I "need" a new drive #firstworldproblems

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by djgroovy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. djgroovy

djgroovy Member

Hey guys, I am not satisfied with my current OD pedals for medium to high gain rhythm playing. I am using mostly semi-hollow and hollow guitars into a '64 Fender Bandmaster with a 1x15 custom cab. I use a Box of Rock for my low gain stuff and a couple different medium gainers for lead, with a Timmy to goose but I need that higher gain pedal for rhythm. I am leaning toward one of the Barbers as I really enjoyed the Direct Drive I used to have. Any users of similar gear with advice?

2. 3 chord me

3 chord me Member

OCD, maybe a fuzz pedal?

3. nealh999

nealh999 Member

Try to check out an OCD. I had a version 1 or 2 that I really loved. It can be glassy and cutting, or it can be warm and thick. 18v can give it an open high headroom quality. It's not voiced like a Barber though, and there are tonal differences between versions. Gearmanndude had a YouTube shootout of versions 1-4 up for a while. The only reason I don't have the OCD on my board is because I loaned it to a buddy out of state - mainly to give myself an excuse to buy more pedals...

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I have a Bearfoot Model H 4knob that I'm selling in the emporium (shameless plug, i know) but it definitely does the high gain rhythm thing very well. It has far more guts than I need, I'm more of a low gain OD and fuzz kinda guy.

5. dapinaje

dapinaje Member

Check out the cmatmods signa / super signa drive. It's very versatile and it have enough gain for your music I think

6. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I just picked up a T-Rex Yellow Drive; it's a dual overdrive / distortion that is sounding pretty good on my board. It has a good crunch tone for rhythm and distortion which sounds good for lead work.

7. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Bearfoot Model H - yes for sure. The 4 knob version might be good for you too as its more versatile.
    The Honey Beest might be a good option too.
    If you can't tell I really like Bearfoot pedals.

8. mc2

mc2 Member

What does the "#" mean?

9. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Internet shorthand for "Collect this post with others of similar nature"

The 'firstworldproblems' is a cultural reference to an internet meme.

The # is a character Twitter uses to group group posts of similar topic.

10. djgroovy

djgroovy Member

Yep. Just being dumb. :bonk

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I use a solidbody into a BFDR-type amp w/2x10 cab--I love the Solidgold Superdrive for medium + rhythm; super articulate, sounds like your amp cranked but better. PGS demo sucks, but its Superduperdrive demo is good for about 10 seconds. :( -E

12. nealh999

nealh999 Member

Thumbs up to the Signa Drive as well. I have a Signa and a Cmatmods 3-knob compressor in the same enclosure from back when, and although it's on the medium gain side, the compressor really kick it for leads, and it also stacks really well.

13. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

If you like Barber pedals, check out the Unlimited, or even the Dual Unlimited.

14. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

With the clarification, that is actually pretty funny.

I have become such a web doofus...