I need a good pickup for my Martin J-15

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Denny, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I had a B-Band in there - stopped working - it sounded ok - but I want a better sound - no peizo noise. I'd prefer to keep it under $200.00 if possible. I don't really want to carve up the guitar, but if something sounds really natural, and can get up there in the volume with out feedback- I'll consider it.

Thanks for your help.

Denny

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The old Dearmond 210 Pickups sound very nice and are often within the $200 you are willing to spend. On Ebay, just wait until you see one come in range and pounce, or suggest a best offer of $190 or less for those who list a pickup for more than $200.

I have one each of the RHC-A and a RHC-B, and they both sound the same to me. The only difference is an ability to raise & lower the poles with a screwdriver with the RHC-A; guess that's an advantage. You don't have to modify your guitar at all unless you are wanting to install an endpin jack.

Well worth checking out; wait for the right deal to come up and you're golden.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

The problem with wanting maximum volume before feedback is that piezo undersaddles are best for that. The more dead and unresponsive the acoustic is, the better you'll do with any pickup as far as how much volume you can get before it howls. A good choice might be the Baggs I-Beam. It doesn't have as much raw gain as a piezo undersaddle transducer but has a natural "woody" sound. Since the endpin is already drilled, it could likely be installed for $200. Less if you do it yourself with no drilling necessary.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

With regard to feedback, what is the primary type of venue in which you play the guitar?
    In a band environment loud enough to create a feedback issue, the natural acoustic sound of the guitar will become a sacrifice. That is why you world class performers (Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow, etc.) With nice acoustics on stage but with sound hole covers to limit feedback. That step undoes so very much of the distinct sound of the guitar and lets the internal pickup become the primary voice.

And LR Baggs Para DI does a great job of fighting feedback issues, but sells for around $150. Doesn't leave much budget for the actual pickup.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I have a bunch of DeArmond 210s in the house as well as the odd Kent - a few of which I have had with me since the 1960s. I had to replace all of the cables but other than that they just keep on working. They are great if you want that Elmore James/ Lightnin' Hopkins vibe but they are not everybody's cup of tea. While you do not need to modify your guitar to slap them on they can chew the heck out of the edge of the soundhole if you play aggressively.