I need a new pickguard and it doesn't exist!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Markorock37, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Markorock37

Markorock37 Member

I have an 80's Kay strat copy I am restoring thats been in the family since day one. In '89 I destroyed the pickguard putting in a humbucker in it. I'd like to get it looking good again but its a slightly different size than a regular strat. Looking to see if anyone can make one reasonably or know where I can get one. I have the original still. I'd like to do it in tortoise 3 ply.

2. GWDavis28

GWDavis28 Member

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Any decent repair shop will be able to cut you a new pickguard using the original as a template. I do it all the time.

4. Markorock37

Markorock37 Member

Pickguard paradise looks pretty cool! Pricey but cool designs. And they work off your tracing so you can make it how you want.

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

http://pickguards.us/

Chandler is great. I had a couple "traced" ones made by them. At my door in 7-10 days too. I'd send them my "modded" one and tell them what you want different., Very easy to work with and you can speak with someone.

7. Sweetfinger

huh. if people are paying that, I need to raise my prices!

8. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

strat and LP pickguards are one thing.....anything else is $40 plus from any of the above mentioned companies

9. Sweetfinger

EXACTLY!!
    I've practically been giving mine away according to those prices!
    An "aged" white pearloid Strat pickguard from Pickguard Heaven is $67 plus $13 shipping. Walk into my shop and I've got new ones on the wall in standard config. for $18 and I've been custom cutting for $45.
    Even a standard black, white, or parchment 3 ply Strat guard is over $50 with shipping!
    Consumers these days are so damn lazy they'd rather sit at home in their underwear in front of the computer wondering why they can't find exactly what they need instead of driving a couple miles to the store/shop that has it.
    EVERY SINGLE TIME someone has brought a "custom" pickguard in that they bought online, it:
    A. Didn't fit exactly
    B. Is less than carefully finished
    C. Cost at BEST, the same as I would have charged, usually a lot more.
    A guy just brought in a parto-jazzmaster with a Warmoth pickguard. It has (to me) unacceptable router chatter and tear out. He also had to modify it to fit.
    I can understand if you live out in the sticks and there just isn't anything close, but the people I see live in one of the largest cities in the U.S., and one that is IMO, over-served with regards to guitar repair shops. There's no excuse for not making a couple phone calls or emails to see if what you want is right next door.

10. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

I've had this done a couple times. It's not very expensive either.

11. Yelloman

Yelloman Member

I have been repairing guitars on the East Coast since 1980 and I have to say that I have never installed an after market replacement pickguard without having to modify it! A little file there, some dremeling there, and Strat pickup holes...never fit the pickup w/cover! Often the neck socket cut out must be adjusted to align the mounting screw holes! Etc....you get the idea! $45 bucks for a custom cut...Sweetfinger should be in the mail order business too!

12. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I got a flat black ASAT Guard for $33 plus shipping to help me go from this:

[​IMG]

to This:

[​IMG]

It was well worth it to me. WD wanted $60 and another place or 2 was over $50. I called every local shop that I frequent and exactly ZERO of them were interested in helping me get a new one made.

With that said. I'd be happy to contact you for future guards and pay a similar price to the Chandler $ since you're a TGP'er

13. Markorock37

Markorock37 Member

It would be great if someone in my area could do that! I almost thought about making my own, but there are guys out there that have it down a whole lot better. And for $45 or thereabouts its not worth my time to make it myself. Some things are better left to the pros, so I just may send my old pickguard in to Chandler. As soon as I get my other strat back together again I'll send it out.

Brian that tele is sweeeeeet!

14. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Thanks Bro! It's a first year ASAT....I left out the headstock though.

I love this guitar!