I need a good Harmonizer w/Custom scales

JasonD

I realize I could just get an AXE FX 2 or XL but it seems like so much overkill to me. I have a timeline for delay, and I am thinking about getting a Big Sky for verbs and shimmers. I also have two great amps. The AXE would be FX only. The only thing that I still need is a good midi controllable harmonizer. 2 voices with customizable scales. As much as I want to love the Pitchfactor it has some weird tracking or something to it that I don't like. Also this is for live use as well as recording. Thoughts?

lhama

The H9 is the same as the Pitchfactor. Eventide is the king of harmonizers, so you have to go with the rack versions, if the pf doesnt suit you, but how hard have you tried it? The quadvox algo has delays build in it's voice, so you can do Ballerina and stuff. Turn the delay time to zero, and you've got no latency. Gain issues are another common problem. Take the time to set the switches right.

Chrome Dinette

The Pitchfactor does not have custom scales, but the rack units do.

In fact, I think newer Pitchfactors and ones whose software have been updated have fewer scales available than earlier versions, if the discrepancies between my owners manual and the one on the website are noted.

I am pretty sure the EH Ravish Sitar allows you to play any custom scale into it that you like, but that my just be for droning moreso than pitch shift.

JasonD

Chrome said it. The PF doesn't have custom scales. That to me is a deal breaker. So the questions is what to get? I could get a used G Force or H3000. But I will be using this live as well. Some of my songs have several patch changes where the harmonies change through out the song. I have also heard that is a problem with the Eclipse, which I was also looking at. Is the only intelligent harmonizer that is good for live use the AXE FX?

The Pitchfactor does not have custom scales, but the rack units do.

In fact, I think newer Pitchfactors and ones whose software have been updated have fewer scales available than earlier versions, if the discrepancies between my owners manual and the one on the website are noted.

I am pretty sure the EH Ravish Sitar allows you to play any custom scale into it that you like, but that my just be for droning moreso than pitch shift.

AnalogKid85

Chrome said it. The PF doesn't have custom scales. That to me is a deal breaker. So the questions is what to get? I could get a used G Force or H3000. But I will be using this live as well. Some of my songs have several patch changes where the harmonies change through out the song. I have also heard that is a problem with the Eclipse, which I was also looking at. Is the only intelligent harmonizer that is good for live use the AXE FX?
One thing nobody's mentioned yet: the cheapest--though by no means the best--way to get custom scales would probably be with a cheap mixer + a Digitech ISP-33b. The pitch shifting algorithms in those were made by IVL--same as the original Whammy--and they put a LOT of useful stuff in there (all the Whammy stuff is there!). Reason I suggest the mixer though is that they are supposedly big tone suckers, so if you want to keep your dry notes intact you'll need that.

Remember than with the G-Force, you can do a custom scale (it's global)--you can change the root note per preset, but not the scale structure itself once you've set it.

JasonD

That is not good news about the G-Force. It doesn't have to be a cheap way. I mean, I'm willing to spend within reason. AXE FX2, Eclipse, or other bigger Eventides used. I just don't have to budget for a H8000FW .....or see the point for guitar.

One thing nobody's mentioned yet: the cheapest--though by no means the best--way to get custom scales would probably be with a cheap mixer + a Digitech ISP-33b. The pitch shifting algorithms in those were made by IVL--same as the original Whammy--and they put a LOT of useful stuff in there (all the Whammy stuff is there!). Reason I suggest the mixer though is that they are supposedly big tone suckers, so if you want to keep your dry notes intact you'll need that.

Remember than with the G-Force, you can do a custom scale (it's global)--you can change the root note per preset, but not the scale structure itself once you've set it.

Trending Topics