1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I need a light, inexpensive combo for Jazz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EvilMeow, Mar 6, 2006.

1. EvilMeow

EvilMeow Member

Well, the last few years have been interesting, as I've shed a lot of my past playing style and been practicing jazz heavily. I joined my college's jazz combo a while ago, and the peavey that I've been using is extremely unreliable, and I have no amp of my own that's appropriate to bring along on the road at the moment.

I'm looking for a nice deep clean jazz sound. I currently play an Ibanez AF105 most of the time. If it has decent overdrive, all the better, though that's not my main priority.

I have no idea what's out there these days, as I haven't been in the gear scene for a couple years.

The most important thing for me is that it has to be reliable and lightweight without breaking the bank (I am a student now, after all). The smaller footprint it gives the better, as well, as lots of time there's not a ton of room in the van, and it's only a 5piece group anyway.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Zucker? Lerner? Soloway? Tag?

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I used to consider this to be one of the toughest questions to answer. I now consider it to be an absolutel no brainer: the new Roland Cube 60 modeling amp. For $350 new, it's one of the best bargains I've ever encontered. It's tiny, loud, lightweight and has just all sorts of usable sounds. Here's a clip I did with mine playing my 7-string using the blackface model. The way it handles the low A string is simply spectacular.

http://www.jimsoloway.com/TascamDemos/E078-1.mp3

3. EvilMeow

EvilMeow Member

Wow, that thing sounds great. $350? Hell, I guess that's pretty hard to beat.

It's funny. I never used to be very particular, and all jazz tones sounded the same to me until I started actually playing it

x_X

4. OOG

OOG Member

after hearing (and buying) a Micro Cube
    i had to order one of these

i agree with Jim
    it's a no brainer
    the blackface model is stellar for your application

5. donalddlaird

donalddlaird Member

Hi,
    Have you seen the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralite, it's new but I have ordered one just on the information on the Fender

6. Roe

Roe Member

alessandro working dog series jazz amp

7. EvilMeow

EvilMeow Member

Thanks, Asle! Do you know if there are any places in Houston that carry the Working Dog series?

8. EvilMeow

EvilMeow Member

I don't even know. Just some older 1x12" combo. Low and high gain inputs, etc. I think it might even be an older Bandit. Peaveys are generally extremely reliable, but this belongs to the school and has been beaten to hell and back in the last ten years. It's not a slight to Peavey. The amp itself is just in really bad condition.

9. Jim Soloway

Outstanding amp but it's about $1500. Your standards may be different than mine, but I wouldn't describe that as inexpensive.

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Cube 60. And add R&B, Fusion, Funk, Country, Alt Country, Country Rock, Blues etc to the applications list please. Probably works for hard rock and metal too but you couldn't prove it by me.

The weight and size will spoil you too.

hunter

11. brad347

brad347 Member

The "industry standard" is the Polytone Mini Brute, I used to have one but I'm not a huge fan. I am a jazz player myself but I don't get into the whole "hi fi" jimmy bruno kind of sound... I'm a tube amp guy through and through. To that end, my "throw n' go" amp is a 90's Fender Pro Jr. Give it a try and A/B with the roland and maybe the Polytone to see which suits your needs best. It weighs 23 lbs and is as loud as you'd need for most jazz. Just begins to break up on about 4, sounds nice with an archtop (i alternate between a '53 epiphone with a floating pickup and a Gibson ES-347) no feedback problems ever even with the carved-top epi.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'm about to grab an Evans. Jazz amps are their specialty, and they're friendly and knowledgeable to deal with. A newer feature on their line of solid state amps, is a tube preamp to warm things up. I've seen more than a couple of pros using them as well. AC

13. brad347

brad347 Member

Agreed. Evans makes a pretty good amp for jazz or pedal steel.

14. scottl

scottl Member

Tag could probably chime in here.... Doesn't he suggest one of those Fender reisuues?? Maybe the Deluxe?

15. Roe

Roe Member

it's inexpensive when you consider it's a new high quality amp with ptp wiring.
    the head is 1100; a 1 12 combo is 1400.
    http://cominsguitars.com/amp.htm

16. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

This is always an good topic that I always see many good opinions/answers. I don't think there is one definitive answer though.

I think the first thing to do is figure out if you want tube or solid state. And then for wattage, it depends in your band situation and how loud you need to be...and whether you want a little breakup in your clean tone or no breakup at all.

I also have an Ibanez AF105...great playing guitar by the way and a good bang for the buck if you don't need a top of the line archtop. The amps I now have and find all work for jazz (and are inexpensive) are:
    Carvin Nomad: 1x12 50 watt tube combo. I find the 50 watts are plenty to stay clean with little breakup. Though I haven't played with a loud B3 type situation.

Carvin Vintage 16: 1x12 5/16 watt combo. Switchable between 5/16 watts. I've used this in small jazz jam with drums/bass/sax and cut through fine. Though I do have to have the volume up pretty high and it will break up if I push it too hard. Works great in a duo situation though.

Roland Cube 60: 1x12 60 watt solid state combo. The JC channel is super clean and the 60 watts are good for me. I haven't had a chance to use it in a full band situation yet though, but am anxious to. Others like the Black Face model on the modelling channel. I'm often leary of modellers, but this one sounds good and can get you any sound between its models from jazz to metal.
    I was trying to compare the sounds of the Vintage 16 and Cube 60 for jazz recently (the Nomad stays at my rock bands space). And I quickly recorded a clip of All The Things You Are. It's just a basic chord melody type thing with little to no thought put into it...was just to compare the two amp sounds (tube vs solid state). I don't know which I prefer still. Anyone have a preference as to tone between these clips?

Vintage 16: http://danjulie.com/music/mic_testing_carvin_attya.mp3

Cube 60: http://danjulie.com/music/mic_testing_cube60_attya.mp3

17. Jim Soloway

No, that makes it good value (which it is), not inexpensive. There is a very big difference. BTW, I owned one for a while. It's a very good amp, just not what I would recommend to someone who specifically asks for something inexpensive because they're a student.

18. EvilMeow

EvilMeow Member

Yeah, it's a killer deal, but not "inexpensive"

You know me, Jim. I've spent rediculous sums of money on amps, but I think those days are on hold until I get back out of school.

I'm not opposed to looking at a $1200 (or $2500) amp, but not right now, as I'm back in school and quit my job recently.

That said, if I see one cheap and it rocks, I'd probably grab it.

19. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Tech 21 amps for jazz here? I've tried a TM30 and I've seen and read about some (alex skolnick, sheryl bailey, les paul) using the TM60 to some success for jazz. But I've also heard there isn't much clean headroom on the clean channel for most. There's the TM60 and TM30 combos which maybe don't have enough headroom...but how about their head version (TM300) which is a whopping 300 watts? Wondering how using that head with a decent cab would sound for jazz. Anyone try one?

The thing I like about the Tech 21 amps is they're all analog. Every now and then I get tired of the tube mantainence for my tube combo and think about going solid state.

20. carltonh

carltonh Member

A simple SS clean amp used but reliable for under $250: Carvin SX series. Put a Zendrive, Banzai Fireball 2, or Menatone Howie in front of it for Jazzy overdrive.

Also, if the V-Stack amps come out soon, they will be cheap. Don't know when they'll be released though.