I need a new guitar: suggestions really welcomed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sketches, Jan 27, 2012.

1. sketches

sketches Member

I need another electric as I only have the one functional one at the moment. It's a Jazzmaster and I'd put it towards the more non-conventional guitars the way I have it setup. It's very hard to get the tones I used to get out of my Partscaster Tele. The only issue with that was I spent upwards of $2,000 and a lot of man-power to today's standards (this was 5-10 years ago). I don't want to spend that much. I'm thinking of brands like G&L and other "slightly modern, awesome sounding" stuff I hadn't heard of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I guess criteria is always important when asking for advice so without further adieu:

- Must have minimal noise. I like my Jazzmaster as is and has plenty of mojo regardless of the amp. It is quite noisy though and I need LESS if possible (it isn't the amp, etc, and yes I will look into getting another pickguard made to try ground it better or whatever but I don't want to ruin this current setup/wiring/anything!! it sounds great!).

- Preferably single coils but I'm not against a humbucker in the bridge or something so-long-as-it-works.

- Budget around $1,000~$1,500 but I don't want something that I'll need to change the pickups. Setup, fret work, etc I don't mind but sound is really important obviously but more so I just don't have the funds/balls to mod it further with the amount of work I know that goes into making a proper Partscaster (absolute last choice in which case I will forgo setup rights and fork out $300 which is actually quite good for a local (legend of a) tech to do all the dirty work). Again; costs I'd like to avoid as I know there should be a slew of guitars around my budget.

- Some brands I've been researching but don't know all too much about are G&L and law suit Gibsons and stuff. I've played for example one of the Yamaha variants with super-output pickups and it was the cleanest most amazing best I'd layed hands on. With a price tag of over $3k it wasn't worth it for dignity reasons alone for forking out that much for something I know he paid less than $400 for and I know I can get for $1k if I wait (local vintage stuff is out of the question due to this reason).

- I hate quilt finishes. I prefer natural or a solid colour. I'd prefer not to go hollowbody as I already have an Epiphone dot.

- Something that I don't need to mod and sounds great out of the box.

My main aim was to try get a PRS Studio which I absolutely loved but it's $2,800 price tag is way over my current budget.

2. craigoslo

craigoslo Member

52 hot rod tele would be a nice choice.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

G + L.

Noiseless. But covers single coil sounds convincingly.

Budget: Perfect.

USA G + L Comanche. That's as close to a target as I'm liable to ever get. :^)

[​IMG]

4. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

G&L ASAT Special. I would even suggest the semi-hollow version. The Swiss Army knife of guitars. Just a fantastic guitar in every way.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I agree with G&L Comanche (and in the color combo posted above)!

If you really think about it the Comanche is what the modern Stratocaster should be. G&L kept the best parts and improved the ones that needed improvement IMO.

6. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

Yeah, I like the G&L ASAT Special. Those pickups are really something. Mine's been in almost perfect tune for two months now. I really dig it. Play it constantly.

7. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

I'm in a similar boat, and also very interested in G&L's. Last year I had the pleasure of playing a G&L SC-2. The advertised price at the shop was a hair over $1000, it had the Large MFD pickups (they're single coil), and kind of a mustang body shape. The fit in finish on it was wonderful, and the pickups sound incredible. My favorite part was the neck, it just felt right. I've been wavering back and forth between going for one of those, or trying to get a USA made ASAT special. They just seem to be really well put together guitars that are slightly left of the normal Tele.

8. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

I know you want to stay away from partscasters, BUT...

For your budget you could get a used American Deluxe Strat, a set of Kinman pickups (by far the best sounding noiseless pickups I've ever heard) and one of their solderless control harnesses. Installation is easy-peasy and the sound is fantastic.

Get a new pickguard as well, sell the old pickguard with pickups and controls on ebay to recover some cash and you're good to go.

9. sketches

sketches Member

Wow. Must be on the same wave length. I tried out a couple of Comanches yesterday and they were definitely interesting. The shop isn't my favourite in terms of how their guitars are setup/etc. so I might have to look around a tad more before finally making up my mind but so far so good. I tried out the 'Bluesboy' model and I quite liked it even though I'm kind of sick of the Keefcasters (previous Tele was one). I'm really interested in trying out the Special and if they both end up inspiring me I may have to just give in and buy both. My Epiphone Dot needs a bit of work in terms of pickups, electronics and hardware so I might sell it and buy both if it comes to it.

But the Comanche definitely has my vote in sound... I just gotta play one that isn't setup for a Norwegian Death Metal coverband lol.

10. pb641

pb641 Member

I have your solution: 2006 Anniversary Deluxe Std Strat with locking tuners, S1 switch, and noiseless pickups. (noiseless means exactly that, none). These have actually gone up a bit in value, but you can find them in the 1100 to 1500 range in near new condition. Good luck.

[​IMG]

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The PRS Starla, ended my tone quest. It sounds good in both humbucker and split-coil mode. You can find them with or without a Bigsby. They also come with P90 or Mira pickups. But, I recommend the Starla pickups. They sell for $1000 to $1700.

[​IMG]

12. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

13. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I'd just like to point out that quilt finishes are often natural. But I get it: no quilt-tops for you. :)

G&L are a great choice for bolt-on guitars. At least as undervalued in the used market are Hamers, in case you want to pursue the Gibson vibe.

The G&L z-coil pickups are really nice. I've had an ASAT semi-hollow with them since like 97 or so. A few days ago I bought a used Legacy HB and it's awesome too, but not noiseless out of the box.

I know you said you don't want to mod it, but given that impulse may not last forever, I'll add one caveat for G&Ls: apparently there are no "mass market" aftermarket necks from the likes of Warmoth, etc. I believe at least one of the usual part suppliers will replicate a neck you send them (and probably modify it from there to your specs), but it's not as easy as for a Fender-brand guitar.

Good luck making your choice!