I need a hit Chorus!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Nov 1, 2005.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

lads,

Finally getting my rig together. The missing link is a chorus pedal. Ok, and maybe a an uncolouring OD and a Teese Wah, but I'll get back to those later.

I'd like a nice and bright chorus pedal. I was first looking at the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble, but then I realised that I don't want a 70's type damped chorus but an eighties type "bright" chorus. Any ideas? Don't mention T.C electronics because I dn't like the look of the box. Hah, good reason, eh?

The MXR stereo chorus clips sounded good but is it true bypass? Will it annihilate my tone when turned off?

Best,

Tom

2. MattB

MattB Member

I really dig the Visual Sounds H2O. It isnt true bypass but that is what my loooper is for. Plus you get a great delay.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks,

b.t.w. who makes good multi true bypass loopers? You know, ones you can stick on the front edge of your pedal board to control all the effects?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

5. mustangman

mustangman Member

im liking the analogman mini clone chorus. its a modded clone of the first issue of the EHX small clone, but instead of a detph switch theres a knob for more versitility.

6. MrSage

MrSage Member

7. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

The Boss DC-3 can be fairly bright but still subtle. Also don't forget the Arion SCH-1 which is also very bright.

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

Some people find the DLS Chorus~Vib a little dark, but, IMHO, you can't go wrong with that one. It keeps your original signal untoched, as it blends it with the chorus. It is stereo, and Output B is a little brighter than Output A. If you like thing a little more bright, you can use the Output B as your main output, runing it mono.

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I think there are two chorus pedals that matter:

Analog man & Maxon CS550.

The analog man is more transparent and may be a bit brighter. The Maxon is fat and chewy and has a delay knob that adds some depth.

I have the CS550 and have used it for a few years, but the few times I have tried a Analog man I have wondered at the possibilities of changing.

10. MattB

MattB Member

11. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i can get SOOOO many sounds out of my chorus VIB

13. Hank Linderman

Hank Linderman Supporting Member

I have the DLS also - wide range of sounds, very well constructed. Downsides are that it is a little large, and is power supply only, no batteries.

Best....H

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to think about the DLS. I'd like to try before I buy and there is no way of trying one of those in Finland :(

Well, I gave the MXR Stereo Chorus a goin the local store and it sounded pretty good. Actually it sounded very much like the chorus sound I've had in my mind. I was able to get a nice 80's bright and "cold" sound, if you know what I mean? The EQ helps alot! You can also dial in some fat darker sounds with it. B.T.W, it had a killer leslie sound!!!

I'm not absolutely sure about the switching though. Is it true bypass? Also, it's quite expensive. For the same amount I could get the Analogman Chorus, the Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble or the DLS... What are your opinions?

Cheers!

15. Fernando

Fernando Member

The MXR is not true bypass. I know, it sucks not to be able to try pedals before buying them. When I bought the Chorus~Vib it was a blind purchase. But luckly, it is THE chorus for me. I love it. The sound clips on the website are a pretty good reference. It can do all that and more.

I like the MXR too, just prefered the DLS.

Good luck!

16. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i am fairly chorus savvy

for a more tc like brightness, i would have to recommend the fulltone choralflange over the retrosonic, analogman, or dls

i had both the tc and the ce-1, and the ce-2 for that matter, but now use the arion sch-1 for it's lushness and ease.

but if i had to get another, i'd suspect it would be the fulltone for sparkle, or the analogman for smoother warble

17. aeolian

aeolian Member

I had a Line 6 chorus pedal. It had a cool tap/speed feature and tri-chorus effect that got that Metheney sound. It was too clean and bright for my tastes. I like the smokeyer sound of my Roland better. But might be the ticket for you. Built like a tank too. You could pull it off your pedalboard and take out a drunk at 10 paces, no problem.

18. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Wow...How can you say that. The DLS smokes them all. :D