I need a little boost help for VOX AC30(D13) suggest a Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jun 5, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I am currently using a Divided by 13 RSA31 which is a balls to the wall AC30, basically what I am wanting to do is boost the volume of the amp for clean passages, add some of that sparkle, and just get a little more cream out of the amp. I am not looking to crunch, or get the amp to sound good at low volumes. I have played with the amp and love its tone, but there is some magic when you find a little pedal that you leave on all the time that adds that sparkle that life that mojo, I want something that lets the amp breath and chime and be clean but louder and with that mojo. Tell me what I try out, what is the best options for this? And do I need an extremely loud boost, I see alot of these boost advertised at like 30db etc. etc. do i need a ton of db to do what I want. or will the extra db's just make it crunch? I already have a few killer OD's, and just want that clean leave it on all the time sparkle pedal. I am also running blue bell speakers, with telecasters and dont need or want something overally thin and bright.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

My friend has a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso that does exactly that. I think you should try it out. There are many other pedals that will do the job too but the simplicity of the SCP is appealing. I don't think you'll need that much more db's, cranking the level will just drive your amp.

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

I agree, a huge boost will probably saturate the amp and mess with the sound you already love. I use a Vox AC30 & Kinman equipped Tele myself and have found nothing better than the BJF pedals to sweeten the partnership up without influencing the amp's response in a negative way.

I use a Pale Green Compressor which is on all the time, it adds presence to the mids and sparkle to the top, which can be tailored via an unusual control labelled 'Body' the PGC has plenty of volume boost on tap and it enhances the AC30's 'chime' and 'sparkle' better than anything I've tried. It could have been designed for the Vox sound!

The BJF Sea Blue EQ would also allow you to enhance the subtle areas of your sound without altering the feel. It has more than enough boost available too. Personally I believe a subtle compressor will deliver what you need. The Diamond Comp gets great reviews too, but I'm far too content with my PGC to try anything else. Good luck...

Tea.

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I use an RC Booster with my AC30 for level boost on clean or nearly clean parts. I've previously owned and used a TC Booster/Linedriver, Fulltone Fatboost and Durham Sexdrive.

Overall I just like the no-nonsense transparency of the RC plus the versatility of the EQ-being able to adjust treble and bass if required. The gain control enables you to add a little compression or amp style "sag" if you wish.

The Durham Sexdrive had a great vibe to it but was sometimes just a little spikey with my Tele bridge pickup.

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Another vote for BJF. The Red Rooster is great.

6. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

talk to Fred about his "lift" pedal or do you have the switchazel? It can channel switch and has the "lift" in it...Just makes the amp "one louder"....

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I'd go the RC for anything clean to mild grit.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Hotcake or Hotcake Bluesberry (slightly smoother gain structure) + EL84 amp = a GREAT and dynamic clean boost to a "clear" sounding OD... highly recommended.

9. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

the byoc tri-boost is 3, 3, 3 boosts in one. it's a little more complicated of a build than some fo the other byoc pedals but it is really versatile. 3 different boost circuits to choose from and one of the circuits has the option of treble boost or full range boost. my valvetech hayseed custom likes one circuit and my valvetech vac 50 watter likes a different circuit.

10. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

Can't agree more. I built a Triboost not long ago. Having the clean, linear (my favourite so far) and the germanium with the additional tone switch have really opened up my options. It wasn't that difficult to build (I'd never soldered anything smaller than a 1/4" jack before). The build was rewarding and doing my own custom finishing was a blast too :AOK