I need a high-end tremolo: Empress vs. Cusack?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phlussy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Phlussy

Phlussy Member

So I'm looking to add a nice tremolo pedal to my board that can do the normal trem thing well (from smooth to choppy) but that can also get really weird, interesting, unique, cool, and, ambient, synthy, and anything else (and easy to do all of these things in a live setting without a hassle).

I've narrowed it down to the empress tremolo and the cusack tap-a-whirl, though i am open to other ideas (the goatkeeper looks interesting but seems too big and complicated for my needs).

What do you guys think???

If it helps, my band plays psychedelic rock and funk with a decent amount amount of improvised jamming. My rig is:

hamer newport pro > vox wah > small stone > CMATMODS ross compressor > maxon od9 > mojodrive > Tim > disaster transport > dd6 > delayla > tu-2 > hot rod deluxe

2. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

I also spent a lot of time listening to different ones and looking for certian features. I settled on the Catalinbread Semaphore, it's up soon on my list to buy.

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

Cusack is best of breed hands down.

24 waveforms
    Rhythmic waveforms
    Tap tempo
    Ramp up
    Ramp down
    Presets
    Small size
    True relay bypass
    Volume control
    Great tone

4. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

The TAW is truly a great buy.

5. ptown65

ptown65 Member

I own a Cusack TAW w/ 24 waveforms and it is awesome , but I am thinking about buying an Eventide Modfactor. It is fully programable - it not only has tremolo, but is has a phaser, chorus, flanger, vibrato, ring mod and you can control all of it w/ an expression pedal. Also, it is upgradeable via usb if any new software updates are available. Food for thought. This all in one box might be a space saver on crowded boards.

6. sandman

sandman Member

Empress fans raise your voice! :D

Seriously though...how 'bout a more detailed comparison of features...I like the idea of 'two speed mode' on Empress...can you do that on TAW?

How about: THE SOUND...?

7. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I never tried the TAW, but the tube setting on the empress is the best trem sound I've ever heard...so with all the rave reviews of the TAW above I really don't think you would go wrong with either.

8. fenderbender07

fenderbender07 Supporting Member

I gotta go with the Empress! Has a ton of available features... more than one could realistically use. The sound IMO is fantastic- rich, warm, and very musical. After listening to the TAW, I thought that it sounded mechanical and processed. I'm sticking with the Empress! (Who needs 24 waveforms anyways??!)

9. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

is the Empress all analog??

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Empress for tone!! I still own the original version without the tempo led.

11. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

I thoroughly enjoyed my Cusack. I let it go for something without tap tempo and with a manual speed knob.

12. speed12

speed12 Member

Yes, the empress is all analog in terms of signal path. It basically has a digital controller for the LFO, so you get all of the benefits of loads of different wave forms, tap tempo etc but the audio signal always stays analog. A very clever idea I think!!

13. vorvick

vorvick Silver Supporting Member

14. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

for simple and GREAT sounding tremolo stomp boxes...Diaz Tremodillo or the Demeter Tremolo pedal

15. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I love my Empress Trem.

Doesn't mean I don't want a Cusack TAW and Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper.

cheers,
    Ian

16. radcliff

radcliff Member

It does the rhythmic stuff that the Empress does.

I love the Empress fans that boast the options but then can't compete with the options of the cusack and then decide "who needs em!" is the best excuse:NUTS

Cusack sounds great too. Both of these trems, and I've owned them both, SOUND real clote. You're not going to get a sound upgrade unless you get the Vibutron.

17. tstaires

tstaires Member

I bought an empress about 8 months ago, and still loving it more and more everyday!

18. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I'm buying a Tap-A-Whirl myself. It's the older version with 8 waveforms. Looking forward to it as the clips sound amazing in my opinion.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

don't forget dr. scientist! it can do weird and synthy fer sure. i love my dano trem, by the way. . . . great GREAT sound. no special fx though.

20. Phlussy

Phlussy Member

I've looked at the dr. scientist but am really into the idea of tap tempo. It sounds like more people like the TAW, but that I can't go wrong either way. Is it easy to change waveforms and patterns on the fly in a live situation with the TAW? Is it a problem that there isn't a dedicated rate knob?