence wizard in it, a g12H-20 clone. I want to steer in the other direction. It is too bright.

7. Derelict

Derelict Member

is the top end crisp or smooth?

8. Derelict

Derelict Member

would i have to go the alnico route, or would ceramic be just about as sweet?

9. Roe

Roe Member

the alnico might be a little sweeter - it has a softer attack

10. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Here's Emi description:

Nice warm, fat tone with a little top end bite and clarity. Very touch sensitive with a hint of British flavor."

This is from Tim at Earcandy Cabs:

Texas Heat
    Nice warm, fat tone with a little top end bite and clarity. Very touch sensitive with a hint of British flavor." This speaker will go down in the history books as one of the finest.
    This is the ultimate SRV type Scorching blues speaker. Capable of handling a lot of power, definitely one of the best speakers out in the last 10 years. This speaker has a huge fat tone, with warmth and clarity. The mids are bluesy and highs have a bit of a warm bite to them, which just enables a lot of versatility out of your 5 or 3 way pick up switch. Go from the scream to the dream in nothing flat. One of EarCandys Favorites for the Sovereign cabs, being used by the tube head blues players. Warmer and more bluesy than the Screamin Eagle and the cleans are to die for!

11. Boogs

Boogs Member

The description of what you want matches the Cannabis Rex (which I've used and liked lots with a Classic 30) to a "T" so far. The thing is, do you want this for smoother modern sounds, or for more vintage sounds, or what? I've heard folks that use the Rex for more modern hard rock, but to my ears it's all about more vintage American tones.

For clean/dirty blues, American rock'n'roll, country, jazz, and butter-smooth overdrive sounds it's boss, for sure. It's very warm, very full and clean, but isn't muffled sounding at all...great speaker.

Word of caution: mine took a long, long time to break in, and I would recommend running music through it to loosen it up if it doesn't sound right at first. Others swear theirs sounded perfect right out of the box, but I like to pass on my experience just FYI. After mine broke in, I absonlutely loved it, and am using it with a Wizard in a 2x12 cab for another amp now.

BTW, I'd make sure the Wizard is broken in as well before you ditch it. I used one in the Classic 30 as well, and liked it lots with all of my guitars - very sweet top end with my gear and my ears...for what it's worth. I'm trying out a Weber Blue Dog in the Classic now, but if it doesn't work really well with all of my guitars, I might go back to the Wiz. Go figure.

12. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Cannabis Rex would be my recommendation. If you get it and find you need something with a little more top then go for the Texas Heat.

13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i always liked the weber blue dog ceramic in the pv c30's i've used. for a darker sound maybe a weber silver bell or even a thames.

14. Derelict

Derelict Member

i play more modern music, but want to sound more vintage; you know, a very American sound. my main axe is an SG Classic and my backup is a G&L Tribute Legacy, so i am using single-coils 95% of the time. i am not against a british sound, might like to try silver bells, but the wizard has this upper-mid peak that is painful for me to hear; just not smooth; and i have probably 30 hours on it. my single coils sound like icepicks through it. and its a 1x12 small cab, so now matter what i am not gonna get a huge low end. even if the speaker is really raw, i don't care...i just have to end that upper-mid peak that is killing my ears.

15. Derelict

Derelict Member

how close is that ceramic to the alnico? still as warm, just with harder attack?

16. Derelict

Derelict Member

yeah, i would LUV to soften the attack and get a nice compression, but DANG.... $170 for an alnico silver bell is steep for a speaker i have never heard in person in a classic30. have u any experience with a weber 12A125O ?

17. janek

janek Member

18. Derelict

Derelict Member

19. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

A Celestion G12H30 would fit your description.

Dan

20. Boogs

Boogs Member

The Rex is amazing for single coils - it is my favorite for singles!

Also, +1 on the Weber Blue Dog. I had a 30-watt ceramic loaned by forumite Snakum this winter, and loved it so much that I ordered one for keeps. It is just getting broken in, and after playing it hard today, including A/B'ing against the Wizard. I have decided it's my favorite for humbuckers (what I mostly play). It's a tough choice between the two for cleans, but the Blue Dog loves my pedals much more.

Lots of options, but for singles...the Rex, in my humble opinion, with this amp.

David