• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

I need a new tone!

stratmaster48

I've got a Gibson es335 > teese rmc3LE > peterson strobostomp > line 6 m13 > modded HRDeluxe

Although my tone is pretty good, i want to be able to get "more" out of it. I think i want a different amp, but i'm not really sure where to start. I play a lot of melodic jazz stuff and I want my clean channel to have a nice punch so I can roll the volume knob off to relax the tone a bit. I hear my favorite guitarists play (Pat Martino, Jimmy Herring, Pat Methany, Mike Stern, ect..) and I feel like my tone is nowhere near what they're doing. Please Help :huh

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
The H&K Tubefactor is a pedal that will add punch without giving it a narrow EQ or compressed OD pedal tone. You might want to try some different pickups too, I feel my typical humbuckers never seem to provide the punch of phat single coil types in cleaner settings. Playing the amp louder with an attenuator may help as well.

Some of it is playing style, try hitting the strings with more elbow grease.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Try out a PRRI or A DRRI or the new Delux. There are amps that will get you there, but I don't think the amp you have will work for you, ever. THis all also depends on wheter you are playing at home or with a band. THe Delux has a lot of cool sounds besides the natural clean tone it has, but it doesn't have spring reverb.THe Blues Jr? is not a good candidate for you.

stratmaster48

Try out a PRRI or A DRRI or the new Delux. There are amps that will get you there, but I don't think the amp you have will work for you, ever. THis all also depends on wheter you are playing at home or with a band. THe Delux has a lot of cool sounds besides the natural clean tone it has, but it doesn't have spring reverb.THe Blues Jr? is not a good candidate for you.
I agree. I've played the DRRI and the Twin over and over again, but I just don't feel that they work well with pedals. I feel they suck tone when a chain is involved. I play with multiple bands from jazz/fusion to hip hop to funk to electronic.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
I use a Fender '59 Bassman RI and I'm always impressed by the tones I get out of it. Very dynamic and has all the punch you need. Great clean tones. Similar circuitry to a JTM45. Put a tube screamer in front and you're done. Good luck.

ocripes

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a Gibson es335 > teese rmc3LE > peterson strobostomp > line 6 m13 > modded HRDeluxe

Although my tone is pretty good, i want to be able to get "more" out of it. I think i want a different amp, but i'm not really sure where to start. I play a lot of melodic jazz stuff and I want my clean channel to have a nice punch so I can roll the volume knob off to relax the tone a bit. I hear my favorite guitarists play (Pat Martino, Jimmy Herring, Pat Methany, Mike Stern, ect..) and I feel like my tone is nowhere near what they're doing. Please Help :huh
What kind of mods to the HRD?

Oddos

Try some boost/light od pedals. Also, take a look at you cables and check the influence of every component in the chain while bypassed.

teleamp

Don't know why you would blame the amp on this. This is likely coming from the pedals and cables. Do some testing of your own and hear for yourself.
Agreed, everything between the guitar and the amp is usually the culprit, then adjust the amp accordingly to compensate.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
If you're adding OD pedals to your clean channel, keep in mind that most pedals add a lot of compression. IMHO a TS-9 is not a good choice for pop unless you're setting the OD low and boosting with it. Digital OD models are probably more compressed, at least the ones I've tried have been on the compressed side.

Flameout12

I have all mogami cables that have been tested and work perfectly, and all of the pedals I use in my chain are true bypass.
I've got some higher end true bypass pedals that suck my tone, even though you'd think they wouldn't.
Not everyone has an ear for this, but unfortunately I do so I'm kinda anal about it. I'm currently running only one pedal and 2 cables. But my amp is a channel switcher and I have rack stuff in the loop.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom