I need a gain pedal for Praise and Worship

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theroan, Sep 3, 2008.

1. theroan

theroan Member

Hey all, I need some help. So I just bought a Mesa Mark 4, so now my whole set up is changing. Originally I was playing a Mesa F-50 with an MXR 10 band in the loop (which I now no longer need), with a Catalinbread Silver Kiss mk2 for cleanish leads, a metal muff for 5150 high gain and the 2nd channel for middle range gain or 2nd channel w/contour and different settings for Mark style gain.

Now I plan on using
    Channel 1 - Clean
    Channel 2 - Cleanish leads
    Channel 3 - Metal style gain

Which then leaves me without a kind of middle of the road distortion for Hillsong United kind of gain.
    I know nothing about TS 808's or TS9's or the Fulldrive or should I use channel two for this gain and keep the silver kiss for clean leads?

HELP!

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Any of the Tube Screamers, the BB Preamp, or the Barber Direct Drive would probably fit the bill. They all do that sort of Marshally gain thing. The BB is higher gain and more compressed than a TS9, and the Direct Drive is similar to the BB, with still a bit more gain and compression.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the FullDrive. It's cool in that there are several gain modes and two footswitchable drive levels, but it imparts an AM radio-ish midrange honk that I can't seem to get rid of. I've had a couple of them. I guess I keep trying to bond with it. It's not a terrrible pedal by any means, and obviously lots of pros like them, so YMMV.

3. jrm

jrm Member

I've had the other experience myself. I like Fulldrive with my Mesa Rectoverb at church. Good luck!

4. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

Try a tubescreamer. It will get you in the Hillsong United overdrive ballpark since thats what they use.

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Get a Analogman Silver Mod'ed TS style pedal.

6. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I have found the BB to be less compressed than a TS9, much fuller and thicker.

7. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Metal Muff in church? Nice.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Almost any OD should get you that mid type stuff a TS-9 based pedal should do good.
    I use a CMATMODS Signa-Drive

9. theroan

theroan Member

Probably not, but I want give the best I can whether they know it or not. The same argument can be used with emo kids and bar flies.

10. theroan

theroan Member

To everyone else, which Tube Screamer, the TS 808 or the TS 9?

11. m@2

m@2 Member

TS 9 gets my vote

12. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Kind of depends on the song. Hillsong has several different guys that rotate in/out, I believe. If you check some of their blogs/videos around you will find... TS9, TS808, Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde (which is TS808 voiced), Cusack Screamer Fuzz (TS808 + Fuzz mix), Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (TS808 + clean mix)....

Any of those should get you in the neighborhood.

13. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I think some people might be surprised at what those old people like and what they can appreciate. Giving your best and trying to get a good tone for P&W in my opinion is the ultimate and when you care about the songs and tone you are putting out at church, it is going to shine through and help everyone get to the place they need to be when singing or playing praise. Is it better to be on your A game and have your tone in best shape out at the bar? Or, is it better for you to have things clicking in church? I honestly know what I care about more and the crowd I would much rather express my feelings and emotions too.
    Having put out that reverse bash, I like Keely Modded TS9s and I really like Keeley Modded Boss SD-1s even better.

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

If your looking for cheap than go Bad Monkey.

15. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Let's please stick to gear recommendations, not religious discussion. Several posts were deleted and a few folks earned themselves infractions :(

That said, the TS9DX has possibilities and is cheaper than the TS9 reissue.

16. slambango

slambango Active Member

poor guys, they were set up by the "for worship" in the title. That's baiting ain't it?

17. tele-steve

tele-steve Member

Our praise band leader loves the Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp "Top 40" songs of Christian music. I've found that I can cover the sound and leads of about 99% of the songs with just a Fulldrive II, set for light rock and boosted to a little crunchier rock, and an OCD set for medium heavy crunch that border on metal. (close to Kutlass and others) I would say out of the last 100 songs we worked up, one used delay, a few others with some funky sounding chorus, or vibe sounds, but nothing the average listener would notice if missing. That said I thing my next pedals will be a Deja Vibe type pedal which should work well to give some variety to solos, and a delay for the same reason. Any maybe there's a Christian rock song somewhere using a Wah but our band hasn't done it yet.

18. theroan

theroan Member

Hmmm I've gotta compare the Fulldrive and the TS9.

19. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

+1 on the Jekyll and Hyde. Plus you get two different types of OD/distortion out of it and you can combine them for a third version.

20. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I use a filter quite a bit (cocked wah), and am gunning for my buddies Keeley Nova Wah next payday (dual fixed wah pedal). That really makes things jump out of the mix. On some of these tunes, they use the wah almost like a volume pedal to build suspense under the progression or sometimes individual chords. It is true that the average person won't notice. But come on, that's what we buy all these nifty toys for! :)

for example - Mighty to Save... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq8RysN5pAA